Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   XM Radio Garmin (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/185666-xm-radio-garmin.html)

Kims 04-30-2008 12:41 AM

XM Radio Garmin

I just installed a Garmin 3206C that got it all, including XM weather and radio. I thought you could listen to some samples before activating it but right now my stereo deck doesn't even notice it is there. Is the XM unit set up so that you can listen to a sample? OR is my wiring messed up and I have to rewire the unit to deck? The deck is set up to be able to receive the XM audio signals. I am not activating until I know it will work and all help is highly appreciated.

bgchuby01 04-30-2008 02:27 AM

until you activate the XM you should be able to get the emergency channel and channel 1 which is the preveiw channel

Kims 04-30-2008 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by bgchuby01 (Post 2543007)
until you activate the XM you should be able to get the emergency channel and channel 1 which is the preveiw channel

Thank you, that's what I thought. Guess we are checking wiring / deck tomorrow.

Audiofn 04-30-2008 06:11 AM

Get into the service menu and look for signal strength.

Jon

Kims 05-01-2008 02:03 AM

Well, as I thought, the XM is working fine and sending out a preview. I replaced a new Pioneer head unit with a DEH-6800 to get the ability to hook up an AUX. The Pioneer manual says select AUX but there is no AUX to be selected. It will not show unless there is signal and there is signal into the adapter. The only two things it could be is a defective head unit or a defective bus adapter. Any takers?

Audiofn 05-01-2008 05:47 AM

Get your ipod or something like that and plug it into the AUX input. If that works it is the Garmin if not then you have to look at the stereo. I am not buying that the AUX input needs a signal to work. You may have to activate it to get it on.

Jon

The Menace 05-01-2008 12:05 PM

Sign up and have the service activated. My cost for the weather and XM is about $57.00 a month. I have the Garmin 496C which is portable and primarily designed for aviation however I use it in the truck as well.

The real time weather is a great feature.

Griswald 05-01-2008 12:07 PM

Wait 'til you hear the sound of the American Woodcock? :musik010:

rmp459 05-01-2008 12:30 PM

I have a kenwood head unit and I know the Aux and CD Changer are the same button and you have to hit CD Chngr and wait for the head unit the realize there is a signal coming out of the garmin and it will switch over to Aux. I had a Garmin 3006 and just traded up to the 5000 series... same thing..

Kims 05-01-2008 01:38 PM

Solved it this morning. The problem was in the setup of the Pioneer deck. You actually have to go in and program it to accept AUX1 (iPod inlet) and AUX2. I used the XM weather for flying and it is far better than anything we have in any commercial aircraft (I fly B-767), however, until the house sells I am stuck in Las Vegas and I don't need XM weather to tell me hot and windy. I signed up for the audio part and will sign up for the full weather once I get out of here.