Boater sues over ethanol-laced gasoline's effect on fiberglass fuel tank >

Boater sues over ethanol-laced gasoline's effect on fiberglass fuel tank

Notices

Old 04-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boater sues over ethanol-laced gasoline's effect on fiberglass fuel tank

Buddy of mine sent this to me today.....

--------------------

He says oil companies should have warned owners that the additive could cause damage. The oil companies say ethanol's effect on fiberglass has been known for a long time.

By Elizabeth Douglass
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

April 15 2008

Something was wrong with Sally Ann. (paragraph) For months, she sputtered and choked, and Barry Treahy's remedies weren't working. He kept changing her fuel filters. Then he rebuilt her carburetor. Finally, he cut into her gas tank, cleaned out the mysterious caramel-colored gunk and patched her up -- twice.(paragraph) Disaster struck on a summer day in San Diego, when Treahy's beloved 20-foot fishing boat was parked street side with the outer hull plug open to drain any residual water. The boat's 55-gallon gas tank failed and gasoline streamed into the bilge and down the street. (paragraph) "I wasn't smart enough to figure it out at first," Treahy said of Sally Ann's chronic troubles. Finally, he found the answer in a boating magazine. Ethanol-laced gasoline was dissolving his boat's fiberglass fuel tank, sending bits of resin to clog filters and ultimately eating a hole all the way through the tank. (paragraph) Years of adding ethanol to gasoline to reduce air pollution and foreign oil dependence has had a nasty side effect: The stuff appears to damage boat fuel tanks made of fiberglass. And California is a floating testing ground for the ethanol effect.

The complete article can be viewed at:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,2271802.story

Visit latimes.com at http://www.latimes.com
Old 04-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Registered

Talking ethanol

Just had both tanks redone on my skater.I was lucky and did it while the boat was being completely overhauled.Can you imagine ripping apart a sport fish.

I am on here 3x a day and read every magazine I can find,the effects of ethanol were well published according to the gas companies??I never heard anything about it till I bought one,absolute BS. Another slick move by oil companies should be the title.

Remember when they put polybutelyne piping in houses??
They are still ripping that **** out 20 trs later(class action)
this will be next.

Funny story they are replacing the fiberglass with aluminum,and I heard it eats that too!
Old 04-15-2008, 06:48 AM
Registered

I for one think the government should force the gas companies to post how much if any ethanol is in the gas. Ga. requires nothing and I have absolutely no way of knowing if I am buying ethanol free gas.They also need to make ethanol free gas available if it isn't.

I hope it's not gonna take a bunch of boats blowing up and killing people before something is done.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pachanga
I for one think the government should force the gas companies to post how much if any ethanol is in the gas. Ga. requires nothing and I have absolutely no way of knowing if I am buying ethanol free gas.They also need to make ethanol free gas available if it isn't.

I hope it's not gonna take a bunch of boats blowing up and killing people before something is done.
Are pumps around here say 10% Ethanol ...
Old 04-15-2008, 07:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
Are pumps around here say 10% Ethanol ...
Ours do as well.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Ours do as well.
Here in TN it says that as well. So, will the 10% damage my tanks?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

And think of what is happening to the fuel tanks under ground at the gas stations. If you think that they are not being eaten away by this stuff , b.s. They first said it does not effect new polyester resins that is a crock of sh-t. Have any of you noticed how slow the pumps at the gas station are sometimes. Thats because it is clogging the filters more frequently... With what . you be the judge ..
Old 04-15-2008, 08:58 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

VA (and I assume the opther states as well) require the 10% ethanol stickers on the pumps. Some areas are 100% ethanol and you have no choice unless you drive out of state. If I drive 20-30 minutes outside the city (into rural counties) then they have "regular" non-ethanol fuels in their tanks. I've seen articles about ethanol and it's effect on tanks for 2 years...since it was first reported that ethanol was going to be in our state.
I remember seeing a similar story from a Congressman in CA that had an older boat with fiberglass tanks. His tanks were eaten up...he was pizzed that no one warned him what it would do to his older sport-fisher.

Unfortunately there has been plenty of information (and some mis-information) about ethanol floating around, I don't think this guy has a leg to stand on in his suit regarding the lack of warning.....what's worse is depending on where you live, non-ethanol fuel could be totally un-available.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
VA (and I assume the opther states as well) require the 10% ethanol stickers on the pumps. Some areas are 100% ethanol and you have no choice unless you drive out of state. If I drive 20-30 minutes outside the city (into rural counties) then they have "regular" non-ethanol fuels in their tanks. I've seen articles about ethanol and it's effect on tanks for 2 years...since it was first reported that ethanol was going to be in our state.
I remember seeing a similar story from a Congressman in CA that had an older boat with fiberglass tanks. His tanks were eaten up...he was pizzed that no one warned him what it would do to his older sport-fisher.

Unfortunately there has been plenty of information (and some mis-information) about ethanol floating around, I don't think this guy has a leg to stand on in his suit regarding the lack of warning.....what's worse is depending on where you live, non-ethanol fuel could be totally un-available.
I have heard that it was 2% when it first came out 3-4 yrs ago,it was bad then.Now all states must be 10% ethanol based!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Registered

Talking

Originally Posted by TomFTM
And think of what is happening to the fuel tanks under ground at the gas stations. If you think that they are not being eaten away by this stuff , b.s. They first said it does not effect new polyester resins that is a crock of sh-t. Have any of you noticed how slow the pumps at the gas station are sometimes. Thats because it is clogging the filters more frequently... With what . you be the judge ..
I just had this same conversation this morning,having watched numerous tank installations at gas stations in the new york area they are double walled tanks with an alarm system.Question is are they pumping the gas out so fast the ethanol doesnt have a chance to separate and create the problem? Why has Boat Us not sent out warnings,I mean they claim to be the largest boat activists in the nation right??Why isnt anyone lobbying this situation?

Quick Reply: Boater sues over ethanol-laced gasoline's effect on fiberglass fuel tank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.