Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   CAT with Verado's? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/184010-cat-verados.html)

Maritime_Eng 04-08-2008 08:53 AM

CAT with Verado's?

Just curious if any cat manufacture has built a 30 to 35 cat with twin verado's? What was the outcome? How did it perform?

Thanks
Don

stainless 04-08-2008 10:17 AM

Thinking about it.:boat:

stainless 04-08-2008 10:18 AM

I think the midsection was the weak link on the verado 300's ... thinking more along the lines of the 350

stainless 04-08-2008 10:19 AM

I was also thinking about doing one with your diesel outboards :D

Maritime_Eng 04-08-2008 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by stainless (Post 2517491)
I was also thinking about doing one with your diesel outboards :D

That is where I was going with this thread. I know we have talked before and I am getting ready to start that project. I am trying to sell the boat I have now and buy another 30 cat and build two big diesels for it. If I can find a buyer for my Motion soon I should have it together in time for LOTO shootout!

I am just trying to find out how a 30 to 32ft cat ran with Verado's just to get an idea of the weight and performance numbers.

HabanaJoe 04-08-2008 10:46 AM

Diesel ratings

Don,

Your project has allways interested me since I seen it on here.

Have a question, on your website you don't list Hp but similar to a "X" hp gas engine, why is that?

Are you subscribing to the diesels have the torque so the Hp is not relevant mine set and not advertsing Hp or have you just not gotten that far yet to have ISO testing done?

Either way, I wish you all the success and would love to get a pair for my SeaCraft when your ready. The price of gas & oil to go offshore fishing is just getting crazy!! One long overnighter & troll is now $950 - $1050 in fuel/oil alone for a 32' CC - that is criminal in my book!

Joe Gere

Maritime_Eng 04-08-2008 11:33 AM

Hi Joe-

Thanks for the interest in our diesels. I have read many of your posts about diesels and I must say I am impressed.

There is one main reasons why we haven't posted our HP ratings yet.

As you know with diesels HP can be changed easily by Controlling Fuel and Boost. At the same time Emissions also change when adjusting Fuel and Boost. So right now we are playing the game building more HP and still being able to Certify our engines with EPA and CARB. Once we establish these set points we will release our HP numbers

I do believe that the high torque output of diesels do help there performance and efficiency but you also need HP to achieve the overall top speed.

We are also looking into difference gear ratios to improve overall prop speed.

We are looking to be into production by Early 2009 so if you are interested at that time please get in contact with us.

Any questions please ask.

Hope this helps
Don Gardner

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 2517529)
Don,

Your project has allways interested me since I seen it on here.

Have a question, on your website you don't list Hp but similar to a "X" hp gas engine, why is that?

Are you subscribing to the diesels have the torque so the Hp is not relevant mine set and not advertsing Hp or have you just not gotten that far yet to have ISO testing done?

Either way, I wish you all the success and would love to get a pair for my SeaCraft when your ready. The price of gas & oil to go offshore fishing is just getting crazy!! One long overnighter & troll is now $950 - $1050 in fuel/oil alone for a 32' CC - that is criminal in my book!

Joe Gere

JIMKID Motorsports 04-08-2008 06:22 PM

first the weight is a big issue and the gear case wont hold up there was guy from mercury that was going to try the 350s 0n a 28 skater have not heard anthing on the progress

WILDMAN 04-08-2008 10:11 PM

I was told that dealer cost on the new 350's is over $23K!

DMOORE 04-08-2008 10:36 PM

Whats the weight of the 350's. I heard they were pretty damn heavy.

Darrell.