Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ? >

38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ?

Notices

38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ?

Old 03-07-2002, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ?

I am looking for some help in deciding the right boat. I am looking at a Cigarette 38 or Active Thunder 37. All of my my time will be offshore in south Florida. I am looking for a Cigarette 38 conventional bottom with big power, Cigarette 38 step hull with 500EFI, or Active Thunder 37 step hull with 500EFI. All will run 80+. My main concern is ride. Second is holding it's value, and third is cabin amenities. Cigarette is certainly on top with holding it's value, however the cabin amenities on the 2001 and newer models is nonexistent. Open to suggestions.

Thank you for looking, James
Old 03-07-2002, 09:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AT faithful will be here shortly

You will never find better customer service than from Active Thunder-bar none......
Old 03-07-2002, 09:10 PM
GOT MERC?

Cool

Hey Skypirate,
When you say BIG POWER how big.It is always easier and less
expensive and less time consuming to keep Mercury Racing 500 EFI running than high strung powerplants. All the parts are in stock around the country so if you are at a poker run you do not have to worry about finding some off the wall belt or hose.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:12 PM
Registered

Skypirate,

I have a 37 AVH Active Thunder being built right now that should be done in a few weeks. AT has really stepped up to the plate when it come to the cabin. Standard is a leather tech cabin, AC, refridge, microwave, vac u flush head, stainless steel trim, some other real trick items which I can not divuldge yet, amazing hardware inside and out, and a great ride of 86-88mph with 500 efi's. This new boat will be one of the best looking cabins out there on the market today. Go through some of the previous post and see how the AT runs and flys. In 6-8's the boat ran like nothing else, always flying level and landing straight without and creeks and groans. The boat float up on plane without any effort. In my opinion the New AT is the best boat out there for the money. I did not really look into the stepped cigs because they were a bit out of my price range and the cabin ammenities and creature comforts were important to my wife, and like you I felt they were seriously lacking. Gotta keep her happy. I think you are looking at two great boat, I know people have some great things to say about the cigs, the ride in great. Two fantastic offshore machines, but i gotta give the nod to the AT.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:19 PM
EndlessSummer

Dan is right, without a doubt, the Active Thunder is a very nice boat in terms of Quality, and better yet, PERFORMANCE! Just ask them, they'll take you out in most any waters...Just Go For it!

Old 03-07-2002, 09:23 PM
Registered

Endless,

I would also add VALUE to your list.

Where in Jersey do you boat? We gotta hook up this summer and do some of the runs.

Last edited by thunderdan; 03-07-2002 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:26 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I like them both, and am shopping for both, to include a 35-38' Sonic. Wait until you see next month's Powerboat Magazine advertisement on AT. 'Skater' from this board has a very long quote in the ad, which originally appeared here on OSO. Mark House (Skater) will tell you up and down how awesome that AT is. I have not had the op to ride in his yet, but I did tour the AT Factory last month. Watch out Cigarette & Outerlimits!!

The current AT ad in Powerboat with a 37 running from left to right on the top of the ad is Mark in his boat. I was fortunate to meet Steve from AT and recieved the tour from him. Do yourself a favor and go see the place.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thunderdan,

Next time your talking with Pat at AT ask him about Gerry's 32 footer and why when I wanted to up grade to his new 37' he would have nothing to do with my 32 as a trade or broker.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:49 PM
ScreaminDemon

Cigarette is Cigarette, BUT Active Thunder seems to be the boat to own, and with all there new stuff, the value is obvious...i guess a ride will determine which one you feel most comfortable in, rumor has it the 37 AVH rides like nothing else....go for it!

Old 03-07-2002, 10:57 PM
Moon_nites

Cool

Although not from personal experience with either one, I say:

ACTIVE THUNDER (I blame my opinion on Thunderdan)

not to hurt feelings of the CIG owners either becuase they are tremendous boats to!!

Good luck with your choice, I surely would love to be in your place!

Quick Reply: 38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.