Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/183828-future-performance-boating-we-our-own-worst-enemy.html)

Doug E. 04-07-2008 08:23 PM

Socalstone, I have to disagree with your statement, " I think
most preformance boaters are generally more knowledgeable of the rules then the average boater". Let me ask you a question, two boats are approaching each other from right angles, at close to the same speed, which boat is the stand on vessel. Everybody that reads this should know the answer to this question.

BlackJack58 04-07-2008 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter (Post 2515421)
Don't get me wrong.
I'm also the guy that waves at every boat as I pass.
And I would never leave a fellow boater (no matter what type of boat) stranded.
That is just a law on the water.
But, there are alot of guys with the "big" "fast" offshore boats that have an arrogance that I'd rather not associate with - I've met several hear just this winter.
I'd still tow them in if their chit breaks though.

Well said. That's the first rule we all should have learned as kids. You just treat people the way you'd like to be treated...

onesickpantera 04-07-2008 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Doug E. (Post 2516892)
most preformance boaters are generally more knowledgeable of the rules then the average boater". Let me ask you a question, two boats are approaching each other from right angles, at close to the same speed, which boat is the stand on vessel. Everybody that reads this should know the answer to this question.

Anyone that has seen caddyshack should know that one! :D

The boat that has the "right-to-left" course is the stand on vessel.

socalstone 04-07-2008 10:04 PM

If both boats are powerboats, the boat to the starboard side has the right of way.... unless one is a sailboat, which always gets to stay on course. (I'm pretty sure)

I don't mean to imply that every performance boater knows every rule in the book or every knot at the dock, and I don't claim to.... The "performance" guys I have known have always been more knowledgeable and aware than your average guy who thinks boating is neat, and buys a general recreational boat and takes to the water.

socalstone 04-07-2008 10:41 PM

OK, just looked it up..... aside from proper maritime terminology, I do have it right.

Interesting thing though... I didn't know the reason behind the red light-port/green light-starboard setup.....
but this directly relates- At night, the stand on vessel "sees" a green light. While the give way vessel "sees" a red.

Airpacker 04-08-2008 07:45 AM

3 lites. red,green,white. If you see red and white, the vessel you see is travelling from right to left, if you see a green and white light, the vessel is travelling from left to right. If you see red and green, its coming head on towards you and if you see white only, its travelling away from you.

Tom A. 04-08-2008 09:07 AM

There are a lot of a-holes in the world who ruin it for everybody no matter if they boat, fish, sail, or not. Half the B.S. legislation out there is because someone acted stupid and hurt themselves or others.
I am the first guy to wave to another boater whether they are a fisherman, sailboter, or in a kayak. Sometimes they don't appreciate me, even when I am doing nothing wrong, and occasionally I have gotten the finger. You know what works great when that happens, just smile and wave back.....that really pizzes them off and you were still the gentleman.

Originally Posted by donzimanva (Post 2516510)
Hello. I don't post much. Read a lot of the posts. On this topic, I'm inclinced to chime in. My wife and I have an anniversary right around the time of the Jammin on the James Poker Run. We always book 3 or 4 rooms for us and our in-laws and neices and nephews and spend the whole weekend in Hampton. We really like sitting off to the side of the channels in our Donzi center console, and enjoy watching the runners go by. Beautiful boats and the kids really dig it. We always sit way off so we're not in anyone's way. A couple of years ago, when the runners were staying at the Radisson in Hampton, (the last year they are over at Ocean Marine), we took a walk along the dock to check out the nice equipment, and got to tell you guys, I don't know who you are but get over yourselves ok? Maybe it was the booze, but my wife was almost knocked off the dock because some overly self-absorbed guy did the old "it's my dock and you have to move thing to us as he walked along". Then when one of the kids got too close (kids ok?), and someone told my nephew to "get his f___n hands off of the boat". Sheesh, the kid was 10 years old. Anyway, not including everyone in this request, but these 2 things really made the runners not look so good to the family. Other than that, we'll still watch the boats go by this summer. Please be nice to ordinary people. We can't all afford a $300K piece of offshore hardware, but we like to look.

I am sorry for your bad experience. I have yet to make it to Jammin on the James but may make it down there this year. If I do, feel free to stop by the docks and I would be glad to take you and your kids for a ride.

Doug E. 04-08-2008 09:49 AM

You guys impress me. Because 95% or more, of the boaters on the water couldn't answer that question. Now by reading this thread, more people will know.
I didn't mean to high jack this thread. Michael1 has brought up some good points, with regards to performance boaters.
Actually there is a lot of good info on this site, keep up the good work.

fund razor 04-08-2008 09:55 AM

I have learned over the years that seamanship sometimes depends on region rather than type of vessel. Small, Inland lake folks are less likely to own a Chapmans. Ocean/great lakes port folks are less likely NOT to own a Chapmans.
However.....
Ask the average "gold-chain-wearing-gone-deaf-from-straight pipes-motor-shiner" what a "Rhumb Line" is, and he will say: The line for the rum.

BZ 04-08-2008 12:41 PM

As for myself I feel that boating most of the times bings out the best in people not the worst. I have been in a harbor where my neighbor right next to me had a sailboat, and he was a great guy. I have been fishing (not in a while). I feel that you meet more good friendly people on the water than bad ones. I wave at everybody durring the days cruz, and have made some great friends. Boaters come in all forms as long as you are floating on the water it's cool by me.....just my .02....BZ