Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy? >

The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy?

Notices

Old 04-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=183976

Ya' think
Old 04-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fund razor
Ask the average "gold-chain-wearing-gone-deaf-from-straight pipes-motor-shiner" what a "Rhumb Line" is, and he will say: The line for the rum.
Rhumb line - a line crossing all meridians at the same angle, i.e. a path of constant bearing.

However, there is this alternative that combines both....www.therhumbline.com

Oh yeah, and I wear a gold chain....only a small one though because I don't own a fountain!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know much about rhumb lines but big center consoles are great for conga lines!

Seriously, I'm glad to see everyone take an interest in this topic.
What we do and how we are seen/perceived can have a great effect on our future.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by salesmanship
Don't know much about rhumb lines but big center consoles are great for conga lines!

Seriously, I'm glad to see everyone take an interest in this topic.
What we do and how we are seen/perceived can have a great effect on our future.
I think that it is more important than ever. Perf boaters only used to have to fight the perceptions that they were loud, drunk, obnoxious, etc.
Not hard to do... meet some people, act nice, share. Help others with problems in the bilge.

Now there is the added "environmental-weenyism." I am pretty sure that the media will find perf boats right around the time that street gas hits 4 bucks. And they will be able to make a pretty strong case regarding gph burned for fun.

We had better have some good PR going.
And I DON'T mean Poker Runs.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by donzimanva
Hello. I don't post much. Read a lot of the posts. On this topic, I'm inclinced to chime in. My wife and I have an anniversary right around the time of the Jammin on the James Poker Run. We always book 3 or 4 rooms for us and our in-laws and neices and nephews and spend the whole weekend in Hampton. We really like sitting off to the side of the channels in our Donzi center console, and enjoy watching the runners go by. Beautiful boats and the kids really dig it. We always sit way off so we're not in anyone's way. A couple of years ago, when the runners were staying at the Radisson in Hampton, (the last year they are over at Ocean Marine), we took a walk along the dock to check out the nice equipment, and got to tell you guys, I don't know who you are but get over yourselves ok? Maybe it was the booze, but my wife was almost knocked off the dock because some overly self-absorbed guy did the old "it's my dock and you have to move thing to us as he walked along". Then when one of the kids got too close (kids ok?), and someone told my nephew to "get his f___n hands off of the boat". Sheesh, the kid was 10 years old. Anyway, not including everyone in this request, but these 2 things really made the runners not look so good to the family. Other than that, we'll still watch the boats go by this summer. Please be nice to ordinary people. We can't all afford a $300K piece of offshore hardware, but we like to look.
I am VERY surprised to learn that this took place at the Jammin' on the James. I'd be curious to know who this was, as this is completely not the norm of this crowd. The Jammin' is all about the party, and ANYONE is welcome. Look us up this year. Active Thunder is sponsoring the event this year, and I can show your son at least a dozen boats up close.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Don't get me wrong.
I'm also the guy that waves at every boat as I pass.
And I would never leave a fellow boater (no matter what type of boat) stranded.
That is just a law on the water.
But, there are alot of guys with the "big" "fast" offshore boats that have an arrogance that I'd rather not associate with - I've met several hear just this winter.
I'd still tow them in if their chit breaks though.
Originally Posted by Schweitz58
Well said. That's the first rule we all should have learned as kids. You just treat people the way you'd like to be treated...
I was raised from the age of ten being on a boat every weekend, and most evenings.
I thought the part of helping a stranded (or ANY) boater was just a part of the rules of the water.

I recall a couple in their late 50's early 60's that boat there first boat that docked about 6 slips away from me. I was about 27 at the time. She had terminal cancer, and had always wanted a boat. They bought a little cabin-cruiser type 23 Sea-Ray.
I always offered whatever assistance I could - even taught the guy how dock his boat (he was having all kinds of trouble understanding the wind, and the current trying to back into his slip).
Even though I was young, had a loud boat, and occasionally got loud myself, there was respect there on both of our parts.

Originally Posted by fund razor
I think that it is more important than ever. Perf boaters only used to have to fight the perceptions that they were loud, drunk, obnoxious, etc.
Not hard to do... meet some people, act nice, share. Help others with problems in the bilge.

Now there is the added "environmental-weenyism." I am pretty sure that the media will find perf boats right around the time that street gas hits 4 bucks. And they will be able to make a pretty strong case regarding gph burned for fun.

We had better have some good PR going.
And I DON'T mean Poker Runs.
I've been land bound for a few years now, and I know I need to brush up on my skills.
As far as the gas prices, and the media - I'll be your poster child.
I've had my truck for 4 years, and I've logged 12K miles. My wife got hers new 2 1/2 years ago and she's only got ~13K on it.
We live 2 miles from work (this was a very conscious decision).
I've been saving up all my gas credits to burn them in the boat
So, all these people that travel 60-80 miles round trip everyday...
They have nothing on me.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
So, all these people that travel 60-80 miles round trip everyday...
They have nothing on me.
Ouchie. Ouch ouch, ouchie.
At least I bought a Malibooty.
I get 34 hwy.
Just put new Firestones on it Saturday.
I am doing my part too. My boatlessness is a sacrifice for the rest of you.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

I say no to the original question. Not everyone is going to like performance boats. Alot of it is jealousy. Alot of it is just the current sorry state of affairs in this country. Alot of people are just plain miserable azzholes that cannot stand to see someone having a good time. Alot of times when I wave to boaters with less of a boat, I get the deer in the headlights look, just a blank stare. Who's being the dick now? And why should we *****foot around? What we do is legal and our given right. As you know, we cannot keep everyone happy. My boat is muffled to meet the noise standards and I am extremely courteous on the water. That's all I can do. And, if some azzhole group wants to try to take my rights away, I will fight it thebest I can.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by pm203
Alot of times when I wave to boaters with less of a boat, I get the deer in the headlights look, just a blank stare.
You probably get the deer in headlights look because the gladiator looks so badazz.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Good points Michael.

I do not really have what anyone on this forum would call a perforamnce boat anymore. Although some will call a 38te Fountain with trip engines a performance boat.

I wave at passing boats and find that performance boaters and sail boaters normally will not wave back. Some performance boats will wave back but the ones in the ultra high dollar 35' plus will not.

Quick Reply: The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.