Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy? >

The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy?

Notices

The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy?

Old 04-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
I would say I have seen it all in behaviour of fellow performance boaters but ya never know. I have dined and drank with people who could buy everything I have with their pocket change and been amazed at how polite and down to Earth they were. I have been snuffed off by some whom I could buy and been astounded at their arrogance and ignorance. I have been shocked at the public antics of many a poker runner and wondered just what in life made these people act like spoiled little school children. I have witnessed owners of nice boats publically belittle owners of not so nice boats and have seen six figure offshores towing four figure Bayliners in from the lake.

Its not the boat or the bank account, its the individual personality. Some I really like and am proud to call my friends and some I'd just as soon chit on for being azzholes who reflect poorly on the rest of us.
Well said! As far as the "acting like spoiled little school children" comment in my experience most of the time it's how they were raised. If they were spoiled rotten as kids they grow up to be arrogant pri*ks.

I know a few people that are VERY well off and they are the most down to earth people you will ever meet. But they started with nothing and worked their azz off to make it. And I also know people that like to pretend they are much more well off than they are and they were spoiled rotten as kids. These seem to be the ones that are acting like arrogant azzes on the water.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Von Bongo
In defense of us Cig owners at LOTO, the lake is so damn crowded most of the time I am always looking for that jet ski, tuber or rental bow rider that I rarely wave at people unless it's just to 2 of us within a hundred yards or if we are at idle speed then I do. I'm not stuck up, but my job is to drive the boat and If I already think your not an hazard to navagation I probably am not even looking at your boat, be it an envision or Dave Scott.

I do however tell all my passengers it is their job to wave at every boat. With so many boats my wife gets tired of waiving if we run from the Niangua to the Dam. Thinking about getting one of those hands on a spring and bolting it to the fairing.
I agree with the points you have made - especially when at speed on a busy weekend. And yes, on a busy weekend I've considered hiring a professional waver to take the workload off of me and my crew.

To further illustrate the point - during Shootout weekend last year we were going through the no wake under the bridge. We were within "waving range" of four TG's during our idle through. Not one wave back, they just looked at us. We also went past three boats that were made by another prominent offshore builder - the crews waved back like they were having the time of there lives. I remember my buddy commenting "What's up with the Cig guys? They don't wave like the XXXXXX guys do.

Now my friends aren't into boating like I am, but they have learned to recognize the popular brands (my work is never done ). If they have this perception, being around performance boats every summer, just imagine the perception of the average Rinker / Chap / etc. family when it comes to us performance boaters.

Last edited by Frequency; 04-07-2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: grammar clean up
Old 04-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by DonziChick
I try to wave at everyone. It's the way I was brought up when I was boating as a kid. I remember when we switched from Lake Cumberland to Lake Erie, I noticed a big difference. On Cumberland, at least in the 80's and early 90's, many more people waved than at Erie. I've noticed now that the same types of boats wave. It's like historic cars changed - at first everyone waved at each other, then just the Mogan's waved at Morgans, Sprites at Sprites, etc.

I also try to stop when someone is broken down. I've been towed in by a pontoon boat before, I don't have any pride left I at least always have my toolbox with me or can tow.

I've noticed that a lot of people in this thread have gotten very defensive - they haven't posted about what they do to promote a positive image, but reasons why other boaters aren't nice or aren't deserving of them being nice to them. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I think it's true. If we don't promote a positive image, to jetskiers, bass boaters, non-boaters, even the dreaded sailboaters, etc we'll be facing more and more legislation regarding speed and noise.
I've towed more boats and wave runners than I care to remember...some at the risk of damaging my boat due to conditions. I always stop to assist regardless of boat or what I am doing. Just good karma. I've even docked my boat before to run up into the parking lot, unhook my trailer, and pull out a van at the ramp that was about to slide back in due to low water levels exposing slime on the ramp. The only time I've questioned a tow was a boat on the river where the owner had rings in both nips. Cool on a chick, not so cool on a dude?!
Old 04-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
... The only time I've questioned a tow was a boat on the river where the owner had rings in both nips. Cool on a chick, not so cool on a dude?!
I would have just considered the rings to be tow hooks!
Old 04-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J.B. Marshall
I have been a performance boater for 25 years, but I have found over the years that the type of boat is not a direct correlation of the type of person you are... There are Azzholes in all types of boats and more of them are on jet skis...
Same here.

I always strive to be responsible (courteous, lawful, and friendly) on the water.
I do some occasional jet-skiing as well and go even further out of my way to be safe, friendly, not a nuisance, etc....

I think most performance boaters are generally much more knowledgeable of the rules regulations than the average boater out there. -which is very cool.
But unfortunately, I think we often get a bad rap just because of the noise and/or perceived danger of any speed run (Even if it's late in the day when nobody is on the water).

Great thread.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pretty obvious

Hello. I don't post much. Read a lot of the posts. On this topic, I'm inclinced to chime in. My wife and I have an anniversary right around the time of the Jammin on the James Poker Run. We always book 3 or 4 rooms for us and our in-laws and neices and nephews and spend the whole weekend in Hampton. We really like sitting off to the side of the channels in our Donzi center console, and enjoy watching the runners go by. Beautiful boats and the kids really dig it. We always sit way off so we're not in anyone's way. A couple of years ago, when the runners were staying at the Radisson in Hampton, (the last year they are over at Ocean Marine), we took a walk along the dock to check out the nice equipment, and got to tell you guys, I don't know who you are but get over yourselves ok? Maybe it was the booze, but my wife was almost knocked off the dock because some overly self-absorbed guy did the old "it's my dock and you have to move thing to us as he walked along". Then when one of the kids got too close (kids ok?), and someone told my nephew to "get his f___n hands off of the boat". Sheesh, the kid was 10 years old. Anyway, not including everyone in this request, but these 2 things really made the runners not look so good to the family. Other than that, we'll still watch the boats go by this summer. Please be nice to ordinary people. We can't all afford a $300K piece of offshore hardware, but we like to look.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:21 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't need everyone to love me.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by donzimanva
Hello. I don't post much. Read a lot of the posts. On this topic, I'm inclinced to chime in. My wife and I have an anniversary right around the time of the Jammin on the James Poker Run. We always book 3 or 4 rooms for us and our in-laws and neices and nephews and spend the whole weekend in Hampton. We really like sitting off to the side of the channels in our Donzi center console, and enjoy watching the runners go by. Beautiful boats and the kids really dig it. We always sit way off so we're not in anyone's way. A couple of years ago, when the runners were staying at the Radisson in Hampton, (the last year they are over at Ocean Marine), we took a walk along the dock to check out the nice equipment, and got to tell you guys, I don't know who you are but get over yourselves ok? Maybe it was the booze, but my wife was almost knocked off the dock because some overly self-absorbed guy did the old "it's my dock and you have to move thing to us as he walked along". Then when one of the kids got too close (kids ok?), and someone told my nephew to "get his f___n hands off of the boat". Sheesh, the kid was 10 years old. Anyway, not including everyone in this request, but these 2 things really made the runners not look so good to the family. Other than that, we'll still watch the boats go by this summer. Please be nice to ordinary people. We can't all afford a $300K piece of offshore hardware, but we like to look.
You may come and look at our slow boat anytime and bring the kids. We are going to run the Ocean Marine, Jammin on the James, Hampton Roads Powerboat Association and Wake the lake at Kerr Lake Va. Come and see us .

Joby
Old 04-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
You may come and look at our slow boat anytime and bring the kids. We are going to run the Ocean Marine, Jammin on the James, Hampton Roads Powerboat Association and Wake the lake at Kerr Lake Va. Come and see us .

Joby
Sorry you may not want to bring the kids to Jammin it's more for the Adults.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

To answer the original question I say YES as a group we are our own worst enemy. People remember the dikheads and even though most of us may not be arrogant pri*ks the ones that are make performance boaters look bad. donzimanva's story is a prime example. Who the hell talks to children like that?

Remember, stereotypes are based on reality!
Attached Thumbnails The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy?-stereotypes.jpg  

Quick Reply: The Future of Performance Boating - Are We Our Own Worst Enemy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.