Boat Mechanic vs. Airplane Mechanic

Notices

Boat Mechanic vs. Airplane Mechanic

Old 05-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by therealdeal
I bet all of you are the loser of your shop. I know trippin is. You all need to get a life and stop posting about work when you get home.
Flattery will get you no where shadetree boy.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting back a little more to the two different schools of thought here .......... Aircraft tech's are anal about everything, which is a good thing .......... Case in point .... I'm doing my spring engine and drive service I find that (3ea) different types of grease are required by the merc maintenance manual to properly lube all components ..... Went down to my favoriate boat shop to shoot the breeze a little and pick up the the (3ea) required lubricants ......... Well to my suprise, I find that my favoriate shop only uses (1ea) type of grease for everything listed above ..... So to be nice, I take the grease which was one that I needed anyway, and leave ....... Not satisfied with that I proceed to another boat shop .......... Long story short, I went to (5ea) shops to get all 3 lubes that I needed to properly complete the job ........... Not one used all three as required by the maintenance manual ........ Now the difference here, is that an aircraft mechanic would never do that, it calls for (3ea) different types of grease, it gets all three ........... period ......... or this bird aint flying ......... just that simple ....... certain types of grease freeze at neg 65 deg F. so you don't want your flight controls to lock up and stuff at 40,000 ft ........... I know boats don't go through these changes all day long, everyday, but there is some signifigance to the different types ........... The Airman has to cover his A@# ........ no reason not too.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can understand that logic, in the case of most marine service facilites they just don't keep up with the changes that occur with the major manufacturers and their respective products.

Usually the tech will have to request the new accomodating product, be it grease or a new updated seal or an electrical component, and the tech will only know about the new products if he/she has been to or received a product update seminar or just happened to put forth the effort and search through the product service bulletins and or recall directives.

There are only a select few techs that have enough pride in their work to take that extra step and actually resolve potential problems before they arise.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very true....we are lucky to have a good crew at our shop and are able to troubleshoot alot of things that the Factory can't seem to figure out! (can't name brands, sorry!!)....

Check us out.....our customers are all over the U.S.A. We are happy to help.

thx,
steve

www.legacycustommarine.com