Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best way to safeguard a trailer from theft. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/183853-best-way-safeguard-trailer-theft.html)

Velocity Tom 04-06-2008 01:18 PM

Best way to safeguard a trailer from theft.

Whats the best way to keep someone from takeing your trailer when not hooked to the truck. I thought of running a chain through the rim and to the frame. But if thay want it thay will get it. I just want to slow them down a bit till I kick the dogs loose and load a gun or two.

J.B. Marshall 04-06-2008 01:25 PM

That is all you can do slow them down, use many different security devices to slow them down or deter them from spending the time. If they want it bad enough they will get it.

Rick G 04-06-2008 02:15 PM

Block the trailer up and take a wheel of either side . Tough to move it when a wheel or two are misiing.

Rick G.

t500hps 04-06-2008 02:18 PM

Take ALL the wheels off one side but they could just bring a spare. Unbolt and take the coupler inside with you.....real hard to tow a trailer with just a beam sticking out the front.

waterboy222 04-06-2008 03:00 PM

my coupler is removeable.. i pull the pins out of it and take it in the house...

bootdaddy 04-06-2008 03:32 PM

Tire Locks

1 Attachment(s)
It's true...what one man creates another will destroy!

I like a boot device to a) provide a visual deterrent - which is arguably the most important thing and b) slow them down if they do decide to make a theft attempt.

A boot combined with a stout hitch lock work very well for anti-theft. Obviously, if equipment is left in remote areas for extended periods of time...the power tools are more likely to come out and play...

Problem with chains is that anybody can buy lock/chain cutters. A boot takes more effort and is easy on and easy to store and usually takes some time to defeat...

www.tirelock.com

Full disclosure out of respect for OSO members: I am not only a user, but also the owner of tireock. This is not a sales pitch - just an answer and opinion to question posed.

marineclean 04-06-2008 04:13 PM

The boot looks sweet!

Currently using the Master coupler lock, pin lock and chain through two wheels. Also think about when you're towing. I've heard horror stories on the road. Pull a fuse in the truck and I also use a heavy grade chain from truck to trailer. I figure the longer I could hold someone up the better chance I have.......

in hitting them with the tazer, duck taping them then.....:D

bootdaddy 04-06-2008 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by marineclean (Post 2515222)
The boot looks sweet!

Thanks. Let me know if you are interested in trading some Leverage for a Pit Bull Tire Lock (shown in pic). I like it because of its large shield for visibility, flat stacking and storage, and easy on-off with security key...

marineclean 04-07-2008 04:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm interested. Shoot me a pm sometime with some info. I see they already come in yellow. :D

Tom A. 04-07-2008 09:01 AM

Does anyone use lug nut locks (ie. McGard) on their trailers. I know this is different than the topic but I was wondering since I just put 6 new aluminum wheels on my trailer.