Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What does it take to remove and replace 502's? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/185726-what-does-take-remove-replace-502s.html)

rjr 04-30-2008 03:53 PM

What does it take to remove and replace 502's?

My surveyor missed a crack under the motors so they have to come out. I am hearing 3 - 4 days to remove and then replace. Is that reasonable?

DMAX 04-30-2008 04:29 PM

You should be able to pull em out in a day. Far as puting back in , I have'nt got that far yet. Make sure you label everything and take pics.

Chris Sunkin 04-30-2008 05:15 PM

When I dragged the Cig back from Florida in November, I went down a couple days later to winterize it. I crawled in the bilge and basically saif "F-it" and yanked the motors. Took 3.5 hours, not counting bolting them to stands and stashing them in the shop. And I'm old.

Suggestions- take lots and lots of digital pics and either put the hardware back into the holes it came out of, tie wrap it to the part or stash it Ziploc freezer bags with the little white labels on the front.

bouyhunter 04-30-2008 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2543783)

Suggestions- take lots and lots of digital pics and either put the hardware back into the holes it came out of, tie wrap it to the part or stash it Ziploc freezer bags with the little white labels on the front.

I'm in the process of sorting through everything in the garage looking for where parts landed over the course of the winter.
Shoulda wrote something on that white label, huh??:D

Actually, I did, but in the process of pulling parts out to clean/paint/whatever, I put myself back in a mess.

AIR TIME 04-30-2008 05:36 PM

8 hours in and out. it takes me about 2 hours if that.

bouyhunter 04-30-2008 05:43 PM

The guys that have been working on mine (ITTLFLI and his Dad) had my single motor out in about 1-1/2. And broken down to bare block and cleaned out in another 3-4.
But watching these guys work at it was like watching a NASCAR pit crew do a tire change.

GO4BROKE 04-30-2008 06:03 PM

Easy job. Just take your time. Many shops will charge 8 hours round trip. Thats what I charged when I ran a marine shop.

excursion 04-30-2008 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is easy you also need one of these.......... take your time since you have never done it before.

t500hps 04-30-2008 07:21 PM

Yep.....Last summer I lost all oil pressure and after some testing we figured the oil pickup tube must have broken off. 3 of us started at 8:30 working on a twin engine boat. We pulled the Hyd. steering, drive, engine hatch, exhaust, engine and stripped accessories to get the oil pan off. Found a broken oil pickup tube and went and bought another one. Welded it back to the pump, put the motor back together, re-installed the engine, exhaust, hatch, drive, and steering. Test fired the motor, set the timing and made sure everything was running perfect.
Since the guys helped me get all that done I took them to lunch when we were completely finished....we sat down at the restaurant at 1:00 (just 4.5 hours later!!!!)

Our group has worked together a number of times and have lifts like the one excursion just posted (I've pulled my engines using his lift too). Unfortunately we don't even need to look at the bolts to know what size wrench is needed for each bolt.

jryan26 04-30-2008 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by excursion (Post 2543900)
It is easy you also need one of these.......... take your time since you have never done it before.

And it sometimes helps to take pics of how it all goes back together.