Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What are your must have tools/spare parts/etc that you keep on the boat just in case? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/183944-what-your-must-have-tools-spare-parts-etc-you-keep-boat-just-case.html)

MILD THUNDER 04-07-2008 08:36 PM

Here is that tool kit I was talking about. Has a lot of stuff in it. Better quality than most kits I have seen in that price range. I pretty much took a motor down to the shortblock with it lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/CRESCENT-170-PIE...ayphotohosting

formula 382 sr-1 04-07-2008 09:08 PM

All my buddys tell me if I would take some of the stuff out of the boat That it will run faster.( ie) 3 anchorsand 300ft of 1/2 line, 6, 8 inch fenders 4, 6 inch fenders. Enough tools to take the motors out, wire, wire connectors, wire ties large & small, alot of spare nut & bolts, Plugs & plug wires coil & cap, two water pump kits , 4 fuel water separating filters, Jumper cables , First aid box not a kit, 12 life jackets, 8 qt of oil, 4 qt of gear lube, 2 qt of powerstearing fluid, soap bucket and brush, hose clamps , duck tape, electrical tape , WD40, and so much more. and thats not counting my wife's stuff.:D

amazing1 04-07-2008 09:08 PM

for the first season bring anything you can to prepare to fix anything and adjust the amount of tools that your boat requires. each boat gets there own little quirk things that will happen. just be prepared for anything the first season.my .02:cool-smiley-027::evilb:

HotPursuit 04-07-2008 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Program all your friends phone#s, this has come in handy for parts not in stock on you boat.
I carry many engine parts msd boxes, coils, plugs , rotors,
if you have stainless hoses- a few hose ends.Starter,rocker arms,valve springs,. If going out of town for a poker run I bring the big items, extra props,transmissions,fuel pumps ,and just about any thing I can change and afford.
Calling BullS**t see proof !! LOTO 2007

Jassman 04-10-2008 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by team Tickfaw (Post 2516446)
Other than the obvious tools to work on stuff over the years and several breakdowns and medical emergency's here goes.
1-Assorted stainless hose clamps, on down to the Mini size used on feul lines.
2-Electrical tape, the good stuff, 3M #33.
3-Assorted electrical connections, splices, ring connections, fuses.
4-Home made circuit tester ( 12 volt light bulb in a socket with probe on 1 wire and gator clip on other wire.
5-Pen type extendable magnet.
6-Assorted pipe thread plugs. Down to 1/4 inch.
7-Teflon tape
8-Hose repair kit. These are plastic sleeves in a couple of sizes of the hose you use on engine cooling. Cut hose at hole, insert sleeve and clamp back together.
9-1 spare belt for everything.
10-Pry bar used for tightening that belt when you change it.
11-Mechanix gloves to use when that craps hot.
12-Water impeller housing and impeller. I rotate my spare impeller every season. (use spare, buy new for spare)
13-6 inch pipe wrench. Get a good one, proto or ridgid. Hard to find. China is crap. Surprised what you can use for.
14-Coil wire.
15-Largest bottle of Regular Dawn dish liquid.
16-Cell phone charger that stays in boat.
17- Fresh tube of 5200.
18-Stainless tie wire.
19-2 water proof lights. Pella brand. Bright sobs can use these to headlight with.
20-Leatherman tool with lanyard. To cut crap from prop.
21- Zip ties medium to large. Indutrial places have these really thick ones that a knife has trouble cutting. 12-18inches long.
22-Plastic container with assorted bolts, washers, cotter pins, even small ones like for throttle cable barrel. Screws,.
23- 8" peice of broom/mop handle. Can use for a plug.
24-4 spark plugs pre gapped.
25-thermastat and gasket
26-Gorilla tape
27-Needle nose vise grip and regular vise grips. Get the good ones.
28-My trusty mercruiser book/manual.
29-Coil if single engine
30-2 drain plugs
31-Copy of insurance
32- Motor cycle helment open face with clear visor. Don't laugh, try it when it rains, no problem at all at speed.
33-Rain jacket
34-Extendable mechanics mirror.
35- length of 3/8 fuel line.
36-Full bottle of Stoli vodka just in case of towed in.

I know alittle long but does not take that much room. Trust me I have added things over time that I wished I had when I broke down. Obviously you add to your particular boat and its special needs. Always remember to offer to pay for tow in but never accept payment. When motor hatch is up, stop and ask if assistance is needed. Even if down if things don't look right, they proably are not. Ask anyway, you know we hate to ask "directions" we are proud types .

great list...haven't met you but hopefully will see ya guys in a few weeks at the PR. Jeff

Single With Twins 04-10-2008 06:59 AM

I just offer the mechanic free rides and drinks...........they bring all the tools and parts you'll ever need!!!!!!!!:evilb:

Some of you have some serious lists....I better take a better look at what I keep on board.

Good info....