Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
On board at 170mph w/"Risky Buisness" @ Desert Storm... >

On board at 170mph w/"Risky Buisness" @ Desert Storm...

Notices

On board at 170mph w/"Risky Buisness" @ Desert Storm...

Old 04-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by kgshooty
The facts have now been disclosed, and really the only thing that is important is to just learn from mistakes and hopefully the organizers will limit the event to just non race boats and that safety next year will be of higher priority. More stringent rules and a reasonable speed limit considering how narrow the waterway is and that you have both running those high speeds in each direction, nobody is saying to do away with these runs, just control them so this great sport does'nt get killed by the fed's. Those boats are awesome and it does'nt take running dangerously at wot to get noticed and have something to be proud of, everyone knows they are big money and fast just by looking.
Huh?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

The facts have now been disclosed, and really the only thing that is important is to just learn from mistakes and hopefully the organizers will limit the event to just non race boats and that safety next year will be of higher priority. More stringent rules and a reasonable speed limit considering how narrow the waterway is and that you have both running those high speeds in each direction, nobody is saying to do away with these runs, just control them so this great sport does'nt get killed by the fed's. Those boats are awesome and it does'nt take running dangerously at wot to get noticed and have something to be proud of, everyone knows they are big money and fast just by looking.
What facts have been disclosed that weren't before?
What mistakes have been made??
There is talk of limiting participants to non-race teams but that wont change the fact there are many boats that participate that run well over 150 mph.
"Running dangerously at WOT"?? When did this happen? I think if nothing else the video CLEARLY shows the fact the drivers are watching out for other boaters and aware of their surrounding even when someone is behind them.
"Everyone knows they are big money and fast just by looking"?? Yea, lets just put them on the trailers next to the trailered exotic cars and never run them...WTF??

Heres some facts I'll disclose for you:

6 rescue divers in the air and on the water.
26 safety boats
Numberous police, sheriff, fire, coast guard and fish and game boats monitoring the course.
Rules on how to proceed down the lake and to not pass the pace boat until a certain point. insuring all drivers are aware of speed limited areas for the poker run.
mandatory drivers meeting
mandatory insurance verification
mandatory passenger restrictions
mandatory life vests for participants

Here's some more facts:

The mayor of Lake Havasu city and the board of supervisors were thrilled with the event (seeing as the event most likely brought in 5-10million in revinue for the city).
The 20 thousand dollars that were raised for various charities were thrilled with the poker run.
Besides minor hic-ups, all involved were thrilled with the poker run including poker run participants, shootout participants and OSS/POPRA racers.

Permits are already being pulled and plans are in the works for next years event.

Those that violated the speed limits and/or pace boat restrictions will be delt with. Let's leave it at that.

Dude, do the sport a favor and keep your un-informed opinions to youself.

Last edited by thisistank; 04-30-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Registered

Thanks Tank!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered

Default Poker Run

I was in Group B and towards the back. We all where running in the 90 to 140 MPH range to the first card stop. Our boat is the one on the Port side shown during the last 10 seconds of the video. Everybody around me was being very smart and keeping their line and slowing enough to be smart around some of the cove areas and turns in the lake. There was even enough room during one stretch to do some passing. The Group A boats coming back the other direction was a non issue. There wasn't even that many coming back under full power. I thought the event was very well run. After the first card stop it was just like running at that Lake any other weekend day. You have to watch out and drive smart.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Registered

Default Poker Run

Except for one idiot in an Eliminator Spectator boat running to my Port trying to keep up with all of us in the area close to Copper Canyon. He wasn't leaving me any room at all and was running close to 100 at one point. Wish I could have gotten him on film. That was the only raised voice any of my crew or I used all weekend.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Registered

Default Poker Run

Wrong Video. Not this one but another one I have seen on You Tube.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by bripar77
Except for one idiot in an Eliminator Spectator boat running to my Port trying to keep up with all of us in the area close to Copper Canyon. He wasn't leaving me any room at all and was running close to 100 at one point. Wish I could have gotten him on film. That was the only raised voice any of my crew or I used all weekend.
This is the EXACT topic Matt Trulio wrote about last year in Powerboat Magazine. Some gave him flack because they felt he was attacking spectators as a group. It isn't the spectators that's the problem, matter of fact the spectators are welcomed, it's these idiots that do exactly what you've posted.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Registered

Jees. This guy is assuming that the people who can afford these boats is either careless or irresponsible. Most of these guys didn't start out in a 150mph cat. Must be a Democrat...just wants to impose rules or regulations where none is needed. (Probably a blow boater in disguise.)
Old 05-01-2008, 12:45 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Tank, thanks for sharing the video. Great to hear the audible and hear how drivers are careful at speeds and concerned about the watercrafts around them.

Just amazes me about how much work people put into these events to make sure that everyone arrives safely back to the dock, and everything goes as smoothly as planned. Then when someone posts a good vid for everyone else to enjoy, there's ALWAYS gotta be someone around to throw stones at what was posted, and look at what has been done in a very negative way. Pretty phuckin sad, I think. Probably the same people that have to stop and gauk at a horrible traffic accident.

Anyway, great job, and thanks again for sharing it with us.

Frank
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 05-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice hard running video, great water running a rock solid boat ,looks like they had a blast.

The guys seem to be on top of it, driver, throttle man well aware of their surroundings their rig and the water way .

At this level I believe that all participants are well aware of the possible dangers attributed to running at these speeds and are farther a part than the video portrays. .

Thanks for sharing your video I enjoyed it!

Quick Reply: On board at 170mph w/"Risky Buisness" @ Desert Storm...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.