Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What do you do when you're ripped off ? >

What do you do when you're ripped off ?

Notices

What do you do when you're ripped off ?

Old 04-10-2008, 05:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since they are cleaver props ,I think thats whats wrong. Y ou need round ear for your boat it has the deep drives being a 88 straight v. your boat in 88 came with 3 blades. it seems the cleavers run good on cats, stepped hulls. I would have sent them to bblades not the factory. brett you tell you what to do. they might be off from the factory specs. T hat I have heard of there props no two are the same thats why people send them to brett to have them balanced blue printed. so they are the same. and he would ask you if your getting bow lift or not. I think you need a m plus, 21 or 23. or a merc rev 4 21 or 23, or b1 22. brett would send you out the props to test and once you find a set close he would then labb them. its the best way to go. unless you know what prop you need then you buy used stock and send them to him to labb. I have done a lot of prop testing over the years with friends and it sounds to me you had the wrong style cleaver instead of round and to much pitch for a set of 330hps in a heavy straight v. save some cash up and try Brett AT BLADDES THIS SPRING. ART
Old 04-10-2008, 05:12 AM
Registered

Ya... Glassdave doesn't usually.... but when he does, he is usually right. I can see the possibility that the seller tried them briefly and moved right on, knowing that it wasn't happening. He could have spent very little mental energy on it, knowing that they weren't the props for him.
Who knows.

If we all agree to be suspicious of Moeron from now on, and you agree to change up your prop buying routine, can we hijack this and turn it into a thread about who has destroyed a prop worse?
Btw... on the issue of prop buying.... we have a guy on the western end of lake erie that will let you try before you buy. Of course, you bend it you bought it. But, that is a great service for folks just trying to find that perfect prop. There could be other willing to do this to earn your business. But I don't think I would buy props on the internet. I am spoiled by the "try them out and see" guy. Props to Lake Erie Props.
(This is possibly the same guy that looked at Bouy's prop. I think that bouy and I hit the same pickup truck in the bay.)

I think that you should put them up for auction and see which one of these big ballers will buy them and use them for decorations just to end your pain. Sell them to Bill and tell him that they are huge shotglasses. Put a green light in one and a red light in the other and sell them on ebay as proplights. Tell Bootdaddy that they are paperweights. When Dean sees the pic of one on Pat's desk.... Dean will buy the other. Things are great in Paducah.
How much do you want for them, anyway? Let's see what we can get for those bad boys.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fund razor
Props to Lake Erie Props.
(This is possibly the same guy that looked at Bouy's prop. I think that bouy and I hit the same pickup truck in the bay.)
Yep - Lake Erie Props.
And I think I hit a school bus on my way into the Ottawa River.
For the record - It was at idle, and I had turned the wheel over for a minute to answer the cell phone in the cabin.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Yep - Lake Erie Props.
And I think I hit a school bus on my way into the Ottawa River.
For the record - It was at idle, and I had turned the wheel over for a minute to answer the cell phone in the cabin.
I have that school bus marked on my GPS
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
since they are cleaver props ,I think thats whats wrong. Y ou need round ear for your boat it has the deep drives being a 88 straight v. your boat in 88 came with 3 blades. it seems the cleavers run good on cats, stepped hulls. I would have sent them to bblades not the factory. brett you tell you what to do. they might be off from the factory specs. T hat I have heard of there props no two are the same thats why people send them to brett to have them balanced blue printed. so they are the same. and he would ask you if your getting bow lift or not. I think you need a m plus, 21 or 23. or a merc rev 4 21 or 23, or b1 22. brett would send you out the props to test and once you find a set close he would then labb them. its the best way to go. unless you know what prop you need then you buy used stock and send them to him to labb. I have done a lot of prop testing over the years with friends and it sounds to me you had the wrong style cleaver instead of round and to much pitch for a set of 330hps in a heavy straight v. save some cash up and try Brett AT BLADDES THIS SPRING. ART
Thanks for the info AIRTIME,

From what I have gathered from previous threads months back is that not only is the 311 heavy and a straight hull but it already has a natural bow lift in the hull created by a hook towards the stern therefore what I am looking for is a "tail lifting prop"

I guess I should also clarify something else as well. I am looking for cruising performance as opposed to top end. Lets face it this is not by any means a fast boat in todays world.

The Hydromotive Quad IVs 24 pitch are the prop of choice for a 311 with the same power according to fellow 311 owners on the Formula forum.

I tried a set of Bravos and got the speeds I was looking for but I had to have my tabs down in order to stop the porpoising. Apparently this is eliminated with the Quad IVs.

Jeff
Old 04-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Fair enough, that being said i over propped a 260 Scorpion i had and it gave the boat a fantastic cruise. Lost on the top end but that hull really wasnt a big performer anyway. What exactly did Hydro say was wrong with these props? I would almost be wanting a second opinion from an independent like Bret at BBlades. I am still of the mind 24" is over over prop though. I have a friend with this exact same boat and will see what he has had luck with if it will help.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-10-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
I say BS.
IF MOERON tried the props and had half a brain he had to know they were F'ed.
300 -400 RPM difference is not just not the right props for the boat. I don't care if he did or didn't know they were bad - IF he is a MAN OF HIS WORD he should have said send them back for a FULL refund.

REMEMBER YOU CAN POLISH A PIG BUT IT IS STILL A PIG.
Based on the information provided by Jeff, I Call BS as well. A few friends, and myself, from OSO encouraged Jeff to join the OSO family for the advice and fun here. He trusted our judgement and joined. He has asked for my advice on buying from fellow OSOr's and I had given him my blessing. I have sold SEVERAL parts to many others here and have had no problems. Moeron had to know that these props were no good and sold them to Jeff anyways. The time frame shouldn't matter. Jeff did the right thing by sending them to Hydromotive to have them checked out, who knows, maybe his boat was messed up at the end of the season. It was worth it to him to have them evaluated.

I think that Moeron should MAN up and send the additional $250 and do whatever with the props his conscience allows!

Dave
Old 04-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by got twins ?
the 311 heavy and a straight hull but it already has a natural bow lift in the hull created by a hook towards the stern therefore what I am looking for is a "tail lifting prop"
Jeff
Jeff i don't think a 311 has the hook. The 242 and 272 had them but 311's were straight. My 311 is anyway. The Hydro should work though. I Believe Formula Outlaw had them on his 311

PS sorry to get off topic!!
Old 04-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
Fair enough, that being said i over propped a 260 Scorpion i had and it gave the boat a fantastic cruise. Lost on the top end but that hull really wasnt a big performer anyway. What exactly did Hydro say was wrong with these props? I would almost be wanting a second opinion from an independent like Bret at BBlades. I am still of the mind 24" is over over prop though. I have a friend with this exact same boat and will see what he has had luck with if it will help.
Apparently they have been cut down or at least attempted to be anyway.
Who knows? I certainly don't .....

As far as your friend goes .... thay would be great if you could pass on the info.

And for the record the boats that responded the most with regards to input on what props to buy were 311s with 365mags. as opposed to 330s ....

I spoke to 4-5 different guys regarding the difference in horsepower and for the application I am looking for it should matter at all.

The funny part is that I only lost 2-3 mph on top end but gained 5-7mph mid range ....
I can cruise now at 3000 rpm and get 40-42 mph where before I was only getting 35-36 mph.

Thanks again ...

Jeff

Last edited by got twins ?; 04-10-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Car Biz
Jeff i don't think a 311 has the hook. The 242 and 272 had them but 311's were straight. My 311 is anyway. The Hydro should work though. I Believe Formula Outlaw had them on his 311

PS sorry to get off topic!!
There are 3 311s we cruise with and they all have a very slight hook to them.

Mine included ....

Jeff

Quick Reply: What do you do when you're ripped off ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.