Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fisherman's 6-Pound Bait Yields 500-Pound Shark (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/185847-fishermans-6-pound-bait-yields-500-pound-shark.html)

Wardey 05-02-2008 12:49 PM

Fisherman's 6-Pound Bait Yields 500-Pound Shark

1 Attachment(s)
This shark was basicly caught in my back yard !!! Dave

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/may...?news-breaking

TAMPA - There's nothing like fishing at night and reeling in a real live monster.

That's what happened when David Humphress yanked a 10-foot-6-inch hammerhead shark out of the Gulf of Mexico. Other Side Charters boat Capt. Daniel Long measured the girth and estimated the weight of the beast at just over 500 pounds.

When the shark surfaced next to the boat, the three paying fishermen were taken aback, Long said.

"Pretty much everybody in the boat went to the other side, except for me and the other captain," Long said.

On the night of April 24, the Other Side Charters boat was cruising along the north side of Honeymoon Island and had landed a couple of black tip sharks, both under 3 feet, he said.

The anglers were fishing specifically for sharks, he said. Bait was a bonita that itself measured more than 2 feet long and weighed 6 pounds, Long said.

About 8:30 p.m., in about 7 feet of water and less than 100 yards from the beach, the hit came.

"We knew it was big," he said. "We didn't know how big."

It took an hour or so to land the massive predator on 60-pound monofilament line and a 10-foot wire leader, he said.

The exhausted shark was pulled up alongside the boat and a bunch of photos were taken, Long said.

"We got pictures of him and then revived him and released him," Long said.

Although the hammerhead was big, it was nowhere near a record.

"You have to get up to 900 pounds or better for that," Long said.

Dean Ferry 05-02-2008 12:51 PM

don't get in the water @ the beach, with a cut on your foot!!!! :evilb:

getchasum111 05-02-2008 02:02 PM

that had to be a blast though....

FeverMike 05-02-2008 06:12 PM

down from you in the Intracoastal waterway a guy jumped in the water off his dock to cool of on a hot summer day. He was eaten alive by a shark. This was just a few years ago!

Wardey 05-03-2008 09:50 AM

I remember that. Got bit by a bull in murky water in the evening. I have seen about an 6 foot bull shark cruise by my dock before in only about 3 feet of water. We have caught numerous 5 to 6 foot nurse sharks off there also. My son Dave III was wakeboarding down by Dunedin Causeway Bridge when he spotted what looked like a 8 ' to 10' Bull. He made sure he didn't fall.:D The sharks are there but they are not out to eat a human. Most of the time it is bite and release but sometimes with big sharks, that is fatal. I have been diving and seen numerous sharks including Bulls and have never had a problem. I still jump off my dock and swim. Dave

formula 382 sr-1 05-03-2008 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by FeverMike (Post 2546052)
down from you in the Intracoastal waterway a guy jumped in the water off his dock to cool of on a hot summer day. He was eaten alive by a shark. This was just a few years ago!

So much for being at the top of the food chain .:(

whoya 05-03-2008 05:56 PM

WOW
Just reading this and saw it was off Honeymoon Island. We were swiming off that Island a while back when we towed down from Cleveland. Seeing that thing around the Island makes us like Lake Erie more and more.

phragle 05-03-2008 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by whoya (Post 2546836)
WOW
Just reading this and saw it was off Honeymoon Island. We were swiming off that Island a while back when we towed down from Cleveland. Seeing that thing around the Island makes us like Lake Erie more and more.

yeah..just stay clear of the man eating carp!!! :cool-smiley-027:

florida gator 05-05-2008 04:38 PM

I saw about a 5' nurse shark up at the blue water in Homosassa yesterday. That is several miles up a spring fed fresh water river.

Which end of Honeymoon was that. I hang out at the North end of Caladessi sometimes.

FeverMike 05-07-2008 11:01 PM

Dave, I really miss going out in the Gulf and when I get hot just turning off thee engines and jumping in the water to cool off.

I'll admit it...I am too freakin' scared...I can afford to lose any more body parts!