If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    2001 Superboat Y2K
    N. NJ, Eastern LI

Just repaired deep stress cracks, do I paint or gel kote?

Boat is a 1990 Sonic 30ss. I have had the boat for 1 season. I had some large stress cracks where the flat walkaround curved up to the side of the deck (see pic below), mid ship on both sides. These cracks are long and deep. I ground the gel coat down to the fiberglass and found that the fiberglass was cracked as well, separating. Is this delamination? I ground this down to solid fiberglass. I then filled it back in with strips of fiberglass, about 3-4 layers depending how deep with slow cure epoxy. This was sanded then I filled the remainder with fiberglass bondo and sanded smooth and level. There has been prior work done on this boat. I cannot tell if it had been painted or gel coated. My question is should I paint it or gel coat over the repair area. I do have a compressor and touch-up spraygun. If paint is my best option I wouldn't mind doing the work myself but will need more advice. I also have access inside the boat behind the repaired area. I will re-enforce with glass to help strengthen area.

Attached Images Attached Images

Ken-looks like we're back to boat talk ...anyways after filling the cracked fiberglass, i would go back and re-gelcoat the finished area. You can get a getcoat kit for about $20 with dye of different colors to match the original area. The kit has everything you need to complete the job with that "professional look". Good luck.

My .02

Platinum Member Platinum Member timewarp's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2002 Spectre 30,300X's

Definitly reinforce the area behind or the cracks will reapear very soon.
    I would use gel coat, you can still spray it with your touch up gun.

Here's some good information,

Hope this helps,