What is going on with Poker Runs? >

What is going on with Poker Runs?

Notices

What is going on with Poker Runs?

Old 04-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by copiercat
so with all this said why do we have to have an official event, why not cut the middle men out of this deal since its supposedly for charity and no one makes any money and just have get togethers or fun runs, at different places and cut out the crap, i really could care less about all the glamor of all the planned activities at the poker runs and who's to say that an impromtu barbeque and parking lot party at a hotel wouldnt be just as much fun or more and we could still get deals on rooms and docks space if we blocked out enough space..since the economy is in the crapper its a suggestion to get a handle on some unnecassary cost's...my .02

That would pretty much describe the Ft. Myers Offshore club gatherings.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Easier to handle, cheaper to fuel (on a trailer) always works with engines and drives fully warranteed. People are not getting rid of their big boats, they just want to keep boating in an easier way.
that's true Charlie!

I'm considering buying my in-laws 24' cabin cruiser for $5K and keep it at the marina.... Then put the big boat on the trailer along side the house and use it a couple times a year. Marina fees are currently $135 ft so with that and gas I'd still be ahead of the game buying the 2nd boat....
Old 04-18-2008, 03:19 PM
FPC Events
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I would chime in.
You all mentioned so many things!

Poker Run entry fees: Bottom line, prices have gone up. Insurance costs, The restaurants are charging more for food, the staff costs & hotel rooms for staff are up. FPC is at $595 for most of our events - not much more than 1999 - I looked it up, $595 for November Key West $495 for the other events.

For the boat owners: Gas, Insurance, Hotels, Travel - all higher than 3 or 4 years ago. Not to mention the bad economy.

Safety - some people like it, some people don't. Some people won't do an event where they have to wear a PFD or has a NO alchohol policy. Other people appreciate the rules.

IDEA: "Do new locations" - we've tried, low attendance. Everyone likes doing the big events. Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd. I love the smaller runs, I think more frienships are made. I also like doing new locations. But other people have to trust that it will be good. Not an easy chore.

PROBLEM: "Double booked weekends" - sometimes event organizers are at the mercy of resort availability, holidays, marina availability, personal schedules & sponsors. Events with strong participation shouldn't be affected by a new event. Tickfaw / TX will both have good numbers. I can assure you (Gino) it is not done intentionally.

COMMENT from someone: Sponsored boats are making event costs higher. NOT TRUE. Most of the sponsored boat owners still pay their own entry fee, if the sponsors want additional coverage, they pay for that, like sponsors do.

Our last 2 BIG events were about as big as they could be. Our last 2 small events were still small.
I guess we will see over the next few months if we really have something to worry about.
Jacksonville, Emerald Coast, Key West - Best of luck!
Old 04-18-2008, 03:35 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those three are on the "absolutely" list for So FL OSO. Look forward to seeing ya Jackie
Old 04-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jackie.fpc
I thought I would chime in.
You all mentioned so many things!

Poker Run entry fees: Bottom line, prices have gone up. Insurance costs, The restaurants are charging more for food, the staff costs & hotel rooms for staff are up. FPC is at $595 for most of our events - not much more than 1999 - I looked it up, $595 for November Key West $495 for the other events.

For the boat owners: Gas, Insurance, Hotels, Travel - all higher than 3 or 4 years ago. Not to mention the bad economy.

Safety - some people like it, some people don't. Some people won't do an event where they have to wear a PFD or has a NO alchohol policy. Other people appreciate the rules.

IDEA: "Do new locations" - we've tried, low attendance. Everyone likes doing the big events. Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd. I love the smaller runs, I think more frienships are made. I also like doing new locations. But other people have to trust that it will be good. Not an easy chore.

PROBLEM: "Double booked weekends" - sometimes event organizers are at the mercy of resort availability, holidays, marina availability, personal schedules & sponsors. Events with strong participation shouldn't be affected by a new event. Tickfaw / TX will both have good numbers. I can assure you (Gino) it is not done intentionally.

COMMENT from someone: Sponsored boats are making event costs higher. NOT TRUE. Most of the sponsored boat owners still pay their own entry fee, if the sponsors want additional coverage, they pay for that, like sponsors do.

Our last 2 BIG events were about as big as they could be. Our last 2 small events were still small.
I guess we will see over the next few months if we really have something to worry about.
Jacksonville, Emerald Coast, Key West - Best of luck!
Jackie! Thanks for the Key West run last weekend!! As you know my crew and everybody on the run had a blast!!! Thanks for putting the run together. Some of us are not slowing down. Looking forward to more poker runs!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

FPC and PRA put on first class events and first class anything costs money. I agree the smaller events are more social and you get to meet everyone on the run. The big events are awesome displays of hardware and you get to meet a lot of people but you may not remember their name by the time you meet a 100 others.

FPC has great events to the Keys which can be tricky for new boaters if they have never ventured through Card Sound/ Biscayne Bay on their own. FPC also runs the only poker run to the Bahamas as well which is a run my wife and I have done twice and look forward to doing again this summer.
We will be at Daytona/ Jax again for the 4th year in a row and they are two great events (one small and one huge!).
Old 04-18-2008, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Those Northeast runs sound interesting....what is the minimum size for boats?

We are going to have a banana demo in the Northest this summer, but it will probably be a 28 single. Do you have a twin engine min rule?

I originally started boating at a very young age and nothing has ever been able to replace it, as a way to leave the world behind.

Regardless of what is going on, just untying from the dock and idling out, allows me to leave everything behind. I am sure it is the same for you too.

We are having a lot of interest in our smaller boats, 24 and 28's for the reasons that have been stated here. Less is more type of thinking.

Easier to handle, cheaper to fuel (on a trailer) always works with engines and drives fully warranteed. People are not getting rid of their big boats, they just want to keep boating in an easier way.
NJPPC has no limit on what you can run, we run several classes for speeds that fits everyones needs, works well!
I started years ago with a single engine Donzi 22 ZX. We have a few 24 Outlaws that run with us.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I liked doing the runs years back to get great pics and video of my boat. In my experience lately, the helicopters stay with the big guns in the front and if you dont run 100mph and in the front of the pack, you dont get any pics or video coverage.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanghied Again
NJPPC has no limit on what you can run, we run several classes for speeds that fits everyones needs, works well!
I started years ago with a single engine Donzi 22 ZX. We have a few 24 Outlaws that run with us.
Thanks for the reply....we will definitely come with our new 28 single sterndrive and see if we can get some of our customers to bring some of their 24's too.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 25 hors la loi
Sorry Semper , i am not agree with you ...because when you bought a boat of many thousand $$$ , it`s not a entry fee at 500 to 800 $ can stop you to show your boat at this kind of event .... i think we have to dig more than that ....

and for the gas ...not a 30 % more $$ for a day compare than 2 year a go can stop the Big end boat owner ...
this my 2 cent ...sorry for my bad engish
Regards
And I respectfully will disagree with you on the $$ issue, or lack of. Statistics show that there are a bundle of millionaires right now as I write this shopping at discount stores like Walmart. Point is, your 39' Cig owner may have spend 600k for his boat, but he will still drive two miles down the road for 2cents less for fuel.

Quick Reply: What is going on with Poker Runs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.