Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Possible scam on new boat, Input and opinions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/184398-possible-scam-new-boat-input-opinions.html)

BAJA WILL 04-13-2008 09:01 AM

Possible scam on new boat, Input and opinions

I have a individual who claims to want to purchase a new boat from us. Of course they want to pay in 10K payments. I am pretty sure its one of those BS scams. However if they wire transfer me 10K and don't take delivery of the boat, how can I get ripped??

WILL:hitfan:

pasquesi 04-13-2008 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL (Post 2523569)
I have a individual who claims to want to purchase a new boat from us. Of course they want to pay in 10K payments. I am pretty sure its one of those BS scams. However if they wire transfer me 10K and don't take delivery of the boat, how can I get ripped??

WILL:hitfan:

They are most likely just trying to get your bank account information. Open up a separate account and as soon as they make the transfer, move that money into your other account.

Then again, maybe it's for real! Good luck!

mr.boat 04-13-2008 09:17 AM

make it bank to bank routing only to a savings account and keep the boat to balance zero. get the cash you have all the cards. make your bank protect you. it's what you pay them to do.

BAJA WILL 04-13-2008 10:18 AM

Yea I was think along the same lines, what if I have them wire into an account my bank has or just a empty account that has no ties to me or the company?? I am pretty sure its BS but, the individual has said nothing about shipping the boat and he listed a address as only about 40 miles away??

hillbilly24 04-13-2008 11:50 AM

It actually sounds to me like a guy with some cash that he has not documented so he does not want to make any huge transactions, move it in small pieces and no flags pop up. I would still be very carefull but I would see where it goes.

formula 382 sr-1 04-13-2008 12:15 PM

Good luck Will I hope it's works out. :D

Griff 04-13-2008 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL (Post 2523644)
Yea I was think along the same lines, what if I have them wire into an account my bank has or just a empty account that has no ties to me or the company?? I am pretty sure its BS but, the individual has said nothing about shipping the boat and he listed a address as only about 40 miles away??

If he's 40 miles away, then tell him to bring you cash.

tony stamis 04-13-2008 01:09 PM

they want your acct # and routing # so they can make counter fit checks like the one i got for my motor have you apoken to them on the phone or only by email. if he calls from a phone find out the name and adress its under make sure its not a payphone. the check scams are usually only by email

BAJA WILL 04-13-2008 04:43 PM

Tony,

So I guess you can still get scamed, they used the routing # and account # for another check??

fountainracing65 04-13-2008 05:15 PM

the local Cadillac dealer in town got involved in a few deals like what your saying. The I.R.S. got involved somehow and things got ugly. Was in the news for weeks.