Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Western diesel chips ,Update ......... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/18568-western-diesel-chips-update.html)

laster 02-27-2002 08:29 PM

Lake Racer - what year is your truck? 12 valve or 24? What mods did you do besides just a chip? I have a 99 24V and I would love to get 10 - 15% better mileage. Highway now is about 18 same as you. Need to know more. Thanks.

Larry

boot 02-27-2002 10:10 PM

Neverfastenuf, sounds like you got the cool job ! Just drive em . If they don't work right ,take it back and tell someelse to fix it :D .
Maybe some tunnels don't prohibit the bottles ,you maybe right . But I know of many that do . MAybe not all . THey are very clearly marked ,those that do prohibit it . I have also seen in several large cities I've gone through where it's posted ,you must take the bypass when carrying this type of tank or cylinders . What about Nitrous oxide ? I've used it before on diesels . AT least the NOS isn't explosive . :eek: WHat type of power gain do you get with propane system . I have info here on it ,but it has no horse power #'s.

But like you said before . SOme of these engine systems push the limits . I don't think I would recomend installing the propane on top of a chipped motor . I have seen people putting 500-550 hp on the ground out of their power stroke or dodge ram ! Man , Something has to give somewhere ! In my own opinion ,I think that making 1 horse power per cubic inch should be well with in the safe range of an engine . However diesels do make extreme amounts of torque .

innthered, Do you do this research professionaly or just a hole lot of personal experience ? The Ford duallies lack a little on the mileage .THey have low profile tires and low 4.10 gears .that really herts them . I had a 1999 crew cab dually and a 1999 crew cab single wheel . The dually got exactly 3 mpg less in every way . MY 2000 single wheel crew cab (stock)gets about 11 mpg at 75mph ,towing my boat ,and I'm grossing almost 26,000lbs and I'm 12' wide !

26scarab 02-27-2002 10:27 PM

Boot,
I have a couple of questions. I'm thinking about installing a chip on my 2001 Cummins.
I was going to go with the TST products, I guess the owner is a retired Cummins engineer.
There stage one kit claims 50HP and 160ft/lbs of torque. I have an auto so I can't get to crazy. That is has been tested on a dyno (supposedly)
With no other mods, He even tells the customers why waste your money on exhaust and other things,unless you want to get real crazy with the power then you need to change the turbo housing.
Well that kit is $550.
Can you tell me how the Western kit compares ? Price ,power ,etc.
I would rather help a fellow OSO guy !:D

boot 02-27-2002 10:59 PM

26scarab , I have seen very little of the tst system . It was brought to my attension by a fellow OSOer in my area that dropped in to show it to me on his dodge . He said he like it .His was a little more on the radical side then you are looking for . His was also adjustable in about 9 different ways . which didn't dawn on me till he left . How could you make these choices yourself of adjustment to your timing , fuel flow rate , boost ,etc .? It seams to me it would be much better for the computer to make that choice itself since it has the sensors to help it .

Anyway , Western diesel makes a chip for your truck . The standard one is 65 hp and 188 ft lbs torque . It will increase 1-2 mpg. How ever , air intake and exhaust upgrades make for a more efficient system . I would say to use a high flow air filter at the least . Your exhaust could be opened up in several ways . Do you have a catalitic converter ? If so ,loose it ! Put a stainless pipe in place of it . I have them if you need it . Add a high flow muffler ,stainless of course ! I have these too . About $160. A nice pollished stainless 4" tip dosen't make it run better but sure looks cool ! Or just go with the Western diesel exhaust .Retails for $1150 from the turbo back . This chip may be able to be programmed for more or less power if you want. I would have to run your codes to see . It is a good idea to install gauges to keep an eye on the trans temp ,exhaust temp, and the boost gauge is just cool to watch rapp around ! The chip retails for dodge $650.Gauges are 180 for exhaust temp ,60 for trans , and 50 for boost . Window post gauge mount is $70 plus paint to match your interior . I am offering great deals to OSOer's . I can't sell bellow retail but I can give something for FREE ! Free shipping ,and your choice of a gauge and /or mount or something to make it worth your while . E-mail me personaly at

[email protected] Tell me what you realy want and I'll give it to you straight !;) THanks ,JOE

LakeRacer 02-27-2002 11:37 PM

Laster,
I have a 2000 Dodge 24V diesel. 4x4, quad cab, auto trans. Can't remember the gear ration.

I tow a 34 Advantage Offshore. With trailer I'm guesstimating 10,000 lbs.

Before the chip performance was great. Especially when compared to the big block that I had. It had a nice steady pull but when I hit the hills it bogged down to about 40mph. Even with a running start. I still liked it because the mileage was around 10.5 - 11 mpg's at around 75 mph. I was very happy until I drove my friends Excursion that had a performance chip installed along with the guage post/pod on the windshield pillar. I almost smoked the tires off the line! Well that convinced me I needed an upgrade. But I didn't want to be replacing my auto tranny so I opted for a basic upgrade. Enter Western Diesel.

After installing the chip and the guages I was very impressed. My first tow with the new equipment was from Phoenix to Lake Mead/Vegas. The same hills that I bogged down on I could maintain 55mph with no running start. In fact, I could punch it at that speed and start to feel it pull and go a little faster. Pulling off the line with the boat in tow, I have to be careful not to break the tires loose with too much power. The difference is night and day.

Tranny temp (correction) 150 degrees not towing, 180-190 degrees towing (depending on hills).

EGT exhaust temps, 500-600 degrees no towing around town driving, never more than 800 degrees towing.

Boost Guage (the fun part) between 0-10 lbs everyday driving, while towing all the way up to 25-26lbs of boost.

Mileage is 12.5 mpg doing 70mph and overdrive turned off. Even though the freeways here are 75mph, I drive 70. The difference in fuel consumption is worth it and I don't arrive that much later. If you have any other questions just email me.

boot 02-28-2002 01:29 AM

Hey lake racer , How many rpm's you runnig at 70-75 mph without overdrive ?

laster 02-28-2002 04:52 PM

Thanks Lake Racer. Just the kind of info I was looking for. I am only towing 4500 - 5000lbs. at present but you can never have too much power.:D That's why the pedal on the right is not just an on off switch. The mileage is a bonus that I can really appreciate. Unfortunately, mods to the truck will have to wait a bit as I want to install my Whipple on the boat first. More opportunities to USE the power in the boat. Thanks again.

Larry

Neverfastenuf 02-28-2002 07:26 PM

Boot, the HP increase with the propane is dependant on the % of product introduced into the system. Different orifices, like NOS, can be installed with different HP results being gained. Usually a 25-30% mixture is ideal. The HP gain is also contingent on the trucks mods, chip etc. A 70 HP chip with this propane injection will usually result in approx. 25-30% gain being seen. It is very, very impressive. We have "played" with different %s of propane and the results varied. This % seems to be the best for most applications, although some "crazies" out there have gone as high as 60%+ and talk about impressive(clattered like crazy though, I wouldn't do it myself).

FAST ENOUGH 02-28-2002 08:17 PM

Hello fellow Dodge Ram Cummins brothers. A good place to go for BOMBING (BOMB)= (BETTER OFF MODIFIED BABY) your Cummins is http://turbodieselregister.com/
I have learned alot from that site. And have put some goodies on my Truck. Mine is a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Reg Cab 4x4 Cummins, Auto, 3.54 gears. Upgrades are ,Lost the muffler, KN Air Filter, Edge Products EZ Box (Edgeproducts.com), Disabled Turbo Wastegate, DDII's Stage 2 injectors. (http://www.dieseldynamics.com/). Increased line pressure in Trans. (Temp fix until I melt it down and put in a DTT Trans( www.dieseltrans.com) If you add up all the supposed HP and Torque upgrades. I should be somewhere at 380HP and 795 lbs torque. But I have not had it Dyno'ed. I could be way off.
:confused: :D If you cant tell I love my Cummins:) :) Sorry I forgot to add that I also have a EGT Guage and Boost Guage. Under hard accel I push 32lbs of boost. And get about 21 mpg all the time.

LakeRacer 02-28-2002 09:59 PM

Originally posted by boot
Hey lake racer , How many rpm's you runnig at 70-75 mph without overdrive ?
If I remember right, close to 3000rpm. It starts to get up there and that's why I stay at around 70-75