Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   owner finance (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/185259-owner-finance.html)

johnnyboatman 04-24-2008 09:48 PM

think i will just put it on the market if they want it then they will have to get a loan or a bigger down payment(ALOT BIGGER)

IDRPSTF 04-24-2008 10:19 PM

As a broker I have had many the phone calls from friends saying they sold the boat on there own and they didnt need me as a broker. Many end in the "I carried the note and the buyer isnt paying.. how do I get it back"? Next call... "Its ruined... Im gonna file against the guy"... Next call..."Can you help me find him"?
I have never recieved the "I carried the note for many years and everything went great... we are going for drinks tonight!"

bobkatz 04-25-2008 08:42 AM

You'll lose one of the two - The Cash or the Friend!

cigrocket 04-25-2008 08:48 AM

Bad Idea

lawdocx3 04-25-2008 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 2536838)
Tell them Chinese Financing Only: WON LUMP SUM!

Now thats funny :D

I sold a Baja to a friend a few years back. I financed it for him - to make a long story short, we are not friends anymore AND I got screwed out of about 20k. Don't walk RUN from that deal.

PowerstrokeNC 04-28-2008 07:27 AM

I wouldn't do it, i did this with my brother, it didn't end badly but there were times when it could have easily gone sideways, i would not do it again

X-Rated30 04-28-2008 11:44 AM

POLONIUS' ADVICE TO LAERTES IN "HAMLET":

...Neither a borrower, nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

--William Shakespeare

Now, if you insist on doing it, and I have, over collateralize. Take a mortgage on everything you can to secure the loan, and make sure you get mortgages on property from both owners. Real estate is best. That way both have a bunch to lose and you will be the last person that gets screwed if one goes belly up -- the other guy has a huge interest in making sure you are paid.

Make sure they are both liable for the full amount of the loan, not just their portion. Then make sure you record your security interest to the extent your state allows it. Finally, include an insurance requirement in case something happens to the boat.

If they think you are being greedy by over-collateralizing, tell them it won't matter because they can obviously afford it or they wouldn't be asking a friend to tote the note. How much they give as collateral won't matter since they are going to pay.:cool-smiley-011:

c_deezy 04-28-2008 12:46 PM

Sounds like you are selling them your boat?

Ah hell, either way it doesn't matter, don't do it!

BeakBoater35 04-29-2008 11:00 AM

I have a simple answer when asked to do something like this: "I'm not a bank."