Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is going on with Poker Runs? >

What is going on with Poker Runs?

Notices

What is going on with Poker Runs?

Old 04-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for me the biggest negatives are of coarse the cost of fuel, for the boat and the truck, arrogent people, fake women, no- it all's.. and insurance..
i was going to attend the firemans run in Jacksonville and was past the fuel and room costs till i got to the insurance requirement and that was a deal killer, they wanted $2000 for the weekend..
I really enjoy just running with a few friends at a non event - event.. i know how their gonna run their equiptment and what to expect. no big production or show to deal with just people having fun ,also less of a law enforcement presense to always be looking out for as well
Old 04-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanghied Again
Now I now what happened. Thats how I met You! Our lives havent been the same since ( The bar is only up the block A) Life is what we make of it and if it wasn't for boating I would have never met a great friend like You!
Thats what boating and Poker Runs are all about (Not the Money) Meeting new friends and making great memories.
Amen brother!
The best friends I have ever had come from the Poker run circuits! I have never felt out of place even when I was running a 22' Donzi @ 70mph.
I agree with everyone that the overall cost and time involvement for the runs is what is limiting some. However, like the Jamin' and Chesapeake runs, the NJ runs are going as strong as ever.
The reality of the situation is a conglomeration of costs, time commitment, and as Gino ststed overlapping dates that has affected attendences. In the NE where we do a handful of runs compared to Fla., it is easier to fill the runs because we only have a limited amount and season.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by PARADOX
I have to laugh .. I just love the racing flag on your logo.
But seriously.. I have not been in the NJ run.. but there are a lot of good and fun Poker Runs.
Some just .... well just getting out of hand, and out of the original "intent" of the runs..
There is an irony there and I find a chuckle in that myself.
I do want to go on record and say that we were the first club to institute a below 60mph class (cruiser / small boat), then a 45mph class, and we were the first club to self mandate speed limits during the runs.
The checkered flag is a carryover from the founders of the club who were offshore racers and we use the checkered flags to mark the card stops.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Originally Posted by offthefront
I dont see how you can do one for a grand? The jacksonville Run coming up .... 600.00 entry for 4 people ...600.00 for fuel if you run Friday and Saturday and 600.00 will be tough ( and I know thats not a huge HP setup) ....plus all that has been stated ... travel (fuel) lodging ...it adds up .. To the big guns its not a big deal but I bet even some of those guys are feeling the pinch of total cost ........m
Actually you're right, it's a lot more money than that now. But local entry fees are around $200, my old boat would only burn about 100 gallons, $90 for the dually and that left a few hundred for the food and booze. I stay in the boat so no hotel.
The 386 will take $700 to fill, plus the run fees and the truck gas. Puts me over a grand and the wife hasn't eaten yet. Or more importantly had a drink!
Old 04-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chuck
It seems that a great deal of people assume that if a guy is driving a nice boat he isn't interested in talking to those with smaller boats. A great deal of the people I have met with upper end boats have to work extremely hard to have that boat and are some of the most down to earth people you could meet. I myself am guilty (alot of the time) of just hanging with the people I come to the run with instead of just going up and introducing myself to strangers (regardless of the boat they are in). I think if we ( all of us boaters) put ourselves out there a little more we would all have a better time.
I couldn't agree more. I have the most fun hanging with the participants and spectators. The run itself is just a reason to gather, in my opinion. I do love the club events! The attitiude of some other organizations is just plain chitty. The clubs seem to always be very gratious and helpful and often benefits charities (I think that is great) vs. some of the "for profit" organizations who, in my opinion have developed an F-U mentality. They act like we're lucky to have them around.
I'm looking forward to our next run (TickFaw) and meeting more boating enthusiast.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shanghied Again
Now I now what happened. Thats how I met You! Our lives havent been the same since ( The bar is only up the block A) Life is what we make of it and if it wasn't for boating I would have never met a great friend like You!
Thats what boating and Poker Runs are all about (Not the Money) Meeting new friends and making great memories.
First of all it's EH!!!
Secondly the bar might have been a little bit of a walk, but it was downhill all the way home .....
Tom and I visit bar that is a lot closer, and it's all flat land there and back .....
Old 04-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bluellama
Tom and I visit bar that is a lot closer, and it's all flat land there and back .....
The women are a lot more feminine and friendly there too......eh!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

-The prices are extreme.
-The speeds are extreme.
-There are too many morons.

-The prices are extreme:
The entrance fees are simply ridiculous... If gas was 99 cents a gallon I still have a hard time forking over the entrance fee money.

-The speeds are extreme:
If you have a 'regular' performance boat and don't want to beat the hell out of it there is no place for you. It used to be that you were running fast if you cruised at 40. Now the slowest bracket has minimum speeds of 50-55. It's hard to have a smaller boat and keep up with that, and hard to have any 80's-early 90's boat and keep up with that.

-There are too many morons:
There are more people doing PR's than ever before... Anyone with a fat wallet has joined in and there are some real idiots out there with fat wallets. It used to be that you avoided the 1 or 2 morons for the day and everyone knew who they were. Now you have a ton of boats and a ton of morons... it's hard to tell who to avoid.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know about you guys... but I just paid $4.04 for 91 at the pump this morning. That hurts no matter who you are!
Old 04-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Has anyone ever considered the alternative ??????????

Reading most of the threads it appears to me boredom is part of the reason people are not returning to PR events.

How about trading some of those Poker Run Boats in for Raceboats with canopies ?? They are safer, better coordinated events, Prize Purses for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place. You do not need insurance on the boat, probably use less fuel in a race, real competition, real sense of winning. Last year OSS paid out to some classes for 1st place as much as $15,000 for one race, along with all the additional incentives Mercury offers to Racers.

OSS is currently putting a program together with Tres Martin for instructing Poker Runners "How to cross over into Racing".

It would be very interesting to hear the feedback !!!!!!

Quick Reply: What is going on with Poker Runs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.