Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cleaning the engines...any tips?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/185258-cleaning-engines-any-tips.html)

Here's Johnny 04-24-2008 07:16 AM

Cleaning the engines...any tips??

gonna shine up the 575's this week so I thought I would ask if any one has some tips or ideas on how to do it best..... I know you can't hose/soap them down but what do you guys use ?? Wipe down with a towel, swipes wipe, degreaser etc,etc.....

Chris Sunkin 04-24-2008 07:31 AM

Why can't you hose or soap them down? Just don't blast ignitions or carbs.

What you do depends on what's on them. You can use a product called Castrol Degreaser- comes in a purple container, or a product called Purple Stuff. Both clean very well but will soften cheap paint and can be tough on bare aluminum.

Here's Johnny 04-24-2008 07:43 AM

[QUOTE=Chris Sunkin;2536804]Why can't you hose or soap them down? Just don't blast ignitions or carbs.

I shoudn't say can't, but I don't like to hose to much in there.......

FeverMike 04-24-2008 08:03 AM

Simple Green is what I use to use on my HP500. Simple Green cleans and is non-caustic. Then I would spray down the Mercury Corrosion Guard all the unprotected metal and a light mist over electronics.

pkspx 04-24-2008 08:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
this stuff works awesome, afterward I soak everything with CRC 656 to protect, I even use it on the out drive parts.

OldSchool 04-24-2008 08:24 AM

SWIPE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:evilb::D:evilb:

Chris Sunkin 04-24-2008 08:26 AM

[QUOTE=Here's Johnny;2536814]

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2536804)
Why can't you hose or soap them down? Just don't blast ignitions or carbs.

I shoudn't say can't, but I don't like to hose to much in there.......

If the hose is going to cause problems, you're better off finding them on the trailer than on the water. Just don't hammer the distributor or carb. AS mist won't hurt them. If it does, you needed to fix the problem anyway.

Knot 4 Me 04-24-2008 08:34 AM

Simple Green. Aggressive cleaners can attack bare metal parts. I ruined the magnesium valve covers on my '90 Vette using a degreaser (I think it was made by Castrol).

Wardey 04-24-2008 08:42 AM

After I wash the boat I use the left over soap and water and continue washing the engine. I spray it off, flush the bilge, let it dry then spray it down with WD40. Dave

pslonaker 04-24-2008 09:03 AM

If you want your motors to come out looking like the day they were put in...get a couple of gallons of kerosene. Turn on your air supply and get a blow gun with a siphon tube. Put the siphon tube in the kerosene and go to work. The kerosene will cut all the crap and the air will blow it away to drain out. After you finish, then get some good dishwashing soap (I prefer Prell as it has a good degreaser) and soap up the motor to get any residu off that was left by the kerosene. I have been doing this for years and it works perfect and its cheap. Just be prepared to get yourself slightly grundgy.