If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Boats:
    Making hot chicks hotter since 2010
    Blue Martini Hall of Fame
    I pumped 50+ gals into the freshwater tank of a Sea Ray about 10 years ago. Holy Chit what a mess
    "Friends don't let friends roll around in trash cans" - OSO Steve

Gold Member Gold Member
    My Boats:
    Wellcraft Excalibur 26
    Cicero, NY
    Last season where I get gas the Marina pumped 150 gallon of gas into the water tank of a 40ft cruzer in front of me. Just got there when they were trying to figure out what to do other then give the guy his money back. Cant imaging that fresh water will taste good any time soon.

Funny thing is I almost understand because my gas cap and water cap look identical - so I see how the mistake could be made if your not filling your own boat.

VIP Member VIP Member
    Worked on a gas dock for seven years when I was younger. That would happen all the time in the old Chris Crafts. The flag holder was in the rear with the fuel fill and saw many an owner fill the wrong hole. Many people on the boat, beer in hand, what a mess.
    At Channel Marina at the Weirs channel in NH the dock boy filled the bilge and it then went onto the cabin floor. He then went and got a shop vac and guess what happened. He was lucky to live after that one.

Charter Member #1055/Moderator Charter Member GO4BROKE's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Sonic 386
    I  Voted
    A cruiser here in central NY filled his water tankwith gas. Somone flushed a toilet, fumes filled the boat. He continued to drive it and it blew up in a lock on the Erie canal. Lucky for him it was a flybridge, he and his wife were blown out, just had broken legs if I remember right.

S.O.B (single O/B) now Platinum Member t500hps's Avatar
    Richmond VA
    A buddy put 40 gallons in his fresh water tank 10 years ago......took all summer of flushing to get that smell/taste out of that water.

I've heard of it happening around here about once a year.

Platinum Member Platinum Member Reindl Powerboats's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Reindl 28 Vamp, Reindl One Design
    Chris Reindl

My Boats:
    2005 42' EX //twin 525's
    Seabrook, Tx
    More common than I would have thought.

My Boats:
    Don't even mention the word boat
    Tampa, Indian Shores Beach
    It is more common than one would think, a mistake people usually make just one time. Just be glad no one was smoking on the boat.

My Boats:
    one slow Fountain, one fast ice boat.
    Traverse City, Michigan
    My son accidently pumped gas into a rod holder on an old Mako I once owned. The fuel fill was located flush and about one foot ahead of a rod holder. The boat was on a trailer and I had removed the fuel fill cap and he reached up and inserted the filler nozzle into the rod holder and started pumping. Fortunatly I looked and sensed something was wrong and stopped him. About a half gallon was pumped through the rod holder and onto the deck. Fortunatly with a glass liner and scuppers we washed the gas out and aired everything out while pulling the trailer about 70 mph.
    I've heard of people pumping huge quantities of diesel into rod holders on big sportfisher.

SORE MEMBER Platinum Member Wobble's Avatar
    My Boats:
    SeaDoo RXP & RXP-X, Stryker Equalizer 28, Eliminator Daytona Jet
    2950'49.74"N 95 5'17.55"W.......TEXAS
    Quote Originally Posted by BY U BOY View Post
    I have heard of people pumping the fuel into the fresh water tank but never a rod holder.
    I was on am express cruiser making the Lake Charles run about ten years ago, the skipper pumped the gas at 6am and was wondering aloud why it only held forty gallons. ( he had very similar metal fillers about 10" apart)

When we got to Orange around 11am we went for a swim, first girl back on the boat uses the stern shower and pumps gas all over her.

gas was in the ice-makers too. Had to remove the fresh water tank, both fridges, water heater and most of the lines.

I consider myself very lucky to have made it off that boat that day

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast