Are cats really that dangerous? >

Are cats really that dangerous?

Notices

Are cats really that dangerous?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:19 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are these speed limits you speak of?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Center pod cats will have a softer ride at sub 100 mph speeds. I have owned three. The true cats will have a slight bow steer and have a rough ride (like a v) untill you pack air and then it is great. Center pod cats just will not run with a true cat in rough water.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
I'll have what he is drinking
I guess you missed P 1 last year overseas, they ran in some big water at speed.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 209 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
Center pod cats will have a softer ride at sub 100 mph speeds. I have owned three. The true cats will have a slight bow steer and have a rough ride (like a v) untill you pack air and then it is great. Center pod cats just will not run with a true cat in rough water.

You will have an opportunity to quiz some of the pioneers in the sport on cat development.

This is a photo of Mel Riggs, ( A Legend who will be at the Don Aronow Memorial Race )
changing a broken prop on a Ron Jones tunnel hull offshore boat, in 1970 at the California Hennessy Cup.

They had thrown a prop blade, changed it, made up a lot of time and then ....ran out of gas 15 miles from the finish.
Attached Thumbnails Are cats really that dangerous?-mel-riggs0001-small-.jpg  
Old 05-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned and raced both, I would take a Cat over the Vee every time. A modern well built race cat (MTI, Skater, Mystic) will win in any conditions vs a comparable Vee (Skater, Fountain, Outerlimits)

Unlimited Cat vs Unlimited Vee = Cat wins
SCL vs SV = Cat wins

Pleasure boating may be different, but when it comes to speed, safety and winning, I'll take one of those Cats every time.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
Man that's the best picture of any boat I've ever had. The guy who shot it is a friend of Zastro's, and offered to print a fullsize for me but stopped returning messages for some reason. That's the only copy I have and it is too small to enlarge. I was gonna pay too!

I would rather Mark Smith or someone who ran the run give you the wave size. Seems everyone has their own version of how big water is, so I'd like you to have an unbiased opinion!
Send me an email and I will put you in touch with Lee Hogan. Maybe he can send you a digital hi-resolution photo. He did this for me and I made a poster out of shot that turned out great!
[email protected]
Old 05-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
I guess you missed P 1 last year overseas, they ran in some big water at speed.
Good guess, post some pics.
Thanks
Ed
Old 05-14-2008, 03:48 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tbanzer
Would that be Tonawanda Ny for the Hydroplane races this June?
No the Antique event in early September.... We will launch it on Memorial Day weekend for the first tests.

T2x
Old 05-14-2008, 03:54 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Another question for T2X: In regards to trimarans (pretty funny analogy by the way). Is a trimaran (center pod) cat more or less safe than a true cat? Can a trimaran flip more easily than a true cat? Can I assume the true cat is faster than the same size trimaran cat??? Which one is more likely to blow over? Which one will handle the rough better? Which one typically has a better ride, or is there any difference in ride quality? Sorry for all the questions.
I feel like I am going to regret this....but.......

Most of "center pod" cats I can think of were designed and or built in the land of fruits and nuts...... and you know my thoughts on that issue.......derivative, ungainly, nose heavy...etc, etc... There is, of course, one exception to that. The old Powercats were originally built in Bellflower, Ca....but that was back in the late 50's and early 60's, so maybe that doesn't count.

Without a doubt the best center pod "cat" I can think of is the Talon, but, of course, that one came out of Florida, I believe....

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 05-14-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:02 PM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

And the Talon 25 is likely one of the most splashed hulls ( in cat form ) of all time.
Though, I am not sure how well it was ever replicated.

Quick Reply: Are cats really that dangerous?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.