If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: #6's ??

Platinum Member Platinum Member GLH's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Burlington, VT
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael1 View Post
    That all depends on the horsepower going in, and the speed with which the drives are turning. There is no one horsepower loss.

What your saying is that if the motor generates 10 HP on the top shaft it will turn the drive with a resulting output of 10 HP at the end shaft.

My bet is with 10 HP it won't turn and the output will be 0HP.

Better throw out your "Basic Fysiks" book by Stecz in the fireplace.

If the motor has more than the minimum HP to turn the drive, your end shaft HP will be diminished approximately the numbers I mentioned above compared to the engine crank, according to what I have read. There might be a gradual grading on the amount of HP it takes to turn the drive at different RPM's but in this case those are just broad reference HP numbers needed to turn the drive.

The only thing that would not loose HP in the transmission of power would be a straight shaft suspended in space.... And even that would have a certain loss due to inertia. Good luck with your thesis, and now get off of Stecz's sailboat.

Man "stecz" has a 'sale' boat oh my gooooodness a "Blow-Boat" ha

My Boats:
    I am Jersey's B!tch
    San Francisco CA
    my sailing would be when i shut the engines down and let the wind take me... im one wit nature....

Manahawkin,NJ/ Orange County,NY
    Stecz = No Boat= Tree Hugger

Quote Originally Posted by byrideroffshore View Post
    Pat Weismann is the father of dry sump drives..his design is a true dry sump top and bottom..Mercury took the design and used it on the top only. the bottom runs in oil.Our drives our from the Victory team from 1980's they work absolutely great.
    most people dont have the patience to do the proper maintenance to keep the running properly. THEY ARE THE BEST!!!!
    Actually, Tom Gentry is the first to dry sump a drive. He dry sumped his SSM#5 Speedmasters back in the day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123