Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Buying a boat in this Market? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/186472-buying-boat-market.html)

Quicksilver 05-12-2008 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by LostinBoston (Post 2555490)
great time to buy now. Like its been said, somone with a 36ft 525 boat is probably not hurting for money and will not give it away. If they cant afford it and need to give it away, the boat is probably not properly maintained.

Yeh be careful, a lot used their atms, I mean homes, and weren't boaters before and wanted a "me-too" toy. I've seen some new boats without even basic maintenance done.

CAP071 05-12-2008 10:12 PM

My mother worked for a pretty large boat trailer co. up here in Pa. she was laid off, and they said they may even come close to shutting down thats how bad it is for smaller boat sales. I am looking at a few used boats now. I'm gonna low ball them see how it goes.

Planetwarmer 05-12-2008 10:40 PM

You could just join the Navy. free gas and there are plenty of 30 + footers!:p

Expensive Date 05-12-2008 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Need-the-Speed (Post 2555990)
I'm confused, do people actually think the price of gas is going to go down.....ever?:confused: You can pretty much forget that idea. With that being said, if you are basing your decision to purchase a performance boat contingent upon gas prices this may be the wrong hobby to get involved in.

I can remember in the not so distant past that they said real estate will never go down.....We won't see a $1.75 again but we may see $2.50

Jupiter Sunsation 05-13-2008 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Expensive Date (Post 2556090)
I can remember in the not so distant past that they said real estate will never go down.....We won't see a $1.75 again but we may see $2.50

Actually the quote is "historically real estate has never lost its value." If you viewed RE on a timeline you will see peaks and valleys but you will it is always an upward slope on the timeline.

Ryan8886 05-13-2008 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by LostinBoston (Post 2555490)
great time to buy now. Like its been said, somone with a 36ft 525 boat is probably not hurting for money and will not give it away. If they cant afford it and need to give it away, the boat is probably not properly maintained.

Very good point. I bought my boat last November and got a very good deal on it. He'd reached the point of just wanting to unload. However also spent 13K over the winter making things right on it.....stereo, life vests, gps, vhf, some hull repair, etc. It all adds up. BTW- what kinda chump puts motor oil in the outdrives and trim pumps??? :( Just make sure that you have some extra cash to blow on the stuff that always pops up. Still...got into a 32' for under 50K. :cool-smiley-011:

Jupiter Sunsation 05-13-2008 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by boating37 (Post 2554989)
Just would like to know some others feed back on buying a boat in this bad market.Starting to look at getting another boat 32 to 36 ft , with twin 525hp, I have 3 boats that I like,
but don't know if I should wait see if prices come down a little.
Becaause with gas prices and the econmy so bad whos going out buying boats like this right now.

Show up with an offer and you might own a boat by Memorial Day. The boat values are only going down (and definitely not as fast as the payment book). The guys with 32-36 footers with 525's probably have payment books which may dictate the resale value in some cases (if they owe 100K, you probably are not going to get the boat for 75K if they have to come out of pocket 25K to payoff the note). The 525's came out about 5 years ago so you are looking at newer stuff so if it is a Fountain/Formula you may be able to buy it right since they are mass produced and there maybe many for sale right now.

Need-the-Speed 05-13-2008 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Expensive Date (Post 2556090)

$2.50 would be great. I just don't see the demand for oil going down anytime soon. Especially if you look globally. China is dragging us down.

ApachePete 05-13-2008 10:41 AM

Prices of used boats, like houses, have much further to fall, IMO. :(

By next Fall, some sellers will be getting the picture, and better deals might be had.

Will also be many more repos, so banks will be more hungry to sell.

Patience will be rewarded.

FeverMike 05-13-2008 10:44 AM

I know how hard it is to sell a used boat even in like new condition but I can only imagine how hard it is to sell a new boat these days.
A lot of people are still making good money but they are making the same money they made 5 years ago and the cost of running a boat in the last 5 years has about tripled. I live in a boating neighborhood and at the last home owners meeting some of us got on the topic of boating and a lot of us do not want to pay the money to boat and are finding other hobbies.