Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help!Which prop goes to which side?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/184199-help-prop-goes-side.html)

txriverrat2001 04-10-2008 04:15 PM

Got a better one - another mechanic I know was rigging a center console with twin outboards ... long story short they are going for the first test ride and the owner was having a helluva time gettin it off the trailer. Come to find out they had the controls set up for standard rotation on the CR engine - thus forward and reverse were backwards.... and all the while I'm standing in the boat laighing my ass off cause they also had the hydraulic steering hooked up backwards .... right be left and left be right.....

It just wasn't his day......

Southocg 04-10-2008 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2520719)
The only way to tell for sure is to put one of them on the boat, start the engine (on the hose) and put that drive in forward. Then you can tell which prop to put where based on which rotation will make you go forward.

You don't want to swap your props and not realize it. I tried to back off my trailer one time when a mechanic had swapped my props. I could not for the life of me figure out why I could not idle backwards off of my trailer--needs more power. I damn near drove into the back of my truck!!

LMAO.... That was funny (now).

Not trying to jack a thread but that story made me think back a couple years.

Putting my boat on the trailer down in Shelter Island, San Diego, me and my buddy had a system. He would back the truck down while I stayed in the boat in the water. He would back in and I would drive on. He would get out, tighten the strap and off we go. Whole process takes like 20 seconds tops.

So the story goes, this guy watches us do it. Has his buddy stay in his boat, owner goes up and gets the truck, backs it down. Buddy sticks the boat in gear, swings the ass of the boat around and is now trying to back onto the trailer.
Attempts this 4 or 5 times before he realizes with his buddy (owner) is yelling from the back of the truck.

Probably the funniest sh!t I've ever seen. Oh yeah.... Lower unit and prop, fukced!

pshannon 04-10-2008 07:47 PM

I got them on guys thanks for the quick responce and funny ass stories. At least I know when I put it in and kick it in reverse and if it doesn't move or moves the wrong way to just turn it off pull it out switch the props and roll....

Magic Medicine 04-10-2008 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Southocg (Post 2520737)
LMAO.... That was funny (now).

Not trying to jack a thread but that story made me think back a couple years.

Putting my boat on the trailer down in Shelter Island, San Diego, me and my buddy had a system. He would back the truck down while I stayed in the boat in the water. He would back in and I would drive on. He would get out, tighten the strap and off we go. Whole process takes like 20 seconds tops.

So the story goes, this guy watches us do it. Has his buddy stay in his boat, owner goes up and gets the truck, backs it down. Buddy sticks the boat in gear, swings the ass of the boat around and is now trying to back onto the trailer.
Attempts this 4 or 5 times before he realizes with his buddy (owner) is yelling from the back of the truck.

Probably the funniest sh!t I've ever seen. Oh yeah.... Lower unit and prop, fukced!

Holy rat that is funny!:evilb:

Sydwayz 04-10-2008 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 2520729)
Oh the irony....:D

Its only bad if a girl sees it happen, and they were all back at the house. The only one close was Docmanrich37, and he was in the truck, trying to duck. So he did not see much either. :evilb:

MOBILEMERCMAN 04-10-2008 10:02 PM

Another way of saying it is ,They spin up in the middle ,the same as swinging out, conventional, Right on right and left on left.

:sport009:

Or Look at your brothers boat. probably same as your fathers boat.