Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What are your must have tools/spare parts/etc that you keep on the boat just in case? >

What are your must have tools/spare parts/etc that you keep on the boat just in case?

Notices

What are your must have tools/spare parts/etc that you keep on the boat just in case?

Old 04-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont forget the condoms
Old 04-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Registered

^^^ No glove, no love.

Thanks for all the info/opinions guys.

I'm gonna need to get another loan for all that chit. Better to be safe than sorry, though.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:54 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unlimited on water towing policy from boat-us
Old 04-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Registered

Don't forget a telescoping magnet for the chit that always gets dropped just out of your reach. I also have a small telescoping mirror for those hard to get a good look at areas.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Registered

Thumbs up essentials

Other than the obvious tools to work on stuff over the years and several breakdowns and medical emergency's here goes.
1-Assorted stainless hose clamps, on down to the Mini size used on feul lines.
2-Electrical tape, the good stuff, 3M #33.
3-Assorted electrical connections, splices, ring connections, fuses.
4-Home made circuit tester ( 12 volt light bulb in a socket with probe on 1 wire and gator clip on other wire.
5-Pen type extendable magnet.
6-Assorted pipe thread plugs. Down to 1/4 inch.
7-Teflon tape
8-Hose repair kit. These are plastic sleeves in a couple of sizes of the hose you use on engine cooling. Cut hose at hole, insert sleeve and clamp back together.
9-1 spare belt for everything.
10-Pry bar used for tightening that belt when you change it.
11-Mechanix gloves to use when that craps hot.
12-Water impeller housing and impeller. I rotate my spare impeller every season. (use spare, buy new for spare)
13-6 inch pipe wrench. Get a good one, proto or ridgid. Hard to find. China is crap. Surprised what you can use for.
14-Coil wire.
15-Largest bottle of Regular Dawn dish liquid.
16-Cell phone charger that stays in boat.
17- Fresh tube of 5200.
18-Stainless tie wire.
19-2 water proof lights. Pella brand. Bright sobs can use these to headlight with.
20-Leatherman tool with lanyard. To cut crap from prop.
21- Zip ties medium to large. Indutrial places have these really thick ones that a knife has trouble cutting. 12-18inches long.
22-Plastic container with assorted bolts, washers, cotter pins, even small ones like for throttle cable barrel. Screws,.
23- 8" peice of broom/mop handle. Can use for a plug.
24-4 spark plugs pre gapped.
25-thermastat and gasket
26-Gorilla tape
27-Needle nose vise grip and regular vise grips. Get the good ones.
28-My trusty mercruiser book/manual.
29-Coil if single engine
30-2 drain plugs
31-Copy of insurance
32- Motor cycle helment open face with clear visor. Don't laugh, try it when it rains, no problem at all at speed.
33-Rain jacket
34-Extendable mechanics mirror.
35- length of 3/8 fuel line.
36-Full bottle of Stoli vodka just in case of towed in.

I know alittle long but does not take that much room. Trust me I have added things over time that I wished I had when I broke down. Obviously you add to your particular boat and its special needs. Always remember to offer to pay for tow in but never accept payment. When motor hatch is up, stop and ask if assistance is needed. Even if down if things don't look right, they proably are not. Ask anyway, you know we hate to ask "directions" we are proud types .
Old 04-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Registered

A trusted firearm, you never know if you might get the wrong people to stop to help you out in the middle of nowhere.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Medical

Do not forget the medical emergency. As the "captain" you have a responsibility to take care the best you can your "crew". I have learned the hard way that a good day can go south real quick. My friends on the Tickfaw can relate to when my wife had a serious accident.
The little kits you get are crap. Real world stuff on a power boat can get very ugly.
1-several rolls of gauze.
2-several large bandages, several is more than 3
3-Anti bacteria scrub/ ointment
4-A couple rolls of medical tape,narrow and large.
5-Several large zip lok bags for ice packs
6-Look in the med size kits and double the nessecity type stuff.
7- I have a lamanated sheet of paper with all our friends that we boat with phone # and names of boats. Sheriff patrols, coast guard, wildlife and fisheries, fuel dock, local river bars, (to find help ). Flip side I have channel # for what to use on radio. There is 3 channels that you can use for marine operator to call someone. Weather etc. Local hospital and police.

Remember when getting cut in the river/water alot of nasty stuff in there. In boating someone can bleed to death before you can make it back to shore. Especially when drinking, bloods thinner. Be carefull when someone tells you they'er O.K. Again we're the proud type and hate to ask "directions"
Old 04-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Registered

Thumbs up good call

johnny you are right I forgot that. I like a small 38 special revolver that as first shot is "RAT" shot. I have had a snake in the boat before.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Registered

Thumbs up forgot

Clean underware. You may have to go to hosipital. (mom always said). Cause first you say it........then you do it.
Always tell them just how much you really did have to drink, even if its wayyyyyy up there.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:09 PM
rjr
Registered

Spare impellers/ pumps were mentioned in several post. Since the pumps are below the waterline I am wondering if anyone has valves before the pump? My boat doesn't and I am wondering how many of you do.

Quick Reply: What are your must have tools/spare parts/etc that you keep on the boat just in case?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.