Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT:  More (older) tow vehicle questions >

OT: More (older) tow vehicle questions

Notices

OT: More (older) tow vehicle questions

Old 02-20-2002, 11:19 AM
kook

Default OT: More (older) tow vehicle questions

Looking at some late 80's F150's, F250's, and Broncos. Frist off, what's the major differences between the powertrains? I guess the F250 has the 351W, while the others have the 302.

What are some items I should be on the lookout for, with the vehicles (i.e. what are the weak links, the things that most often go bad, etc..).

Anyone know when they started using fuel injection? The '89 F250 I last looked at had F.I.

Want to tow 6000#, but could be more sometime down the road, not sure at this time - where can I find OEM tow ratings for these older vehicles?

thanks,
Mark
Attached Images  

Old 02-20-2002, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If youre talking 6000 lbs there is no other way than 3/4 tons!! everything is heavy duty...brakes{VERY Important} axles,cooling,springs even the frames are diff!!! Broncos with that kind of weight are an acc. looking for a place to happen!!!!! The weak link? Auto trannys!!!!! be sure to install a cooler @ temp guage on anything you tow with. Heat is what kills em!!!!!
Old 02-20-2002, 12:32 PM
kook

Appreciate the feedback. The tranny had been re-done on the one I was looking at (have not confirmed with receipts yet).

Is there a way to find out (VIN #, codes somewhere on the truck, etc..) exactly what OEM options the vehicle came with? I notice the F250 also came with the big 460 motor (in addition to the 302, 351, and a diesel) - would the tranny, transfer case, etc be the same as was used for the 351 as for the 460? I'm assuming a 460-equipped F-250 would have the most heavy duty OEM components.

What exactly does the OEM "towing package" consist of?

Any links to sites which can provide some detailed info on older F-series trucks?
Attached Images  

Old 02-20-2002, 12:37 PM
diligaf

I currently tow a Baja 232, just over 5,000 lbs, with a 1993 f-150 5.0 V8. The truck does just fine, buts thats about the extent of it,,, anything heavier and I would have to consider a heavier duty larger motored truck.

Something else to consider,,, my truck is a 93, I have taken excellent care of it and have already had frame problems.... The rear spring shackle snapped, luckily it was riveted to the I-beam and I was able to replace it. I am going to replace the class 3 hitch (max 5,000) with a new one, mine has gotten rusted up over the years and its jut not worth the risk... I wouldn't even consider towing that kind of weight with a truck going on over 13 years old..

Old 02-20-2002, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice picture Kook!!!!! You might get lucky and find the build sheet under the seat? the VIN will give you motor @ GVW but that should be on the door pillars or in glove box. I dont know my Fords as well as GMs {Im on my first Ford} GM offoered a heavier duty trans on 3/4 @ 1 tons I dont know about Ford? Transfer cases will be the same on all after you get above 1/2s. Those 460s are brutes!!! lots of torque!! but boy do they like petrol!!!!
Old 02-20-2002, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an 88 Bronco, fuel injected 351. Don't know the trans. number, but it was a bullet-proof 3 speed that required high rpms on the highway. Only got 12 mpg empty, but could pull a stump out of the ground. It did okay tracking with a trailer as long as you did not get in trouble. The short wb allowed it to back well, and it was easy to drive around town.

I think a half ton can easily handle 6000lbs. I pulled that much and more several times with it. But if you are talking frequent long trips, try to get a longer wheelbase than a Bronco. For short trips you should be fine. Do make sure the hitch is in good shape.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:18 PM
kook

99% of the time, the trailering distance will be under 20 miles.

Old 02-20-2002, 02:20 PM
Wild Horses

Gees..... and to think I had been towing my F311 (11,800#) for three years all around Ontario with a 91 Z71 shortbox with highway gears. Guess that's why I needed 5 tranny's in 10 years.

Old 02-20-2002, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kook i think 87 was the main year for FI switch, i know 86 302 had FI but dont think the others did stay away from 351HO with the holley four barrel 86ish what tirds and ttroublesome. 3/4 ton and up i think stayed with the c6 3 speed auto for a while where the 150 switched to overdrive about 86. 3/4 ton 460 with 3 speed auto would make excellent tow rig.if you get auto with overdrive put a big cooler on it and tow in drive only.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:00 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was towing a Formula 302 with my F250 with a 302. Believe it or not it did ok. It was only the real long hills on the highway that killed it. Mine was a 2 wheel drive but pulling out for me was never a problem.

Jon

Quick Reply: OT: More (older) tow vehicle questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.