Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking into a New Business Opinions Please! >

Looking into a New Business Opinions Please!

Notices

Looking into a New Business Opinions Please!

Old 04-22-2008, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into a New Business Opinions Please!

I am looking into a possible franchise related to boating. The Franchise is called Freedom Boat Club. Has anyone ever heard of this or used it themselves. Seems like a very inexpensive way for the average person to enjoy boating..
What do you guys think...

Here is the link...

http://freedomboatclub.com/
Old 04-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like some sort of homo club.. should do well out there, you have fire island and west babalon.... jeffs town.....

good luck
Old 04-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Racer
Racer

Looks interesting. What does it cost to be a member? I would think if you are in a good boating market, it would be a hit. No storage, maintenance, down time or resale head ache. Perfect for the trailer boater.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Registered

Memberships range depending on market. I am estimating roughly around $6000. per year. There was a freedom boat club here on Long Island before they became a franchise operating under a license agreement. They had 300 members with boats in 2 locations. When the company went to a franchise they did not want to pay the franchise fee. Which I can not believe with that kind of cash flow. It is pretty reasonable.
Memberships were priced at $5995. per year.

Last edited by Titan; 04-22-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:20 AM

was involved in one in S. FL. They can be OK. The one where I was had problems of people joining and oops the boats ended up in the Bahamas, with a "Boat Load of Hatians" in NY you shouldn't have that problem. Be prepared every sat and sun to go tow someone in especially after hours.

It is a good way for people getting into boating to see if they are ready for the commitment.

WILL

WILL
Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Registered

I was thinking that would be a problem with inexpierenced boaters. Guess I will not be putting any Herring Props on these boats. Aluminum ****ters is what they will be getting. Sort of like throw away paint brushes....

How was your expierence with using the clubs away from your home port. Did you find it was worth traveling and using the benefits on vacations??

Seems to me it would be a big selling point for members to be able to travel to different ports and be able to go boating..
Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by stecz20
sounds like some sort of homo club.. should do well out there, you have fire island and west babalon.... jeffs town.....

good luck
LMFAO!!! Send me a "My Peeps" application please!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Registered

My old boss is a member of a boat club just like that one here in Jacksonville. He loves it. About $270 per month (in addition to like a $600 up front fee to join the club), and he can take out 1 of about 12 boats. Typically not a problem getting one reserved. I've been out a bunch of times. The boats are all bought used to save the operator a bunch of money. They assume they'll be some idiots out there, who'll crash 'em. They give them a lot of help around the docks.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Registered

Looks to me like they would carry the same reputation as a timeshare. They are definately vague about things on their websight. I guess it would all boil down to who many boats are available vs. how many active members. If there are enough boats to satisfy the membership, and the boats are used everyday...I don't see how it could be profitable!
Old 04-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Registered

I looked at the one in LI a few years ago.(not franchise as a member) I posted some questions on a Cruiser forum and did get some feedback...not very positive. One of the bigger complaints was boat availability. Guys researved them with plenty of advance which gave other members plenty of time to crash them and take them out of service.
Insurance has to be heavy too I would think.

Quick Reply: Looking into a New Business Opinions Please!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.