Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Possible scam on new boat, Input and opinions >

Possible scam on new boat, Input and opinions

Notices

Possible scam on new boat, Input and opinions

Old 04-13-2008, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible scam on new boat, Input and opinions

I have a individual who claims to want to purchase a new boat from us. Of course they want to pay in 10K payments. I am pretty sure its one of those BS scams. However if they wire transfer me 10K and don't take delivery of the boat, how can I get ripped??

WILL
Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
I have a individual who claims to want to purchase a new boat from us. Of course they want to pay in 10K payments. I am pretty sure its one of those BS scams. However if they wire transfer me 10K and don't take delivery of the boat, how can I get ripped??

WILL
They are most likely just trying to get your bank account information. Open up a separate account and as soon as they make the transfer, move that money into your other account.

Then again, maybe it's for real! Good luck!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make it bank to bank routing only to a savings account and keep the boat to balance zero. get the cash you have all the cards. make your bank protect you. it's what you pay them to do.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:18 AM

Yea I was think along the same lines, what if I have them wire into an account my bank has or just a empty account that has no ties to me or the company?? I am pretty sure its BS but, the individual has said nothing about shipping the boat and he listed a address as only about 40 miles away??
Old 04-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It actually sounds to me like a guy with some cash that he has not documented so he does not want to make any huge transactions, move it in small pieces and no flags pop up. I would still be very carefull but I would see where it goes.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Registered

Good luck Will I hope it's works out.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
Yea I was think along the same lines, what if I have them wire into an account my bank has or just a empty account that has no ties to me or the company?? I am pretty sure its BS but, the individual has said nothing about shipping the boat and he listed a address as only about 40 miles away??
If he's 40 miles away, then tell him to bring you cash.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Registered

they want your acct # and routing # so they can make counter fit checks like the one i got for my motor have you apoken to them on the phone or only by email. if he calls from a phone find out the name and adress its under make sure its not a payphone. the check scams are usually only by email
Old 04-13-2008, 04:43 PM

Tony,

So I guess you can still get scamed, they used the routing # and account # for another check??
Old 04-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Registered

the local Cadillac dealer in town got involved in a few deals like what your saying. The I.R.S. got involved somehow and things got ugly. Was in the news for weeks.

Quick Reply: Possible scam on new boat, Input and opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.