Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How Much are Boat Registration Fees and Taxes in your State? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/184421-how-much-boat-registration-fees-taxes-your-state.html)

Spicy 04-14-2008 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Love Machine (Post 2523871)
Here in Maryland it goes like this:

- 5% sales tax
- $2 title fee
- $24 registration fee

PJDiesel is correct.....

Bill where you been, sales Tax since the first of the year is 6% now... :angry-smiley-038::angry-smiley-038:

Panther 04-14-2008 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Michael1 (Post 2523867)
$100,000 boat
$1250 property tax
$8250 sales tax (8.25% common here)
$103.13 property tax on sales tax
$40 registration sticker for two years (starting July 1, 2008)

What are the boat taxes and fees in your state?

Since you're being charged property tax, are you able to claim that on your income tax return? And are you also allowed to claim your sales tax when you purchase it?

In NJ we just pay registration which is $52 a year and 7% sales tax on the purchase. You can write off the sales tax on the purchase.

The Dems want to impose a property tax in NJ as well...I think it got shot down but who knows what the future will bring....

I still don't get how they can charge property tax on a boat or RV.... The state doesn't put telephone poles inside our boat or cut sewer/gas lines thru the bow They don't have to re-pave your cockpit every 5 years...... :D

I feel taxes are supposed to pay to run the state, it's not a revenue source...:(

emilsr 04-14-2008 09:24 AM

In Kentucky the sales tax is 6%. You have to prove you paid sales tax in order to register your boat (or car) or the state will tax you based on assessed value when you initially register it.

Personal property tax is based on the assessed value for the boat (1.25567% in my area) and is paid every year. Registration is $36 plus a $6 fee. Registering a trailer is not required (nor do you pay any taxes) but if you want a plate it will cost you $14/year. All the taxes are deductible items on your tax return.

Our taxes/registration cost more than the boat insurance! :(

Shore Thing 04-14-2008 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Spicy (Post 2524440)
PJDiesel is correct.....

Bill where you been, sales Tax since the first of the year is 6% now... :angry-smiley-038::angry-smiley-038:

yeah. thanks O'malley, you phuckin piece of #$^%.

Word on the street is the shoreline bill is gonna get signed shortly moving the critical area back to somewhere between 200 - 300 feet and i likely won't be able to build the house i had planned on when i bought my property in december. He's a worthless a$$hat.

jmeng 04-14-2008 11:13 AM

No taxes on the boat as long as its used and purchased from and individual. 9% on new boats or used bought from a dealer. 9% on the trailer also. Not sure what the registration fee was but it wasn't too bad.

Pismo10 04-14-2008 11:22 AM

Massachusetts has a lefty wing property tax too, plus sales tax, plus reg fees, plus, plus, plus just like on the Left coast of California.

TexomaPowerboater 04-14-2008 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2524502)
Since you're being charged property tax, are you able to claim that on your income tax return? And are you also allowed to claim your sales tax when you purchase it?

:(

You are allowed to deduct the greater of state income taxes paid or sales taxes. There is a standard amount for sales taxes that varies by individual income levels and locations and you are allowed to tack on sales tax on "major purchases" (boat, car) to the standard amount. If your paying property taxes on the boat and its based on the value of the boat then you can deduct that as well.

buck183 04-14-2008 12:15 PM

Arkansas no sales tax on used boat, regardless of state where the boat comes from. 6% sales tax on a new one.

Three years tag is around $36. Three years trailer tag is around $80 or so.

Of course this doesn't include personal property tax you pay annually on the boat. But it's minimal by comparison.

Buck

Love Machine 04-14-2008 12:41 PM

PJDiesel is correct.....

Dudes! I just registered the Pantera TODAY and it's only 5%. I even asked her if it's 6% and she said no. It doesn't apply to boats.:cool-smiley-027:

PJDiesel 04-14-2008 12:43 PM

PJDiesel is correct.....

Funny side story on that. I go to this little local motorcycle/atv shop, the guy that owns it is STILL charging 5%. Not sure how he plans on reconciling that, considering it's APRIL already.:cool-smiley-011: