Notices

Are cats really that dangerous?

Old 05-13-2008, 01:26 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
remember a sneeze and cough can generate 2-3 g's...

Which begs the question, how many g's can an old fart handle?.......

T2x
Old 05-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just trying to dumb it down for the masses.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
Which begs the question, how many g's can an old fart handle?.......

T2x
Or the more interesting question: If you sneeze and fart at the same time, do the forces add or subtract?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:36 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RBT
Direct from Rinkers team.
In race conditions, sustained and consistant 5.5g's in the turns, and 2g accelerating.
That is bad to the bone, jet sprinters make the same claims, lower top speeds though and way more power to get the same results.

I think we can agree that F-1 Champ boats are the most agile racing machines on the planet

The Reno unlimited air racers obviously generate much higher g-loads (um... vector acceleration deltas)in the air, and F-1 cars can pull 6g's on the ground.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:38 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Frequency
Or the more interesting question: If you sneeze and fart at the same time, do the forces add or subtract?
I can just picture him spinning end over end
Old 05-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wobble
I bet if you bent over and created a liner opposing reaction they would theoretically cancel each other out. You just might be a little bit shorter from the compression. HAHAHA
Old 05-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Registered

:
Originally Posted by Wobble
So that's why cats are prone to flip. You just answered the question! Cats ARE more dangerous!!! (if you have gas)
Old 05-13-2008, 02:44 PM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I am not sure how relevant this is, but I come from small outboards. We had/have a class called Mod-vp, the tunnel hulls absolutely crushed the Vee hulls, even T2x's favorite Allison Crafts. They dominated top speed, turning, and really excelled in the rough ( the vees would initially would accelerate harder... untill we got air under us). Now it isn't rough like offshore, but on a size scale, big waves. And like with most things, if you can span it you can run it.
Years ago I ran down a 24' Skater in 2 foot chop ( enough that the Skater was taking air)... in an STV at 110 mph, there isn't an Allison on earth that can run in half that water at near that speed. Albeit the water conditions were that I could span the waves and if the frequency were much different it could have halved my speed.

....for whatever that is worth.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:30 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

So we have concluded that cats are not inherently more dangerous than vees. In addition they are faster and handle better length for length. So what, then, is the problem?

Simply put, because cats can run faster than vees, comfortably, in most conditions, people who own them tend to spend more time at higher speeds. ( My 28 Skater probably averages 90-100 mph while cruising. No comparable length vee hull can make that claim).

In addition the owners of the most exotic cats don't necessarily have the seat time or experience to handle these speeds on the water and, in truth cats feel like they are going slower than a vee due to the added surface/wave contact and occilations inherent in a mono hull.

More time at higher speeds in a craft which feels slower to an inexperienced driver is not a good recipe for safety and this, IMHO, is the reason that cats have received a bum rap.

The truth is that insurance companies need to concentrate on average speeds of a specific craft...... as well as driver experience at speed........and set rates accordingly. I see no reason why a mega powered, 150 mph, Outer Limits or Fountain Vee should have any lower rate than a 150 mph Skater Cat of similar length. In fact the rates should probably be higher for the vee. On the other hand a 28 foot Pantera with similar power to my 28 Skater should have a lower rate......it simply can't go as fast nor would you want to.

T2x
Old 05-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
So we have concluded that cats are not inherently more dangerous than vees. In addition they are faster and handle better length for length. So what, then, is the problem?

Simply put, because cats can run faster than vees, comfortably, in most conditions, people who own them tend to spend more time at higher speeds. ( My 28 Skater probably averages 90-100 mph while cruising. No comparable length vee hull can make that claim).

In addition the owners of the most exotic cats don't necessarily have the seat time or experience to handle these speeds on the water and, in truth cats feel like they are going slower than a vee due to the added surface/wave contact and occilations inherent in a mono hull.

More time at higher speeds in a craft which feels slower to an inexperienced driver is not a good recipe for safety and this, IMHO, is the reason that cats have received a bum rap.

The truth is that insurance companies need to concentrate on average speeds of a specific craft...... as well as driver experience at speed........and set rates accordingly. I see no reason why a mega powered, 150 mph, Outer Limits or Fountain Vee should have any lower rate than a 150 mph Skater Cat of similar length. In fact the rates should probably be higher for the vee. On the other hand a 28 foot Pantera with similar power to my 28 Skater should have a lower rate......it simply can't go as fast nor would you want to.

T2x
That's all very reasonable, but for some reason insurance basically refuses to cover a new cat owner even in a 75 mph cat, while willing to write it for a V. That's where I get lost in their logic.

Also, the thought that because your boat "will go" a certain top speed equates to that's what you always are doing is asenine to me.

That'd be like insuring cars based on top speed alone. I'd only be interested in severely speed limited "quick cars". 0-100 in 8, but since you can't go over 100 insurance would be cheap.

Quick Reply: Are cats really that dangerous?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.