Notices

Borax and vinyl

Old 04-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Borax and vinyl

Has anyone ever used borax to clean their vinyl? Read somewhere that is good for stains and mildew.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try mixing a solution of chlorine bleach(20-25%) and water in a spray bottle. I used to have a bad mildew problem when I lived up north with my boats. Mold and mildew over the winter. I tried everything and this worked the best. After cleaning I followed up with a good vinyl treatment and UV protectant. The bleach brings out the color and whites of the vinyl. Just make sure you rinse it good immediately after cleaning. I use this anytime I get mildew on life jackets or outside furniture.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Registered

I don't have a problem with mildew or anything. I just happened to come across an article about borax and baking soda,and was wondering if it would work for cleaning vinyl. I know it's used to help get clothes clean so you don't have to worry about the stitching like you do with bleach. I was just wondering and thought someone here has tried it.

What i like about it is you can make a paste with it to remove stains and its not toxic. Also they said it removes rust stains from stainless,porcelain,ect, thought maybe it would be good for cleaning our hulls.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WD 40 actually works pretty well. Believe or not peanut butter works too on tough stains. It can take ink out of vinyl and leather.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by salesmanship
WD 40 actually works pretty well. Believe or not peanut butter works too on tough stains. It can take ink out of vinyl and leather.
Now how the hell did you learn the PB trick
Old 04-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a sloppy eater?
I read it on some home remedy tips article.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The Borax will take care of any flea infestations, too.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Registered

do NOT use borax or bleach or any other chloride on vinyl
(ie pvc, poly vinyl chloride) as the chloride base of these cleaners will break down the PVC molecule, openin u p the molecular structure where dirt and staining quiclky occurs

it looks awesome and blinding white when first cleaned but you will notice that it stains very quickly again, and a anever ending cycle

I'm just a mechanical engineer but this was told to me by a chemical engineer co worker.

i have had the best luck with 3m vinyl cleaner

Ramb
Old 04-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Magic Eraser !

Try this guys. Magic eraser is the best thing....really try it! You can get it at the local market in the cleaning section. Mild soap a little rub and its bright white again. Amazing
Old 04-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
Try this guys. Magic eraser is the best thing....really try it! You can get it at the local market in the cleaning section. Mild soap a little rub and its bright white again. Amazing
Magic erasers are GREAT. They get out just about anything.

Quick Reply: Borax and vinyl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.