Notices

Are cats really that dangerous?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Comanche:

There is no doubt that there are far more vee manufacturers and vee hulls on the water. Vees were introduced almost 20 years before cats and had a heck of a head start. This has created a rather tilted marketing structure based primarily on the obvious numbers and, secondarily, on the better living quarters in most vee hulls versus Cats. The safety, rough water, and speed issues are simply baloney subtly supported by the golf shirt wearing vee bottom marketing types and frequently ill informed barside discussions among vee owners (" I never been in a Cat, but I hear they flip!"). Couple that to the fact that a number of guys with little more than big checkbooks and egos have put themselves into the 120 plus MPH club without any experience or skill set, and most have done this in cats....sometimes too small and sometimes simply too fast.... but too many with disastrous results.....and Voila!.... the insurance companies ran for the hills.

The truth is that this is like comparing a Ferrari and a Lincoln with the argument that far more people get killed in Ferraris at 150 mph than in Lincolns......and then claiming that, based on these "facts", Lincolns handle better at high speed.

This whole issue is, was, and always will be short ( no reference to Reggie implied or intended ) sighted and a haven for subjective thinking.

T2x
I could not agree with you more. There will always be this debate, however, because (i) many "v-guys" will never get an opportunity to ride in a cat that is being driven by someone who knows what they are doing; and (ii) even if they do, they will be too proud to admit that a cat hull is better. I switched from v to cat 3 years ago and have not looked back. For performance and ride, at high speeds, the cat is without equal.

As for a v turning harder than a cat, I too used to believe that (even after I had bought my cat) until I had the pleasure of running a 28 Skater stock class outboard with Kirk Dunteman - he taught me how to make that boat do things I didn't believe it would do... and safely at that.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by dirtlawyer
I could not agree with you more. There will always be this debate, however, because (i) many "v-guys" will never get an opportunity to ride in a cat that is being driven by someone who knows what they are doing; and (ii) even if they do, they will be too proud to admit that a cat hull is better. I switched from v to cat 3 years ago and have not looked back. For performance and ride, at high speeds, the cat is without equal.

As for a v turning harder than a cat, I too used to believe that (even after I had bought my cat) until I had the pleasure of running a 28 Skater stock class outboard with Kirk Dunteman - he taught me how to make that boat do things I didn't believe it would do... and safely at that.
I agree i had the same experience running with Tony Caligure, then with Terry Ayres I couldn't believe how hard you could turn that 28 skater. Then when you start learning how to powerslide it in calm conditions , it's almost like drifting ! Too cool ! You can see some of the guys doing it on the class 3 race video over in dubai .
Old 05-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Stainless you must go back quite aways...willie diaz in elboss...the guy who built the motors for him back then builds our SUPERCAT motors NOW. Chuck Cice from United racing in Miami..He is now in Ohio.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Registered

hey tony how's it goin' i met you a few yrs ago when you were racing the old don q skater with terry. My 328 skater was right next to your 388 when they were getting rigged out at skater

Last edited by stainless; 05-10-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:30 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by byrideroffshore
Hey Stainless you must go back quite aways...willie diaz in elboss...the guy who built the motors for him back then builds our SUPERCAT motors NOW. Chuck Cice from United racing in Miami..He is now in Ohio.
Sorry Byrider, but Keith Eichkert, not United, built the engines for the El Boss Shadow Cat........ United did build the engines for a couple of Vince Rinaldi's Rolling Thunder hulls.

T2x
Old 05-11-2008, 10:34 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
T2x.....put away the buggy whip..........geez!!!!!
I presume that means that you have no factual counter point to my post, but you felt that you had to say something contrary nonetheless???

T2x
Old 05-11-2008, 10:36 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

One last point on cats' turning capability, watch a Champ Boat race in person and tell me cats can't turn. They are the fastest turning racing vehicles....of any kind....on the planet.

T2x
Old 05-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
Unfortunately I think its the speeds they are capable of that is the potential factor in the eyes of the insurance companies. Also typically with the same power, a cat is usually much faster of a hull.

There have been so many unfortunate incidents/accidents where guys were WAY over their heads in boats they had no right driving in the manner that they had. Several lost their lives, killed others or did significant damage. Both in cats and vees.

We had several incidents on our little inland lakes with guys in step bottom V hulls over the past couple years. I know of several guys whos first boat was a thirty plus something with big HP.

More money than brains I guess. Whatever the reason it sucks for the responsible boaters.
A lot of people like to boat. Few "boaters"
Old 05-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There were no vee's within a half mile of the Skater Freedom US1 and my 368 Skater in the Chicago 07 PR. 3 helicopter vids and numerous entrants will confirm the water conditions. Lots of modern big power 47+ and canopied race vee's were there. We had two girls LOLing in the boat too. Cat baby.
Attached Thumbnails Are cats really that dangerous?-c05-14-077.jpg   Are cats really that dangerous?-digital-file1-560%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by BLee; 05-12-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
There were no vee's within a half mile of the Skater Freedom US1 and my 368 Skater in the Chicago 07 PR. 3 helicopter vids and numerous entrants will confirm the water conditions. Lots of modern big power 47+ and canopied race vee's were there. We had two girls LOLing in the boat too. Cat baby.
That is a beautiful helo shot. What size waves?

Quick Reply: Are cats really that dangerous?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.