Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   When to change the sea pump housing? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/186320-when-change-sea-pump-housing.html)

MacGyver 05-09-2008 05:03 PM

When to change the sea pump housing?

3 Attachment(s)
Is this bad or is time for a new housing?

US1 Fountain 05-09-2008 05:46 PM

I replace mine every other yr. They always have the melted appearance at the end as yours does. I think that is normal wear. The 2 grooves are more than what I see normally.

You got it apart, put in a new kit.

I doubt it's needed, but I always sand the mold parting lines smooth on the inside too. Figure might as well eleminate those sharp edges to keep them from cutting the new impellor. Only takes a minute to do.

MOBILEMERCMAN 05-09-2008 05:54 PM

There is a plug with a separate number that fills the void and the end of the shaft. Don't know why merc doesn't put it in the kit but most people omit it. That housing looks like you have sand there. Any way like US1 says change the whole kit housing and all. There is much at stake. if you do a lot of boating 100 plus hours and have sand change impeller every season.

obnoxus 05-09-2008 06:07 PM

There is a rule of thumb,,,, throw it in the lake and see if it floats,,, if it does,,,,you can reuse it !!!

MacGyver 05-09-2008 06:08 PM

Yeah, I sucked up a crapload of sand last summer when I came off plane at a local hotspot. The water level was really low...my bad. The sea strainer caught a bunch of the sand, but I guess quite a bit got through. Now I'm wondering how much got into the engine and has settled in?

offshoredrillin 05-09-2008 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN (Post 2553359)
There is a plug with a separate number that fills the void and the end of the shaft. Don't know why merc doesn't put it in the kit but most people omit it. That housing looks like you have sand there. Any way like US1 says change the whole kit housing and all. There is much at stake. if you do a lot of boating 100 plus hours and have sand change impeller every season.

exactly, if you cant find that rubber plug and have some flat rubber stock around an 18mm socket is the right size to make it. but you knew that didnt ya jim? ;)

t500hps 05-09-2008 07:36 PM

I change the impeller AND the housing EVERY spring just in case...

BillR 05-10-2008 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN (Post 2553359)
There is a plug with a separate number that fills the void and the end of the shaft. Don't know why merc doesn't put it in the kit but most people omit it.

Never heard of that or seen one. More info please. :readinghelp:

offshoredrillin 05-10-2008 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by BillR (Post 2553676)
Never heard of that or seen one. More info please. :readinghelp:

it's a round piece of rubber that covers the shaft and goes against the back of the housing. Helps with pressure and stops any debris if sucked up from entering shaft. Also acts as a spacer.

MOBILEMERCMAN 05-10-2008 08:49 AM

BillR, The part # is 19-59504. It is shown in the break down on 420's and 425's. It was used on the 2 piece sea pumps. I doesn't show up on the one piece cards. I can only guess since the impellers got re-engineered to fail by third season { I say in jest } they don't get included in the one piece housing pix. Any way they will help the housing to wear evenly on the end.