Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New sound system for my Top Gun. Advice ? >

New sound system for my Top Gun. Advice ?

Notices

New sound system for my Top Gun. Advice ?

Old 05-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's going to be hell of a stereo setup! Great Combo, but IMO, I would try to do marine amps as well.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pkspx
That's going to be hell of a stereo setup! Great Combo, but IMO, I would try to do marine amps as well.

You are not going to get the same quality as an Alpine PDX in a marine amp. If you located the amps in an are that does not get any direct exposure to water you will be fine. I have never used marine amps in any of my boats and I have not had a problem.

The Polk-Momo's I have are marine rated though because they are exposed. My.02
Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Registered

You definitely have the speakers right however, I would also go with JL amps. I installed this same system and have friends that have done the same. The amps are powerful and the sound is very clean - easy to hear that they were meant to be married together

Also, the 7.7's as quoted are $100 too much. You can get these online at $299 all day....

Last edited by Ca$hed Out; 05-01-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie B.
Craig - thanks, I just checked it. Nice work.
Thanks buddy. I ended up just using two of the 6.5" kickers in the side panels (by the bolsters) and putting 2 10" Babbs in the bottom front of the rear seat (one on either side of the battery switch panel). The JL (non-marine) amp is fine. I think that the smartest thing that I did was hooking up the 4 cabin speakers to the head unit and running the 4 cockpit speakers off of the 4 channel amp. I installed a switch on the dash to turn on the amp, so when we are in the stabbin cabin we can turn off the cockpit speakers and amp....a real battery saver!
Old 05-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ca$hed Out
You definitely have the speakers right however, I would also go with JL amps. I installed this same system and have friends that have done the same. The amps are powerful and the sound is very clean - easy to hear that they were meant to be married together

Also, the 7.7's as quoted are $100 too much. You can get these online at $299 all day....
I will put the PDX's up against the JL's anyday, If you really want high end go with the Zapco competition series if money is not a problem.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:53 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie B.
Bob - thanks, I might want his info. I'll let you know.
p.s. he got Denis (Obnoxus) all of his stuff he went with Memphis Audio...more power more speakers and my JL stuff still kicks his azz....but he did stay the night at a Holiday Inn Express.....BZ
Old 05-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Stereo System

Jamie,

Your getting your head RIPPED off. I will install a MB Quartz "marine" system in your boat that will rock your world for 3K. I have 4-5 systems in boats that we have recently done for customers in our showroom right now if you want to hear the different systems. We have a 5K system but yoru boat does not have enough room for all the components that you can lsiten to as well. Our installer does the MB Quartz cars for sima, so I would have to say he's pretty damm good.

Scott Shogren
Call me on my cell if you want to discuss.

Last edited by TeamShogren.com; 05-02-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:53 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jamie, you just heard it from the "horses" mouth. Give Scott a call, I really doubt you'll regret it. He did'nt steer you wrong on the boat, I think he knows his stereo chit too.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 05-03-2008, 02:14 AM
Registered

Not that I am a pro or anything, but I had a blind stepdad that thought me a thing or two about sound systems (he used one to navigate through his house and could run through it without running into anything...) I ripped my JBL MB Quartz apeakers out of my boat and replaced them with fossgates marine in the front and Pioneer marine in the back, I also mounted two BOSS subs in the sides. All these are hooked up to three amps as the sub got one each and the 12 others got their power from an Alpine. The sound is incredible, without any distortion, and loud enough so I have to leave the boat when I turn it all the way up. I have mounted the amps on an aluminum plate and it keeps them cool as well as looking good. The $1800,- for mounting is not out of control expensive if they have to do a lot of fabrication and make you matching panels that can take the marine environment (particle boards just dont cut it..). I would listen very carefully to Mr. Shogren as well as try out some Bose marine speakers. Bose makes a lot of high quality sound for a little space compared to some so called high tech systems that was developed for cars. If you ever visit Vegas, I would be more than happy to give you a test of mine so that you have something to compare to. best of luck with it and make sure you test before you buy!

Kim !
Old 05-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Registered

Default My quote...any thoughts?

Here is my quote for Mistress including hook up and installation of flat screen and dvd and GPS addition of 2 batteries (total of 4)...thoughts or concerns from the audience?:

1- JL Audio M10IB5 10" Woofer - $160.00
1- JL Audio M4300 4-channel Amp - $240.00
1- JL Audio M1400 Monoblock Amp - $280.00
2pr- JL Audio M650 6.5" Coax Marine Speakers - $200.00/pr - $400.00
1pr- JL Audio M770 7.7" Coax Marine Speakers - $240.00
1- Alpine iDA-X100M Marine Media Receiver - $350.00
1- Alpine MC1 Wired Remote for Receiver - $150.00
1- Alpine KCA-SC100 Sirius Tuner for Alpine Radio - $70.00
1- Sirius SC-C1 Universal Sirius Controller - $70.00
1- Alpine KCA-420i IPOD Adapter for Receivers - $40.00
1- Alpine RUE-M1RF RF Remote for Marine Receivers - $100.00

2- Deep Cycle Batteries - Approx. $300.00
Approx. $350.00 in Misc materials ( starboard / stainless materials / wire / etc. )

Labor - $1850.00 (includes hook up of GPS system, running power wires for TV and DVD, and installation of aux batteries)

As we went over at the marina, we will use the sub in the right rear of the boat and use the existing placement for the new JL coax speakers. We will put an a/b switcher on the speakers in the cuddy to turn them off when the kids are watching tv.

The only issues i believe we will have to address when the boat is down here would be checking the size of the power inverter in the boat and making sure it has enough juice to power the tv, and a Playstation 3 and whatever you decide to plug in. Also the support for the drivers seat may hinder our placement of the front speaker. but those are not huge deals and we will be able to work around them.

Quick Reply: New sound system for my Top Gun. Advice ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.