Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Buyers Beware Of Virginia Beach Boat Sales (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/185345-buyers-beware-virginia-beach-boat-sales.html)

NickOTeen 04-30-2008 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 2543149)
I asked the price question - thanks for the answer. $50K for a 94 top gun............... and he just took the guys word for the engine condition. Sorry this has happened, but you get what you pay for.

Uh no. I'm not sure why you are hung up on the price man. I don't care if he paid 20K or 100K, if the engine is suppose to run, then it dam well better run.

getchasum111 04-30-2008 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by DollaBill (Post 2542690)
Him laughing is a little upsetting. Even if he was to come out on top and be right, I wouldn't be sleepin so sound when OSO has it's sights on you, dig? I'm actually doing some research on the whole thing because I can look at it from both sides. Trust me. This isnt my fight at all, but the "laughing with us" comment isn't accurate. I don't think anyone here is laughing at the situation. We may be laughing at the fact that we resort to 4th grade tactics to get someones attention, but thats where it ends.

good point and well said....:cool-smiley-027:

Chris Sunkin 04-30-2008 08:45 AM

It's a shame that every boating event he attends may be the setting for an uncomfortable run-in with folks who know he boned one of our friends. That'll be amusing as hell for him.

carter38 04-30-2008 08:51 AM

Bottom line its not a matter of the price of the boat its the fact that he lied and misrepresented it and then once it gets back here he just want says "FU SO SUE ME" real professional. I deal with boats all the time and want to be respected and respect and honesty goes a long ways in this world.

Chris Sunkin 04-30-2008 08:53 AM

... but you get what you pay for.

That's the point. He didn't. It was represented one way for that price and it was delivered in lesser condition. Had the buyer written a bad check, would that fall under the same "beware" umbrella? How about if the cash envelope was 5 grand light? Or maybe if the buyer waited until the title was signed over and left without tendering payment- would that be the seller's tough luck that he didn't get the money up front? Do boat transactions actually need to be conducted with attorneys for both sides present- or like an old Miami Vice dope deal- under a bridge at night with aluminum briefcases and automatic weapons?

I suppose the old adage applies- "Caveat emptor". Technically it's the buyer's ultimate responsibility to confirm exactly what he's buying. At the same time, if the seller is going to represent the boat one way and deliver it another, he can only expect hard feelings. Is it a bad thing that we band together as a community to voice displeasure at dealings of this type? Would it not be a wonderful world if we knew we all had some layer of protection... a deterrent so to speak- one that comes from being a member here? I think that's going to happen.

RunninHotRacing163.1 04-30-2008 08:55 AM

I asked the price question - thanks for the answer. $50K for a 94 top gun............... and he just took the guys word for the engine condition. Sorry this has happened, but you get what you pay for.

but you get what you pay for ???? So Texoma i sell you a boat the lake is frozen for a water test and i tell you the boat is great just check the oil & add fuel and your fine ...and u find that the motor is locked up and the other is ready to Blow ... If Stacey Bullchitted him to make the sale not right ... Phuch the buyer beware chit sounds like a job for SMITH & WESSON :D:D

masher44 04-30-2008 09:41 AM

You get screwed? and its alright? Please....... :rolleyes:

TexomaPowerboater 04-30-2008 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by NickOTeen (Post 2543158)
Uh no. I'm not sure why you are hung up on the price man. I don't care if he paid 20K or 100K, if the engine is suppose to run, then it dam well better run.

Its called due diligence........ If you pay $50K for a 94 top gun then you should have known something was wrong with it. If you were told that something was wrong with it, which he was, then you should hire a third party to figure out what the cost would be to fix. I was in the same boat last year about this time on a 28 pantera. I was told nothing was wrong with the boat............I spent the money for the survey, and it turned out to be a POS. You don't see me trying to burn the dealers business or the agent. If I didn't check it out and bought it and later found out it was a POS, I would just be pissed at myself for not having it checked out first. So no I don't feel sorry for this guy. IMO he still got a good deal and probobly would have gotten a better deal if he would of had it surveyed like everyone else.

Cash Bar 04-30-2008 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 2543505)
Its called due diligence........ If you pay $50K for a 94 top gun then you should have known something was wrong with it. If you were told that something was wrong with it, which he was, then you should hire a third party to figure out what the cost would be to fix. I was in the same boat last year about this time on a 28 pantera. I was told nothing was wrong with the boat............I spent the money for the survey, and it turned out to be a POS. You don't see me trying to burn the dealers business or the agent. If I didn't check it out and bought it and later found out it was a POS, I would just be pissed at myself for not having it checked out first. So no I don't feel sorry for this guy. IMO he still got a good deal and probobly would have gotten a better deal if he would of had it surveyed like everyone else.

Yeah, that makes the laughing at him part and the telling him "FU sue me" okay. :Whatever:

This POS should feel the wrath of the board same as everyone else that has gone out of their way to piss off the membership. :hitfan:

TexomaPowerboater 04-30-2008 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by masher44 (Post 2543240)
You get screwed? and its alright? Please....... :rolleyes:

You said he was your friend. Why didn't you tell him to get the boat surveyed and the engines checked out? This whole "I'll just take the dealers word for it" is BS. You wouldn't of gone that route.