Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Are cats really that dangerous? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/185936-cats-really-dangerous.html)

cloke 05-04-2008 09:49 PM

All three incidents happened with a 37 Talon. Nothing disastrous but it did wander. Nortech has never had anything break.

Comanche3Six 05-04-2008 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by stainless (Post 2547735)
Take a look at the Ft. Lauderdale Race Pics! :D

LOL! It looks like a Cessna.

smokin' joe 05-04-2008 10:01 PM

A friend hit something at over 100 in his Superboat cat and lost the tie-bar on his # 4's but did not realize until trying a turn. At triple digits who knows what could happen? At the first sign of trouble, if not in a race or no one on your tail, you could cut both throttles and cat-glide to a stop...

BlackJack58 05-04-2008 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE (Post 2547595)
The insurance Co. seem to think if you live further north, your safer, when all it really is are the hurricanes and boating offshore. I am sure that some little paper azz-hole did a study and came up with these findings:Whatever: Its amazing what our Gov. lets insurance co. get away with.:party-smiley-004:

No -- what the insurance company thinks is that -- if you're living up North, you're only boating SIX months out of the year! :D :D :D

5050 05-04-2008 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE (Post 2547730)
I had a 32' Fountain...don't go offshore much, but when I did in 4 to 6' seas...it beat the **** out of everyone, slow or fast and didn't help much of the rigging out. Still I usually run rivers, the only chop I have are the boats that I overtake...:evilb:

Fountains are not known for their ride, not really a deep v.
You can run any Cigarette or Apache in 4 to 6s and not even know they are there.:party-smiley-004:

1CE 05-05-2008 01:44 AM

brother/sister

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six (Post 2547706)
I would love to see you doing 120 safely in water like this. Because I know Jerry can do 80 safely in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6CcRZ37vNs

why does that vid. say Apache Powerboat---is it not a SABRE "relative" ? ps water looks a bit big for a cat too ! ;)

1CE 05-05-2008 03:15 AM

Video

Originally Posted by 1CE (Post 2547846)
why does that vid. say Apache Powerboat---is it not a SABRE "relative" ? ps water looks a bit big for a cat too ! ;)

this vid. says "SABRE" but it's an "APACHE" ck. it out great vid. turn it up-volume-too !media.putfile.com/SABER---2006-SOTW-Poker-Run-60 :cool-smiley-011: hope u-like it !!!

Tres 05-05-2008 05:58 AM

truth of the matter, keep it safe no matter the hull design, since every bad event affects us all. The speeds at which many seem to seek can kill. Many more vee bottoms get into trouble bacause they are larger in numbers and owners are unaware of handling problems.

Airpacker 05-05-2008 07:14 AM

I have been in both designs and at speed, although a big cat can "feel very light", I still feel more secure than in a V.

Heck, 140 in Cat Astrophe feels like a drive to church on Sunday morning with Granpa at the wheel :)

Sorry Alec. :)

Airpacker 05-05-2008 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by 1bagger (Post 2547699)
I have never been on a fast Cat yet but wonder how fast you slow down . I know when I cut the power on my V hull the boat slows very quickly . Whats it like at 100 plus ? In case of an emergency .

Paul

Paul, I can tell you that with the very limited drag my Black Hawk creates, you need plenty o room to get the boat slowed down. It takes a while to spill out the air and stick the hull back to the water.I always make it a point of telling V drivers new to poker runs to NEVER slow down quickly infront of a cat or they may have some new passengers they weren't counting on.