Notices

Are cats really that dangerous?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:59 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T2x
Nope and nope........

You have to see a Champ boat turn to believe it.........I speak from first hand racing experience in the cockpit.......the G's are indescribable.

From the Champ Boat website.........

"High Speed Turns and Pure Excitement
High speeds, sharp turns and constant action
• Due to the shape of their tunnel hulls, Champ Boats are able to turn almost instantaneously
Incurring more "G" forces than any other racing machine on earth
• Enables them to race close to river banks and lake shores
• Provides excellent spectator viewing

Champ Class (F1)
• Nearly identical to the Formula 1 machines raced internationally on the UIM circuit
• Champ Boats are 17 feet long and weigh just 1,150 pounds with driver
• 380-horsepower engines enable them to reach speeds of 140 miles per hour "

T2x

I read that but have not seen any figures,

Here is what they are currently claiming for f-1 cars.
around 900hp in a 1334lb chassis

They accelerate at 1.45g, brake at up to 6g's and corner at
2g at 70mph, 3g at 130 and 5-6g at 190

Turn 8 at the Istanbul Park circuit, a 190° relatively tight 4-apex corner, in which the cars maintain speeds between 265 km/h (165 mph) and 285 km/h (in 2006) and experience between 4.5g and 5.5g for 7 seconds - the longest sustained hard cornering in Formula 1.

Reno air racers unlimited class planes are often equipped for g-suits as some planes are capable of extreme g forces.

Obviously the champ boats are very spectacular and presumably utilize the very latest in modern data-logging, I would like to see the numbers that back up their claim

BTW the jet sprinters down under claim the following
Performance
Acceleration 2G’s force 0 to 120 kph (0 to 75 mph) in 2.3 seconds
Cornering 5 to 6 G’s of cornering force
From 900-1200 HP in a 1200lb boat

Last edited by Wobble; 05-13-2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: missed info and typo
Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??????

Originally Posted by T2x
Comanche3Dollar:

You took the words right out of Thor's mouth.

Tee TWO EXX
what is the proper spelling?

Tee TWO EXX
or
Tee TWO EX ????
Old 05-13-2008, 10:45 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Frequency
It depends, are you standing still or moving? You can turn tighter faster on one leg.

I'm glad we're past the arguing stage. We're into the group hug, slapping each other on the back, remember the good ole' days stage. A question was asked that wasn't answered. Can a cat turn like a vee? I agree totally that a Champ boat will out turn a 47 Apache. What about size for size, weight for weight?

I've never been in a cat and am curious.
Yes a Cat will turn like a vee...without the banking......

In both hull types, I wouldn't suggest continual race turns in a chop if the drives are spinning in......

T2x
Old 05-13-2008, 10:47 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Airpacker
Look closer Mikey. I have but two prop blades and part of a skeg in the water. Thats it. No bullet in the water at all.

Hey Rich, notice how the center pod is much shorter than the sponsons?
I would still suggest that it's more of a trimaran than a cat in that it has two and a half tunnels instead of one.........

T2x
Old 05-13-2008, 10:48 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Philip
what is the proper spelling?

Tee TWO EXX
or
Tee TWO EX ????
Tea TU excess
Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Wobble
I read that but have not seen any figures,

Here is what they are currently claiming for f-1 cars.
around 900hp in a 1334lb chassis

They accelerate at 1.45g, brake at up to 6g's and corner at
2g at 70mph, 3g at 130 and 5-6g at 190

Turn 8 at the Istanbul Park circuit, a 190° relatively tight 4-apex corner, in which the cars maintain speeds between 265 km/h (165 mph) and 285 km/h (in 2006) and experience between 4.5g and 5.5g for 7 seconds - the longest sustained hard cornering in Formula 1.

Reno air racers unlimited class planes are often equipped for g-suits as some planes are capable of extreme g forces.

Obviously the champ boats are very spectacular and presumably utilize the very latest in modern data-logging, I would like to see the numbers that back up their claim

BTW the jet sprinters down under claim the following
Performance
Acceleration 2G’s force 0 to 120 kph (0 to 75 mph) in 2.3 seconds
Cornering 5 to 6 G’s of cornering force
From 900-1200 HP in a 1200lb boat
Years ago we did some g force testing in tunnel hulls and I am sure that they have newer data, but I recall that we pulled in excess of 6 g's and that was 30 years ago. Your Formula one course specs only prove my point....

A typical Champ boat turn is 180 degrees at 25-40 foot diameter and speeds over 100.......in under 2 seconds. NOTHING else will reverse its direction at those speeds in that time span........ simply because airplanes have nothing to grab on to and tire adhesion on a car or motorcycle will fail....

T2x
Old 05-13-2008, 10:57 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BLee
Have you written a book yet? Can I financially back it, or at least get the bar tab after having a court reporter back up your mental hard drive??
Mine will be out right after Richie Powers and Brownie finish theirs....... Fabio Buzzi already wrote one and its priceless.....

T2x
Old 05-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

My friends race champ boats and Formula 2 boats and I have been told they pull 5 g's in the corner. I have been to Indy car and boat races and the Champ boats are scary how hard they turn. I once was asked to hold a radar gun on a Champ boat testing for top speed. I was standing on the end of a pier watching him come staright for me. The first time he did it I stated backing up real fast as I was convinced he was going to kill me and then he turned around 75' from the pier and was going the other direction in about a 50' radious. There is no car in the world that can do that. They tell they stay full throttle and trim down, turn and hit the up button as soon as they turn to pop the nose coming out of the corner. I have been offered to drive one of those boats a few times and I declined.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
My friends race champ boats and Formula 2 boats and I have been told they pull 5 g's in the corner. I have been to Indy car and boat races and the Champ boats are scary how hard they turn. I once was asked to hold a radar gun on a Champ boat testing for top speed. I was standing on the end of a pier watching him come staright for me. The first time he did it I stated backing up real fast as I was convinced he was going to kill me and then he turned around 75' from the pier and was going the other direction in about a 50' radious. There is no car in the world that can do that. They tell they stay full throttle and trim down, turn and hit the up button as soon as they turn to pop the nose coming out of the corner. I have been offered to drive one of those boats a few times and I declined.
Brad, you are absolutely accurate in how cool it looks nearby when they turn on a dime. The Kankakee Regatta is held every year with the Champ boats typically being part of the festivities. I rode along with Bill Seebold in the Bud Light Champ boat (press version 2 seater) as the sponsor several years back and it was amazing the G's at just 100 mph in every turn. It was an incredible pull and acceleration out of the turns as well. I will definitely tell you that every year when there was wind and chop though, it made it scarier every year and many more flip-overs for us to deal with in the safety boats that I drove. Very cool and a lot of balls from these drivers.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:12 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I found one quote from Terry Rinker that mentioned 4-5 g's. I completely agree that it appears that the champ boats are generating amazing cornering speeds, however if g-force is a measure of cornering speed in a given radius then a higher number would mean a higher speed?

Last edited by Wobble; 05-13-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: spell

Quick Reply: Are cats really that dangerous?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.