Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Carb and shift interupter issue. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/186101-carb-shift-interupter-issue.html)

YOLO 05-06-2008 03:34 PM

Carb and shift interupter issue.

So.. I hope everyone is doing great..
Here is my question.. Upon luanch the boat seem to struggle with getting gas..when gas was dropped intot he carb from a bottle is ran great then eventually would starve it self or would stall..Nothing like a boat at the launch that would not start.. anyways.. I left the boat and came back to it a few hrs later and it started first try with me not having to put any gas into it.. then after 5 mins it stalled..

I looked around and found that there was a small pc of steel that i think it part of the shift interupter.. I studied it nad found that if it touched a certain contact point it would shut the engine down.

I flattened it out a bit and tighted up the screw.. the engine started right up..and ran for 20 minutes..I then put it into gear and took it out in the lake and drove around with no issues..

where my biggest issue lies is that I do not se a whole lot of fule dumping intot he carb fromt eh jets.. it is an Edlebrock carb.. I think around 750.

could the accelerator pump not be primed and or just dried out fromthe winter??? or do you guys think I have fixed the issue...

Griff 05-06-2008 05:52 PM

The fuel issue has nothing to do witht the shift interupt switch. Weber/edlebock carbs are notorious for leaking the fuel out of the bowls as they get older when not being used for while.

You shouldn't see any fuel going into the carb when at idle. its in the idle circuit.

pump the throttle and warm it up for 10 mins. If anything, you have a problem with the choke.

YOLO 05-06-2008 06:10 PM

yea.. that was my point.. I wondered if it was an issue with thew shift interupter and not the fuel after all.?? while at idle shoudl the large butterflies on the two large barrels be open becaus they are.,.I thought they were only to ope under throttle..

Griff 05-06-2008 09:28 PM

i think you're talikng about the choke butterflies. If so, then it depends. Actually, chokes on boats are not really needed and often times just don't work right anyway. They might be closed or partly closed on a cold start up, otherwise, they should stay open.

hunster 05-07-2008 09:13 AM

If they are edelbrocks and not stock weber merc carbs they probably have the electric choke pull off. Check that it works.

VetteLT193 05-07-2008 10:15 AM

sometimes simply not enough fuel in the bowls. like Griff said the older carbs tend to leak out the gas over time.

When I bought my boat it was setup with a low pressure electric fuel pump. Between the fuel pump and the carb is an in line hand pump... the kind you see on outboard motors.

I laughed when I bought the boat and I planned on taking it out as the first item on my list of things to do. But, I quickly realized why the guy put it there. If I pump the hand pump until the bowls are full the boat starts on the first crank, stays running, and all is good. If I don't, starting is a pain and so is keeping it running.

Anyway, it looks ridiculous but that stupid hand pump is still installed.