Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Are cats really that dangerous? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/185936-cats-really-dangerous.html)

PhantomChaos 05-12-2008 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 2554419)
I presume that means that you have no factual counter point to my post, but you felt that you had to say something contrary nonetheless???

:p:p:p:D

T2x

You are quite correct SIR! :D

TexomaPowerboater 05-12-2008 06:53 PM

Question for T2X: How does the placement of the prop (i.e. single engine - center vs twin engine) affect the speed, efficiency, and rough water ability on a cat? Is a single engine cat more safe and/or stable than a same size twin?

Comanche3Six 05-12-2008 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 2555791)
Question for T2X: How does the placement of the prop (i.e. single engine - center vs twin engine) affect the speed, efficiency, and rough water ability on a cat? Is a single engine cat more safe and/or stable than a same size twin?

I'm sure TX2 and Thor Heyerdahl ran into a similar question when they constructed Kon Tiki.

T2x 05-13-2008 07:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 2555791)

no........... for many reasons:

1. A single engine cat installation fills the tunnel exit adding compression and disturbing natural airflow. This engine placement will also tend to "trip" the hull upon re-entry after going airborne, perhaps increasing the tendency of the craft to stuff. The lone partial exception to this rule may be the above mentioned Champ boats which have such streamlined lower units and small propellers (see my avatar and prop pix below) that there is not as much disturbance or drag..... but there is still more than a dual application would create.

2. Twin engines allow for counter rotation and, if you spin them out, following the laws of nature and physics as God intended, you will achieve neutral torque and balance from the prop rotation.

3. In twin engine installations the sponsons protect the center section or upper drive components from random blasts of water at speed thereby adding durability to the drives. (when we raced triple outboard cats the center engine durability was always lower than the outboard mounted motors). Again you also reduce drag since most, if not all, of the gearcases' frontal area is "hidden" by the sponsons.

Of course these are just my humble opinions, based on decades of testing and development, rather than the "facts" that are readily available at Poker Run Cocktail parties and in West Coast Cat ads........... or from "State of the Art" Apache fans......:p

T2x

T2x 05-13-2008 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six (Post 2555814)
I'm sure TX2 and Thor Heyerdahl ran into a similar question when they constructed Kon Tiki.

Comanche3Dollar:

You took the words right out of Thor's mouth.

Tee TWO EXX

MikeyFIN 05-13-2008 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Airpacker (Post 2553319)
You're pretty funny for an OLD guy :p

Old guys usually know the best stories and jokes...

Now has anyone trying skating with using a single leg or using both ?
Which way is more stable turns better handles better and is faster ?

The answer is not a Fountain (with XXX monthly paments...).

Airpacker 05-13-2008 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 2556221)
no........... for many reasons:

1. A single engine cat installation fills the tunnel exit adding compression and disturbing natural airflow. This engine placement will also tend to "trip" the hull upon re-entry after going airborne, perhaps increasing the tendency of the craft to stuff. The lone partial exception to this rule may be the above mentioned Champ boats which have such streamlined lower units and small propellers (see my avatar and prop pix below) that there is not as much disturbance or drag..... but there is still more than a dual application would create.0
T2x

Drag??? What drag???

MikeyFIN 05-13-2008 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 2556221)
nor from "State of the Art" Apache fans......:p

T2x

Funny no one mentioned Larry Smith yet...regarding state of the art construction he was at the top of the game in monohulls at the time Apache came into the scene...

MikeyFIN 05-13-2008 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Airpacker (Post 2556293)
Drag??? What drag???

right there in the picture...if you can´t see it you´ve been into too many poker run cocktails...

Frequency 05-13-2008 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN (Post 2556291)
...Now has anyone trying skating with using a single leg or using both ?
Which way is more stable turns better handles better and is faster ? ...

It depends, are you standing still or moving? You can turn tighter faster on one leg.

I'm glad we're past the arguing stage. We're into the group hug, slapping each other on the back, remember the good ole' days stage. A question was asked that wasn't answered. Can a cat turn like a vee? I agree totally that a Champ boat will out turn a 47 Apache. What about size for size, weight for weight?

I've never been in a cat and am curious. :)