Is anyone expensing their boat? >

Is anyone expensing their boat?

Notices

Is anyone expensing their boat?

Old 04-09-2008, 07:18 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, I wright it off right out of my bank account. Interest only as a second home if it meets the IRS criteria.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 418 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by tony stamis
i can't say who but i know a guy who boat the whole boat with a company check and the new trailer to and all the service parts just hope IRS doesn't come for three years thats what he told me
What does three years have to do with it?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

My CPA told me that the only way to expense a boat is to start selling boats and utilize your demos for personal use. Otherwise take the 2nd home interest deduction and call it a day.

Last year I entertained clients a few different weekends @ the lake. I let them stay in my extra condo and took them boating. Even in this instance my CPA said it isn't worth messing with. He also uttered the statement about pigs getting fat and hogs getting slaughtered.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i am not mistaken they have three years to get you on any mistake on your taxes. i believe bush passed that law a few years ago
Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So if my car breaks down on the way to taking some clothes to goodwill can I write off the fuel and repairs?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
This is not true. It is perfectly legal to get your road tax reimbursement back in Virginia. I do it every year.

For every gallon of fuel sold in VA, there is a tax of roughly 17.5 cents per gallon, which goes toward improving the roads and associated infrastructure. Since a boat (or lawnmower, backhoe, skidsteer, etc.) is not using this infrastructure, Virginia gives this tax back to you. However, you must have well documented receipts, and you are always up for review when you turn this form in. It has nothing to do with your state or federal income tax. You can turn this form in at anytime. Each individual receipt must be for more than 5 gallons of fuel. This is the same concept as buying diesel fuel that is dyed for farm or off-road use only. Only you get the money (tax) back after the sale, not at initial purchase.

You can read more about it here:
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/fuel_tax.asp
Thank you. Don't know why the guy reemed me out when he was wrong but oh well. I even made the point that it was related to Virginia road tax, not in any way related to Federal or State Income tax, and that it might be different in other states - which I am sure it is.

Sidebar - ALL of my receipts from last year got ruined. That sucked.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tony stamis
if i am not mistaken they have three years to get you on any mistake on your taxes. i believe bush passed that law a few years ago
I don't think they are going to look at writing off all your boat expenses as a "mistake".

Also when you depreciate and expense listed property or vehicles, you have to put down the percent business use, and it has to be documented. Somehow, I don't think they are going to look at "I was out with my buddies" as legitimate business use.

Also consider this:

"The statute of limitations does not apply in the case of a false tax return or fraudulent tax return filed with the IRS with intent to evade any tax. See section 6501(c)(1) of the Tax Code and section 301.6501(c)-1 of the Tax Regulations."

You could really be setting yourself up for some serious back taxes and penalties. I wouldn't even want to think about it.

Michael
Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael1
I don't think they are going to look at writing off all your boat expenses as a "mistake".

"The statute of limitations does not apply in the case of a false tax return or fraudulent tax return filed with the IRS with intent to evade any tax. See section 6501(c)(1) of the Tax Code and section 301.6501(c)-1 of the Tax Regulations."

They will come after you after you are dead!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Unphuckinbelievable what I'm reading. My family has been in the tax business for 30+years. We have never once written off a boat.............maybe the interest expense and thats a stretch.
Under the current IRC, why is it your opinion that deducting interest on a boat that qualifies as a second residence is a stretch? It is clear that if the boat has a head, a bed, and a galley, it qualifies as a residence per current IRC. I am not sure why that is a stretch. There is a lot of grey areas in tax law, but I think this is fairly clear.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JJONES
If you used it as a rental with a rental co you could.Start a rental company and open a bank account.Have people you know rent it from you for what ever you want and have them pay with check and deposit it into your account but not really let them use it.Give them the money back out of a different account.Use the rental account for all your boating costs,repairs,transport,gas etc.Then you could write off all your expenses.One step better is get a captains license and do the same as a charter co.
Wow! There is a name for this, tax evasion. How much enjoyment will you get from your boat while your serving your prison sentence? All this to save a couple grand in tax. Amazing.

Quick Reply: Is anyone expensing their boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.