Notices

Western diesel chips ,Update .........

Old 02-21-2002, 03:26 PM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up EGT's

Neverfastenuf,
I have the Western chip installed with no other mods. My EGT guage has never gone above 800 degrees and I'm pulling 10k pounds. Boost can go as high as 26 pounds, tranny temps as high as 170 degrees. All this while I'm towing.

Normal operation EGT temps are between 500 and 600 degrees, and tranny temps at around 100 degrees.

Mileage with overdrive turned off, 70mph, is 12.5mpg while towing 10,000 pounds.

Truck is a 2000 Dodge quad cab, 3/4 ton, 4x4, automatic. 5.9 litre diesel.

I like the chip very much

Last edited by LakeRacer; 02-21-2002 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2002, 04:14 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Joe the reason I asked is we have "chipped, modified" probably 250-300PSDs, and just did 2 02 PSDs for a comparison, one with the Western chip, box and exhaust, the other with the ATS chip and exhaust. Both had K&N filters. Both equipped with pyrometer, boost gauge and trans temp gauge (the stock Ford trans temp gauge is a JOKE). The pyro thermo couple was installed in the bottom of the exhaust manifold on the drivers side rear. The EGTs on both were very close in the performance mode when heavy footing it(1500-1600degrees). Be very careful as you will create problems in the performance mode if someone keeps the hammer down. Educate your customers on the do's and dont's of pulling heavy loads and tell them to watch the pyro very closely when in the hot rod mode. The RV\TOW mode doesn't create enough EGTs to really worry about. Both trucks performed about the same with the ATS chip being slightly faster in the HOT ROD mode while the Western chip was a little healthier in the RV\TOW mode. I believe these 2 manufacturers are the best available and they are too close to call which is better in my 02. Bottom line is the trucks are really amazing when "chipped" and when you really want that "little" extra, install the propane!!! WOW!!!
Old 02-21-2002, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey lakeracer , Thanks for the input !!
THats what I like is real world experience ! Not this guy said that and that guys claims it does this. We want hard core facts !
Old 02-26-2002, 09:26 AM
Registered

Default Mileage update

THought you guys might want to know .

I installed the wetern diesel pro shot system.
3 stage chip , ram air system, & 4" stainless exhaust , on my 2002 ford 350 4x4 crew cab single rear wheel , 6 speed , 3.73 gears .
I went to NY and back to NJ 530 miles .(Just the truck ,no trailer )Running between 77-83 mph .(Yes ,I was in a hurry and showed it no mercy and tore up several other trucks that wanted to play !) THe chip set on 'HIGH' power . I got 18 mpg !!! Not bad for a power stroke with about 430 hp and 920 ftlbs torque !! I don't have the gauges in yet so I have no info there .

Next test is set in economy mode . I don't know if I'll like that though .......... It's 'ONLY' about 375hp and around 750ft lbs torque !! I will let you all know the results !
Old 02-26-2002, 10:17 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

How do you measure the fuel milage? The computer or the old fashioned way?
Old 02-26-2002, 10:30 AM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

My computer on my Dodge seems to be pretty accurate whenever I have compared it doing the old fashion way.

Mileage on the highway without the chip was around 18mpg doing 75-80mph.

With the chip the mileage went up to 20-21mpg.
Attached Thumbnails Western diesel chips ,Update .........-dscn0851a.jpg  
Old 02-26-2002, 10:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The computer o the Fords seem to ready 3-4 mpg better. Maybe they changed it with the '02'.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:52 PM
Registered

katdvr , I check it the real way ! The computer tells you a little different .

Neverfastenuf , I hear alot about the propane ,but what about tunnels and some cities ,you can not have a propane bottle . You'll go to prison if you get caught in a tunnel with it . Any info on that ? And you said you put the sensor for the pyro "in " the manifold ? Everyone seams to say something different on that . Western says it goes in the pipe just out side the manifold . My ATS kit for an older truck with no turbo told me it goes way down at the 'Y' pipe . And the banks I had ,said it goes after the turbo ?

I don't get it . Who the hell is right ??
We had a similar topic about pyro's on boats a while back .The 'experts' said it can't be that close to the head .It needs to be in the pipe .

I'm confused ??
Old 02-27-2002, 07:12 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Boot, the propane question, I can not elaborate very much on this. I do not know if there are any restrictions. I would doubt there would be an issue, if there was every trailer and camper with a propane bottle on it would be illegal, wouldn't it???? I know here in Colorado we have a tunnel on top of Loveland Pass that is over a mile long and there are no restrictions. The thermal couple postioning is left to the discretion of the installer and as long as you know what baseline you have to compare it to, it is of no consequence where it is mounted. At the exhaust manifold you are getting the most extreme temp reading and many test baselines are run with this configuration. Who's right and who's wrong???? I don't believe there is a right or wrong in this situation. Hope sales are going well, it's cool to hear you're selling a bunch. I think the best thing about the installation is after the techs finish the job "I" get to test drive the trucks!!
Old 02-27-2002, 07:53 PM
Registered

I have done a lot of research on "chipping", EGT, etc. on Ford Diesels. EGT must be taken "pre-turbo". I have mine in the pipe between the manifold and Y pipe on the driver's side. It was easy to remove this pipe, drill and install the sensor, and re-assemble. It could be done on the truck but you don't want metal shavings going through the turbo. EGT should NEVER be allowed to exceed 1300 degrees. The weak link in the system are the turbo blades. They will break if the temp is allowed to go to high (They glow white hot). I know, I've done it. Also, the mileage computer does not read correct with a chip. My MPG stayed about the same, but hey, with more power that's good enough. I have an F-350 DRW with 4.11 gears. The best I have ever got was 15 mpg (Highway). I average 12-13 (Around town) and towing drops to 9 mpg (Highway). I keep track of every tank. Oh yea, the engine is at it's peak efficiency at 600 degrees EGT.

Quick Reply: Western diesel chips ,Update .........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.