Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What do you do when you're ripped off ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/184060-what-do-you-do-when-youre-ripped-off.html)

got twins ? 04-09-2008 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by seafordguy (Post 2518772)
I understand you, and the principal does make it hard to swallow, and hell - $250 dollar loss is still a decent amount of money (at least to me it is), but you'll probably spend more energy being angry over it than just letting them go and getting the props you want and need just in time for the summer. Once you get the right props and the boat runs how you want it to you will forget about this whole crappy episode...

I couldn't agree more .... and thanks for your input.

Jeff

Boater0979 04-09-2008 09:34 AM

It is possible that he did not know they were bad when he sold them. He reported the same problem that you did - not enough rpms on his boat. Seems like he just assumed they were too big for his boat, just like your initial thought.

At this point, neither of you trusts the other, so maybe selling them for 250 is a good compromise. Still a bad situation though. This sounds like something that would happen to me.

danh63 04-09-2008 09:40 AM

It just plain sucks that people do this to others.

Tom A. 04-09-2008 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by seafordguy (Post 2518772)
I understand you, and the principal does make it hard to swallow, and hell - $250 dollar loss is still a decent amount of money (at least to me it is), but you'll probably spend more energy being angry over it than just letting them go and getting the props you want and need just in time for the summer. Once you get the right props and the boat runs how you want it to you will forget about this whole crappy episode...

Ditto, we've all had similar things happen once or twice in our boating lives and the best thing to do now is cut your losses and get the right props.
Do it quick before he reads this thread and tells you deal is off.....

Macklin 04-09-2008 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by danh63 (Post 2518858)
It just plain sucks that people do this to others.

Do what? I'm with HeavyP here, what if he bought them that way? I've gotten chitty props right out of the box before. Brand New! Look at the pics. They certainly don't look like they have been hacked. I know that is hard to tell in a pic. But the original poster surely didn't notice. Or he would not have sat on them for 6 months.

Take the $250 and run...

DollaBill 04-09-2008 12:00 PM

i don't get your problem

got twins ? 04-09-2008 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by HeavyP (Post 2518847)
It is possible that he did not know they were bad when he sold them. He reported the same problem that you did - not enough rpms on his boat. Seems like he just assumed they were too big for his boat, just like your initial thought.

At this point, neither of you trusts the other, so maybe selling them for 250 is a good compromise. Still a bad situation though. This sounds like something that would happen to me.

His reason for the rpms was his ratio was incorrect he said he was 1:25 and they needed 1:50 to work properly.....
I have 1:50 ratio so I thought this was a no brainer ....

Jeff

got twins ? 04-09-2008 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A. (Post 2518874)
Ditto, we've all had similar things happen once or twice in our boating lives and the best thing to do now is cut your losses and get the right props.
Do it quick before he reads this thread and tells you deal is off.....

I already have the $250.00 for the props.
I have already cut my losses so to speak .... I am just curious
how and other people would have reacted to this situation.
And if not anything else don't let it happen again to someone else.

Jeff

danh63 04-09-2008 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Macklin (Post 2518979)
Do what? I'm with HeavyP here, what if he bought them that way? I've gotten chitty props right out of the box before. Brand New! Look at the pics. They certainly don't look like they have been hacked. I know that is hard to tell in a pic. But the original poster surely didn't notice. Or he would not have sat on them for 6 months.

Take the $250 and run...

I see your point. I took it on the chin with a prop before. I guess I am to trusting. If they guy wasn't happy and only used the props once and nothing was wrong with them I would take them back.

got twins ? 04-09-2008 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Macklin (Post 2518979)

Take the $250 and run...

When I asked him why he didn't want them he replied they are awesome but I just can't get the rpms out of them.
Now if that was the case and he really did try them then he would of surely noticed they were screwed up from the beginning regardless of whether or not he had the right ratio.
The on prop was out by 300-400 rpms compared to the other.
I will take full responsibility for waiting as long as I did ..... but honestly didn't think there was an issue do to the time of the year. Boating was over for the season as far as I was concerned.

Jeff