Notices

Turbine Motors

Old 04-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 47pilotsteve
Gerry,

We have no ability to stop our output shaft as there is a clutch engagement that occurs during run-up. This clutch allows us to continue flying should there be an engine failure. The clutch disengages and we fly single engine. It's not that bad, unless we're carrying a load. We practice single engine failures a lot...

-Steve
Steve considering the original purpose of these Aircraft
Engines. It should not come as surprize on the amount of redundancy designed into the airframes aswell as the engines themselves.

Some examples would be that once ignition occurs you may remove all the electrical devices and yet as long as they receave fuel and air they will continue to run.

If Airframe mounted fuel lift pumps should see failure the
Fuel System on the Turbine continues to draw fuel.

Pretty neat Stuff.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
Steve considering the original purpose of these Aircraft
Engines. It should not come as surprize on the amount of redundancy designed into the airframes aswell as the engines themselves.

Some examples would be that once ignition occurs you may remove all the electrical devices and yet as long as they receave fuel and air they will continue to run.

If Airframe mounted fuel lift pumps should see failure the
Fuel System on the Turbine continues to draw fuel.

Pretty neat Stuff.
Our new 714 engines are pretty complex in design, but easier to operate. The best part is the FADEC system which is basically an automated digital control system. When we start up, it even shuts down automatically if a hot start is suspected.

I don't know about the whole removing the electrical devices thing, but we can lose the FADEC system and it goes into a reversionary mode. If that mode fails, then we just land. We could likely still fly, but it's just easier to land as soon as possible.

The fuel pumps are actually in the tanks, along with the engine driven fuel pump. We can still fly below 6000 ft PA with the fuel pumps inoperative because the engine driven pumps are so efficient.

The entire aircraft is pretty complex, one of the reasons I love it so much. I like tinkering with things, so it was a perfect match for me when aircraft selection came around. To us, all other aircraft are nothing but slingloads!

I'll take a pic of us fully armed when I get out to the flight line tomorrow. Pretty impressive. Now flying while the gunners are engaging gets the adrenaline going quickly!

-Steve
Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Why yes
Have you run those yet? How much power? I was wondering when they would show up. I saw them in 2001 in a hotrod without the PSI.

pat W
Old 04-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximus
Oh yes they are.

These are our backup set of L7's (55) being test fitted . We also have a pair of L 11's waiting to be tested.

N2 power!
The MYSTIC is awsome! BE SAFE. Jim/PPS
Old 04-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there should be a forum section for tubine powered boats no matter what brand. What do you guys think? Doug
Old 04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Registered

Check out Turbine Marine... John has an "on the fly" flush system, press the little button under you throttle finger and it flushes the motor while running, plus a 10% boost in power as the air gets dense... nice one.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by alvinski
Check out Turbine Marine... John has an "on the fly" flush system, press the little button under you throttle finger and it flushes the motor while running, plus a 10% boost in power as the air gets dense... nice one.
Good idea my rinse is located on a momentary switch on the dash.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by outriggers
I think there should be a forum section for tubine powered boats no matter what brand. What do you guys think? Doug

YES!.

That way we dont have to bore these guys in GD
Old 04-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Registered

ha hahha it doesn't bore me, I am kicken myself for not coming by to day gerry but my knee is getting worst with the weather changes this week, to sand the frame. well this weekend do you want me to come by and sand them in the garage?? art.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Registered

I like reading about this stuff too...Though I am still waiting to see what the answer was to my question about the water injected exhaust. How does this help muffle the sound? Seems all the newer boats are going this way.

Quick Reply: Turbine Motors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.