Notices

Turbine Motors

Old 04-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbine Motors

I was going to post on Jassmans Diesel thread but didn't want to hijack it.

How much better are Turbine Motors now?
It seems from what I have been reading they are a lot better than just a few years ago. I know if you want to go real fast they are a good way to go but I have seen some in Big 50 60 70 100 foot Sport fishers now.
Are they better on gas than big 1500-2000 hp Diesels now ? Lighter ? less maint. ? I know they cost a bunch to fix if you have to pay for it but I do all my work myself and Have two guys working for me now that were in the army and thats all they did was fix turbine engines, they say with the stuff they see me fix now I won't have any problems fixing/ working on a Turbine motor, it will just take a while the first couple of times I am in there. Can a set of T53's be a good weekend boat motor ?.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
I was going to post on Jassmans Diesel thread but didn't want to hijack it.

How much better are Turbine Motors now?
It seems from what I have been reading they are a lot better than just a few years ago. I know if you want to go real fast they are a good way to go but I have seen some in Big 50 60 70 100 foot Sport fishers now.
Are they better on gas than big 1500-2000 hp Diesels now ? Lighter ? less maint. ? I know they cost a bunch to fix if you have to pay for it but I do all my work myself and Have two guys working for me now that were in the army and thats all they did was fix turbine engines, they say with the stuff they see me fix now I won't have any problems fixing/ working on a Turbine motor, it will just take a while the first couple of times I am in there. Can a set of T53's be a good weekend boat motor ?.
Ok Ill try.

"How much better are Turbine Motors now?"
Boat Friendly Turbines are propshaft Turbines. These were
designed to run in Helicopters and the Technology dates
to the 1950,s. Hence T53 the year it was intraduced.

"Are they better on gas than big 1500-2000 hp Diesels now ? Lighter ? less maint."

The consumption of fuel at rated horsepower of a t53 l13b
is approx 180gph. Turbines Idle at 46 percent.
Lighter? 540lbs dry weight of a t53.
Less maintence? 3000 hour first Flight inspection for
avaition. This is a inspection.
500 hours first oil change.

"I know they cost a bunch to fix if you have to pay for it but I do all my work myself and Have two guys working for me now that were in the army and thats all they did was fix turbine engines"
Tell your Army friends to go back to the Army
You dont have to fix turbines.
Dont suck any Seaguls threw them and ya wont have to worry.
Its called F. O. D.
The other killer is Temperture. 75% of the air being fed threw
the turbine is used for cooling and seal pressure.
The other 25% is used to create the power.
Keep them cool and watch your pyros.

"Can a set of T53's be a good weekend boat motor "
A set of T53,s will most likley outlast the boat owners life span.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered

Yes the only time I hear my guys say anyting about how they fixed it it seems they were the reason why it was broke, or it sucked something up or had a bullet hole in it.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Registered

After watching Geico pull the motor and spend 28K on just the part that was damaged - I have a few questions about their operation in a salt environment. . .
Old 04-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Banned

also in a boat whats the chance of a hot start
Old 04-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Registered

I would be mostly in fresh water.
If one of the 3 motors in my boat now blew and was a total loss it would be more than 28k to replace it. My army guys seem to think with all the Military bases and airports around here with a little networking I should be able to get a ton of parts that you cant use in a Chopper anymore that are still fine for a boat. The big thing is sucking something up, I have yet to see a boat that you don't find a screw or nut or something in the bilge.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would imagine that there is a LOT of custom stuff that you would need to make. Dealing with the hot exhaust for one!!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Registered

My impression would be that turbines are the way to go, if you can afford the initial costs. Keep in mind, that if you do ingest something into the compressor blades, that means a lot of $$. It is my experience with turbines that they are very clean and reliable. They're the easiest part for me to pre-flight.

I don't have to pay for gas, but I do know that fuel consumption is a huge consideration, especially for an offshore boat. The turbine idea is very efficient and very reliable.

Good luck
Old 04-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Registered

how loud are they? Is there any way to make them quiet and still get enough air?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Registered

Default Salt=bad news

Originally Posted by Fountain38SC
After watching Geico pull the motor and spend 28K on just the part that was damaged - I have a few questions about their operation in a salt environment. . .
A salt water environment is very destructive to turbine engines. You would have to do an engine wash after each run. Just talk to Navy mechanic and they'll tell you.

Quick Reply: Turbine Motors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.