Another Ala. Lake going down???? >

Another Ala. Lake going down????

Notices

Another Ala. Lake going down????

Old 04-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Another Ala. Lake fighting anti boating laws!

Introduced into Alabama Legislation on 4/10/2008 is Lake Jordan, proposed to join three other lakes banning performance boats over 26'11". Yall watch and listen to legislation in your state. This is the lake I live on, if it gets passed both my boats are illegal!

Last edited by INDY27; 04-15-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to all the house reps, everyone need to start blowing up the phones to every one of the guys and voice their opinion! Even if your not from this state it doesnt matter, tell em you live in Montgomery!
http://www.legislature.state.al.us/h...ter_alpha.html

FYI, Rep. Barry Mask is the one responsible for introducing the bill, HB847
Old 04-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a link to the article www.dailyhome.com But it changes to tomorrow's paper tonite,I don't know how to save it,maybe someone more computer smart than me can do it.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

more info...
Another state lake may face boat ban
By David Atchison
04-12-2008

Legislation was introduced in Montgomery Thursday to ban houseboats and big, fast boats on another Alabama Power Company lake.
Rep. Barry Mask, R-Wetumpka, said Friday he introduced HB 847, which would ban houseboats and big, fast boats on Lake Jordan.

Lake Jordan is a 6,800-acre APC impoundment located about 25 miles north of Montgomery along the Coosa River basin.

Mask said he was urged by his constituents to introduce the bill.

“People who live there asked me to introduce this bill,” he said.

Mask said the Lake Jordan Home Owners and Boat Owners Association supports the bill.

He said Lake Jordan residents fear that big boat owners will move their boats to Lake Jordan after legislators passed a law forbidding houseboats and big, fast boats on three east Alabama lakes —Weiss, Harris and Martin lakes.

“That was the main concern of my constituents,” Mask said.

He said the bill he introduced is basically an amendment to the legislation passed by lawmakers a year ago, and only adds Lake Jordan to the list of lakes where certain type boats are banned.

“When you look at Lake Jordan, it’s a much smaller impoundment,” Mask said. “It makes more sense. It was on the original list. I don’t understand why it was taken off.”

Originally, the legislation included 11 APC lake impoundments, including Jordan and Logan Martin lakes. After strong opposition surfaced, the legislation was watered-down to include only the three east Alabama lakes, Weiss, Harris and Martin.

The constitutionality of the legislation was challenged in Montgomery courts. Only last month, Montgomery County Circuit Judge Johnny Hardwick ruled that the big boat ban law was constitutional.

That ruling is expected to be challenged.

Steve Northington of Prattville, who was a party in the original lawsuit against the state challenging the constitutionality of the big boat ban law, said his group plans to appeal Hardwick’s ruling.

Mask said the current legislation, HB 847, is in the Agriculture and Forestry Committee and, if approved by that committee, could hit the House floor next week.

The Alabama Marine Industries Association voiced opposition to the proposed legislation Friday.

“The Alabama Marine Industries Association is taking the same position as the last time,” said Byron McCain, executive director of the AMIA. “We’re going to oppose it.”

He said the initial legislation and last month’s ruling by Hardwick has opened the door to banning specific type boats because of size or class.

“We knew there was potential for additional legislation,” he said.

McCain questions where the boat ban will end — wake boats, personal watercraft?

“Then the next thing is fishing boats that go faster than 80 mph,” he said.

McCain said existing boat laws need to be enforced first, before laws are passed to ban certain type boats. He said it’s all about the operator, not the boat.

“It’s our understanding that this law was not driven by the Conservation Department,” McCain added.

He said Lake Jordan is a small lake, and the fear of big boats moving from one of the largest lakes in Alabama, Lake Martin, to Lake Jordan is unfounded.

“Nobody knows the outcome of the enforcement,” McCain said.

He said AMIA requested a public hearing Friday.

“We’ve asked for a public hearing, and we’ll be down there for a public hearing,” McCain said.

Former Sen. Gerald Dial, D-Lineville, said the original boat ban legislation was sparked by Georgia developers who wanted assurances that houseboats were restricted by law from Lake Harris before moving forward with plans for an upscale development, similar to that of the Reynolds Plantation on Lake Oconee, east of Atlanta.

Lake Harris was in Dial’s district. Rep. Richard Laird, D-Roanoke, simultaneously introduced a companion bill in the House.

APC officials, who supported the legislation but maintained they did not “drive” the original legislation and only provided “input,” admitted that the power company was involved in talks about the possible land deal. APC owns about 10,000 acres along Lake Harris.

APC also intervened in the lawsuit challenging the big boat ban legislation, siding with the state, and sought to join in defense of the legislation “from the perspective of a significant owner of the lands surrounding the lakes in question.”

The boat ban legislation, passed last year, outright prohibits boats longer than 26 feet, 11 inches and capable of speeds in excess of 60 mph on Weiss, Harris and Martin lakes.

The big boat ban also prohibits recreational vessels longer than 30 feet, six inches, and houseboats, but both classes of those boats were grandfathered in, if they were on those lakes before the legislation was enacted.

About David Atchison David Atchison is Pell City news editor for The Daily Home.

Contact David Atchison Phone:
E-mail:
205-884-3400
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Registered

No Grandfathering boats in?
Old 04-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

If the boat is over 26' 11" and capable of over 60 mph,no grandfathering in,it's banned immediately,as in get off the lake now,does't matter if you've owned it 20 years,it has to go.Over 30' 6" and less than 60 mph,you are grandfathered in,but you cannot sell it on that lake. An over 30'6" and below 60 mph cannot be brought in at all.Tip of the iceberg,folks,a very slippery slope we are going down. Too many folks want their lake to be like "On Golden Pond".After over 2 years of fighting,over 100K in legal bills and still owe more,I am getting too old,and too tired and too broke to continue the fight much longer. There is talk of an appeal,but we have to find some more money.Alabama Power Company has plenty. I am not going anywhere,I have lived in Alabama all of my 64 years,but I may have to adjust my model lineup somewhat. A real shame,most of my customers with"illegal" boats are safe and courteous and cause no problems at all.Sorry for the rant. Peace,out

Last edited by Magicfloat; 04-12-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Registered

Damn tree huggers!
Old 04-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I just spoke with Rep. Mask about the bill and the problem here is that some of the residents fear that the big fast boats are going to gather on this lake and take over. While he personally may not believe this will happen he has been under pressure from the home owner's & boat owner's association to introduce the bill. He told me that from the time that Judge Hardwick ruled in favor of keeping the ban that his office has had 33 calls from people in favor of the bill and my call was the ONLY one he has received in opposition! He is not the bad guy here but if everyone remains silent then they have to assume it is what the majority want, SO SPEAK UP NOW before its too late!

Last edited by INDY27; 04-12-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Rep Mask is caught in the middle here,I think he is a good guy,just misinformed.Those that call him,please be nice. I think he will listen to us.I do not believe the Power company is involved in this latest move at all.

Last edited by Magicfloat; 04-12-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck in your fight it's only starting in ALABAMA.

Quick Reply: Another Ala. Lake going down????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.