Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can anyone in the business help a borther out? >

Can anyone in the business help a borther out?

Notices

Can anyone in the business help a borther out?

Old 04-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Can anyone in the business help a borther out?

Guys - I know I am not the typical OSO guy - I dont have a 100 mph boat and I don't race...but like all of you I am a DIY guy who loves boating and I could use some help:

Well the wedding is over - cost us a ton ... we are broke but I dont want to wait until my youngest graduates from college to get the boat going again.......and I dont trust the engines I have (looooong story) and frankly I dont trust any of the non-premium builders but cant afford the premium guys yet.

I think the smartest move for me in the short run is to buy two new factory NEW 502s, move my accessories over, get them dyno tuned (carbs etc) and re-installed by a local guy I have come to trust .... I will also be changing out the transmissions so that both motors are regular rotation and the ratios are higher so I can spin the motors easily....then I will sell the extra parts.

Is there anyone on here in the business that gets some kind of discount on Factory New GM Marine motors and would be willing to pass along some savings to me if I run the business through them? I'm not looking for handouts - just hate to pay retail if I don't need to. Maybe you need the volume or something?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those engine will need to be checked also(clearances, etc..). There are a lot of people that run them with success, but some that don't. My buddy bought a boat with a new crate 502 and it spun a rod bearing because they left the 6 qt. pan that came with it on it. High rpm run sucked the pan dry and Boom!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Swamp,

I have two Mercruiser 502's on the way to me. They're 465/500 horse and you can cam/carb them up to about 600hp. They're absolutely new on the inside. I'll PM you.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're PM's are turned off. You'll have to contact me if you're interested.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swamplizard
Guys - I know I am not the typical OSO guy - I dont have a 100 mph boat and I don't race
Contrary to what some members would lead you to believe.... the only requirement here is a computer. Most of us do not have 100 mph boats, heck... some of us are between boats.
Never feel bad about your boat.
Anybody on this site who tries to make another member feel bad about having a slow boat or being between boats is part of what is wrong with performance boating. And... frankly.... part of what is wrong with OSO.

Get ahold of Chris about your engine.
He is both knowledgeable and honest.

Good luck.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Registered

fund razor - I meant no disrespect in my openning statement .... I have a big cruiser with arnesons so the cruiser guys typically cant help me and this is not an all out gofast either....frankly the guys here on OSO have never let me down information-wise or dissed the harley superstar. It is what it is right? Anyway I will check in with Chris.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Registered

Chris - shoot me an email tonight will ya if you have something that might fit the bill.....
orenard at comcast dot net
Old 04-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Swamplizard
fund razor - I meant no disrespect in my openning statement .... I have a big cruiser with arnesons so the cruiser guys typically cant help me and this is not an all out gofast either....frankly the guys here on OSO have never let me down information-wise or dissed the harley superstar. It is what it is right? Anyway I will check in with Chris.
Cool.
I didn't think that you were being disrespectful at all. I thought that maybe you had been disrespected. There seems to have been a recent resurgence in giving members a hard time over their equipment or lack thereof. As if the ride makes the man. I am kind of tired of it, having been raised on cruisers. Wanted to make sure that it wasn't happening to you.

Sounds like Chris just bought some similar mills. He may be able to lead you to a good source. Good luck.
Sorry for the hijack.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fund razor
Cool.
I didn't think that you were being disrespectful at all. I thought that maybe you had been disrespected. There seems to have been a recent resurgence in giving members a hard time over their equipment or lack thereof. As if the ride makes the man. I am kind of tired of it, having been raised on cruisers. Wanted to make sure that it wasn't happening to you.
I kinda took the original post the same way.
I have been knocked twice on this board recently because my boat didn't meet up to someone's standards of Offshore Performance.
Are you freakin' kidding me - a 24/7 old school Pantera doesn't qualify??
It's also funny that every now and then a thread pops up about "Which boat do you wish you would have never sold?" And all the guys mention some smaller more manageable boat that was less expensive, and just plain fun.
As long as you have a love of the water, and you're not an azzhat, you're in as far as I'm concerned.

Swamp - good luck in finding what you need.
I also apologize for the hijack - but look at this way, it bumps your thread to the top again
Old 04-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fund razor
Contrary to what some members would lead you to believe.... the only requirement here is a computer. Most of us do not have 100 mph boats, heck... some of us are between boats.
Never feel bad about your boat.
Anybody on this site who tries to make another member feel bad about having a slow boat or being between boats is part of what is wrong with performance boating. And... frankly.... part of what is wrong with OSO.

Get ahold of Chris about your engine.
He is both knowledgeable and honest.

Good luck.
But it is fun to make fun of Stecz for not having a boat!

Quick Reply: Can anyone in the business help a borther out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.