Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Are cats really that dangerous? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/185936-cats-really-dangerous.html)

T2x 05-13-2008 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Philip (Post 2556446)
what is the proper spelling?

Tee TWO EXX
or
Tee TWO EX ????

Tea TU excess

T2x 05-13-2008 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 2556408)
I read that but have not seen any figures,

Here is what they are currently claiming for f-1 cars.
around 900hp in a 1334lb chassis

They accelerate at 1.45g, brake at up to 6g's and corner at
2g at 70mph, 3g at 130 and 5-6g at 190

Turn 8 at the Istanbul Park circuit, a 190° relatively tight 4-apex corner, in which the cars maintain speeds between 265 km/h (165 mph) and 285 km/h (in 2006) and experience between 4.5g and 5.5g for 7 seconds - the longest sustained hard cornering in Formula 1.

Reno air racers unlimited class planes are often equipped for g-suits as some planes are capable of extreme g forces.

Obviously the champ boats are very spectacular and presumably utilize the very latest in modern data-logging, I would like to see the numbers that back up their claim

BTW the jet sprinters down under claim the following
Performance
Acceleration 2G’s force 0 to 120 kph (0 to 75 mph) in 2.3 seconds
Cornering 5 to 6 G’s of cornering force
From 900-1200 HP in a 1200lb boat

Years ago we did some g force testing in tunnel hulls and I am sure that they have newer data, but I recall that we pulled in excess of 6 g's and that was 30 years ago. Your Formula one course specs only prove my point....

A typical Champ boat turn is 180 degrees at 25-40 foot diameter and speeds over 100.......in under 2 seconds. NOTHING else will reverse its direction at those speeds in that time span........ simply because airplanes have nothing to grab on to and tire adhesion on a car or motorcycle will fail....

T2x

T2x 05-13-2008 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2556360)
Have you written a book yet? Can I financially back it, or at least get the bar tab after having a court reporter back up your mental hard drive?? :drink:

Mine will be out right after Richie Powers and Brownie finish theirs....... Fabio Buzzi already wrote one and its priceless.....

T2x

Brad Zastrow 05-13-2008 10:59 AM

My friends race champ boats and Formula 2 boats and I have been told they pull 5 g's in the corner. I have been to Indy car and boat races and the Champ boats are scary how hard they turn. I once was asked to hold a radar gun on a Champ boat testing for top speed. I was standing on the end of a pier watching him come staright for me. The first time he did it I stated backing up real fast as I was convinced he was going to kill me and then he turned around 75' from the pier and was going the other direction in about a 50' radious. There is no car in the world that can do that. They tell they stay full throttle and trim down, turn and hit the up button as soon as they turn to pop the nose coming out of the corner. I have been offered to drive one of those boats a few times and I declined.

hammer01 05-13-2008 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow (Post 2556462)
My friends race champ boats and Formula 2 boats and I have been told they pull 5 g's in the corner. I have been to Indy car and boat races and the Champ boats are scary how hard they turn. I once was asked to hold a radar gun on a Champ boat testing for top speed. I was standing on the end of a pier watching him come staright for me. The first time he did it I stated backing up real fast as I was convinced he was going to kill me and then he turned around 75' from the pier and was going the other direction in about a 50' radious. There is no car in the world that can do that. They tell they stay full throttle and trim down, turn and hit the up button as soon as they turn to pop the nose coming out of the corner. I have been offered to drive one of those boats a few times and I declined.

Brad, you are absolutely accurate in how cool it looks nearby when they turn on a dime. The Kankakee Regatta is held every year with the Champ boats typically being part of the festivities. I rode along with Bill Seebold in the Bud Light Champ boat (press version 2 seater) as the sponsor several years back and it was amazing the G's at just 100 mph in every turn. It was an incredible pull and acceleration out of the turns as well. I will definitely tell you that every year when there was wind and chop though, it made it scarier every year and many more flip-overs for us to deal with in the safety boats that I drove. Very cool and a lot of balls from these drivers.

Wobble 05-13-2008 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow (Post 2556462)

I found one quote from Terry Rinker that mentioned 4-5 g's. I completely agree that it appears that the champ boats are generating amazing cornering speeds, however if g-force is a measure of cornering speed in a given radius then a higher number would mean a higher speed?

Frequency 05-13-2008 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 2556473)
I found one quote from Terry Rinker that mentioned 4-5 g's. I completely agree that it appears that the champ boats are generating amazing cornering speeds, however if g-force is a measure of cornering speed in a given radius then a higher number would mean a higher speed?

Not necessarily. The g's you pull depends on your velocity and the radius of the turn. The tighter the radius, the higher the g's at a given speed.

hammer01 05-13-2008 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 2556366)
10 TO 12 FOOTER'S....AND NOBODY THAT WAS IN A SKATER GOT A DROP ON THEM!!!!!!:D:evilb::D

I will say from being in that run that is was brutal for a lot of the boats and it was pretty funny when Woodsy was asked if he would rather be in a 40+ ft V or a Cat if the waves were 10 footers and he comically responded that he would rather be on the shore watching!!!!!Funny as hell!!! Coming from the man who represents 2 of the best in each category, sometimes it is more fun with a cocktail and a view!!! It was amazing to see a lot of the awesome driving that took place regardless of V or Cat and it is very evident that knowing how to run your boat safely is the first priority!!!!Obviously watching Blee and Freedom, some can do it damn well and really fast!!!!!

T2x 05-13-2008 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 2556473)

Correct....... but the tiny radius these boats rotate in makes them "the tightest turning" race vehicles. Certainly there are higher G loads possible but to duplicate this dynamic you would need a centrifuge.........

In addition, the older hulls turned 90 degrees in a fraction of a second...almost a controlled "hook". My right arm came out of almost every heat, bleeding...even if I had a padded cushion on the cockpit....The friction and impacts caused the abrasions. I actually did hook in one race and my body went right through the cockpit leaving a tied sneaker on the throttle peddle. My belief is that we spiked at well over 7-8 g's at the actual turning instant in those days....... To this day I have "boat racers neck", a painful reminder of the helmet trying to continue in its original direction while the rest of me went with the seat twice each lap.

Thee tew ECKS

RBT 05-13-2008 12:23 PM

Rinker and most of the Champ field use Aim sports MXL data loggers. They record all axis of g force, I will find out tonight and see what the real numbers are.

RT