Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are cats really that dangerous? >

Are cats really that dangerous?

Notices

Are cats really that dangerous?

Old 05-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been in both go-fast hulls and chose a v due to maneuverability, it always seemed like a v could turn easier and more safely than a cat. That accounts for alot on our smaller lakes when you find an idiot running on the wrong side coming around a turn. No doubt a cat could handle the big chop better than my step hull, but I'll beat him in the turns. Just got to hang with them long enough in the straight aways to get to the turns, lol
Old 05-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Airpacker
You might want to check on that assertation with the super cat guys. They usually run very fast in some very rough water.
That's what freaked me about about the accident, good driver, lots of race experience, then all done.

Then flip and it's all done.

I've been in plenty of "oh s**t" moments in my V but it always lands on it's feet and keeps on going.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
I would love to see you doing 120 safely in water like this. Because I know Jerry can do 80 safely in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6CcRZ37vNs
Was that video the Chicago Poker Run last year? We were in water just like running 110 in a cat.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

That video was the Chi town run! Just found the link. So you are saying that cats can not run fast like a big v in the rough. Seems like that big v was having a lot of problems in the rough. We were floating along for a nice ride with the front runners (cats). It gets old hearing how great V's are in the rough and cats can not run. Watch an offshore race.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
Other posters have mentioned that cats take a long time to slow down. How else can cats get ugly (in a way that Vs don't)?
A Big vee will land transom-first pretty much by itself. That is, unless you tab it down so badly, then power off the top of a big roller. Cats fly pretty much level. In big water, it's easier to stick the bow in and "stuff". Depending on the speed you're running, it can be an experience that ranges from wettening to damaging to lethal. It used to be that vees were safer, but when they started adding steps and such, that started to change.

It's not so much which is safer but how fast is too fast to have a chance of escaping uninjured and unbroken. This has quite a bit to do with driver skill and experience and ALOT to do with that individual's judgement. Some people who have spent lifetimes at high speeds are now dead from their comfort levels at speed and minor lapses in judgement.

I was just watching that Desert Storm clip where the guys broke at 160- they were still headed upstairs when it broke. I couldn't help but notice they were going 170 in fairly close proximity to land and other boats in a open-cockpit boat. They're wearing ball caps and what look to be mini-vests. Often times your own choices and actions dicatate the outcome.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stainless
How bout .......NO!..... Have you been to an offshore race lately?
No, I haven't seen an offshore race in years. The water is lighter than it's ever been in today's offshore racing.

The new big cats run better on bigger water than ever before, but there is still a point where it all goes the crap. So, now they handle 4-6 footers well at speed. How about 10 footers?

It's the basic design of the hull that causes the problem, and the basic design can't be changed or it won't be a cat anymore.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fountain4play
Bone Fish Grill....don't remember his name...took a while to find him if I remember correctly
36' Spectra. I thought it had 575SC Merc's. I had the Tampa news clipping on it. Possible blowover? Driver and two passengers. Both passengers basically unhurt. Did they ever find the Driver?
Old 05-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
No, I haven't seen an offshore race in years. The water is lighter than it's ever been in today's offshore racing.

The new big cats run better on bigger water than ever before, but there is still a point where it all goes the crap. So, now they handle 4-6 footers well at speed. How about 10 footers?

It's the basic design of the hull that causes the problem, and the basic design can't be changed or it won't be a cat anymore.
Sorry your wrong there buddy .. that thinking went out with the hoola hoop 30 yrs ago .. i raced a little 28 skater with 2 outboards in 10 footers in ocean city maryland and ran just as well if not better than art lilly in his 33 fountain with twin 7oo's... cat technology today far surpasses what a v can do .. just a fact
Old 05-05-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The gap has narrowed so severely because all these deep vees have been laid up potato chip thin and light. Physics is physics, boys. Either you move or the water does. Technology has absolutely nothing to do with it.

And I wouldn't do too much bragging about rough-water duels with a Fountain.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Registered

He had 1400 hp to our 560hp he was also the b class national and world champion that yr.

Quick Reply: Are cats really that dangerous?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.